GDT: Gold Medal Game • Canada 3, Russia 5 • Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammerwielder

Jan 6, 2008
Canada
Don't come here and talk about rubbing it in. As far as I know the Swedish fans cheered and congratulated Russia on their win. That's all.

No. The signs were from the Swedish team. Not the fans. We can say and do what we want on here and in the stands, we're just fans, but when the behaviour is that of the team it is a different matter.

I would have thought that if you were going home empty-handed and wanted to hand out congratulations with respect to a game in which you did not participate, the sporting thing to do would be to congratulate both participants. Given the controversy that already existed between the Swedish and Canadian teams and coaches, Team Sweden will never be able to convince the Canadians that what it did instead was above board. Like it or not, it will be a strong motivator for some time to come for Canadian teams in future games against Sweden.

Klaus

Teemu!
May 8, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
Is this thread really necessary...

The game isn't being discussed nor is it likely going to be. Probably just gonna turn into another pissing match

Kiefer

Jun 28, 2004
Sweden
No. The signs were from the Swedish team. Not the fans. We can say and do what we want on here and in the stands, we're just fans, but when the behaviour is that of the team it is a different matter.

I would have thought that if you were going home empty-handed and wanted to hand out congratulations with respect to a game in which you did not participate, the sporting thing to do would be to congratulate both participants. Given the controversy that already existed between the Swedish and Canadian teams and coaches, Team Sweden will never be able to convince the Canadians that what it did instead was above board. Like it or not, it will be a strong motivator for some time to come for Canadian teams in future games against Sweden.

Like I said in a previous post, players from Team Sweden was at the game. I have no idea who put that sign up, but it was a congrats to Russia. Why you see this reflect back negative on you is beyond me.

Jun 30, 2008
Sweden
Geez, you Canadians need to stop being so pissy about this whole thing. Man up, will you? Please. Because it's kinda sad. Yeah, you lost, you have the right to be disappointed with that, but c'mon. Stop whining about how the Swedish team congratulated the Russians.

Charlie Milles*

So why the hell are you whining about what Team Sweden do?
Because they're arrogant little punks; they always have been.

If the Belorussians were acting like little brats, I'd call them on it too.

Ryan1019

Nov 27, 2010
People need to calm down. Canada, we get it, you'll always be at the top of the list, I dont see the point in trying so hard to rub it in everybody's face. I'm very happy Russia won and thought the sign on the locker room door was very classy by Sweden.

Humphrey*

Is this thread really necessary...

The game isn't being discussed nor is it likely going to be. Probably just gonna turn into another pissing match
the GDT for the US/CAN semi final game was still going yesterday afternoon. I didn't see any Canadians complaining about it.

hammerwielder

Jan 6, 2008
Canada
So why the hell are you whining about what Team Sweden do?

I guess when you go about claiming your team and fans are all class while branding Canadians as arrogant and classless, and at the same time your team is carrying out this kind of passive-aggressive nonsense, you're going to get called out on that.

To return to the topic, I think the third period of last night's game has to be put in context. That was the eighth meeting between essentially the same Russian team and Canadian teams in the past two months. In the Super Series, the Russians played a total of six games against all-star teams from each of the three Canadian junior leagues. Four of the games were decided by one goal or less (two were shootouts), while one was a 4-0 Canadian win, and the other a 5-2 Russian win. Russia won 4 games and lost 2 against essentially Canada A, Canada B and Canada C. That shows the depth of Canadian junior hockey.

dookers9

Mar 30, 2008
Edmonton
Here's hoping this thread is shut by a mod before the collective maturity level shown by recent posters drops below age 8.

Canadians (of which I happen to be one) need to take a pill and relax. Despite what TSN would suggest, it ISN'T the end of the world that we lost. Life goes on. You're ASKING for the taunts as long as you're wigging out.

And those getting their kicks from pushing the buttons of overreacting and hurting Canucks must surely have something better to do. If not... I feel for you.

Kiefer

Jun 28, 2004
Sweden
And those getting their kicks from pushing the buttons of overreacting and hurting Canucks must surely have something better to do. If not... I feel for you.

I guess that one is directed to me.

I'm only responding. I do not get a kick from this, I'm just tired of the various attacks on Team Sweden.

Jun 30, 2008
Sweden
Seriously? There's classless people from every bloody nation on the earth, and I honestly don't think we were disrespectful. Besides, I know how pissy some of you Canadians became over Rönnbergs comments after we won over you, but c'mon. Think for a while, he's not all that great at English, so perhaps you lovely fellas misunderstood the good ol' lad? Besides, it's quite clear what Rönnberg meant, he just thought that we "controlled" the game better against you guys.

Lee Van Cleef*

Canada deserved to lose for their fans and players arrogance. It is so fun seeing all the tools whine about absolutely everything.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Congrats to the Russians, any team that completes three comebacks of that magnitude deserves to have a gold medal around their necks, and this is coming from a die-hard Canadian. Despite the meltdown, I'm proud of the way this team played, especially in the semis when they played an almost perfect game to knockoff a more talented American team. I already can't wait for the WJC next year, as Canada will be looking for payback at home. THIS IS STILL OUTHOUSE- DON'T FORGET IT!

RJ8812*

anyone find out what the russians were yelling into the camera after they won? was it just basic championship mumbo jumbo, or was there more to it?

RJ8812*

Canada deserved to lose for their fans and players arrogance. It is so fun seeing all the tools whine about absolutely everything.

seriously?

what did we whine about? we lost because the team gave up, no one is whining

frostyflo

Jan 29, 2009
Austria
have there been any "problems" at the Can-Swe game or why is this show here running outta control? (honest question, didn`t follow the tourney closely)

Canadians have been kicked in the a** for their arrogance often enough by karma and the Canadians on the last few sites were pretty friendly and all gratulated the russians so I do not really understand where all this Canada-hate comes from

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
What was said to the Swedish reporter and who were the coaches? Please fill us in.

Expressen isn't really the most reputable Swedish newspaper, but in this case I believe that something was said to the Swedish reporter by someone representing Canada (or someone believed to represent them) after Sweden's semifinal loss. Rumours say that some racial slur was used.

The reporter had the following things to say when asked by Expressen:

- It just felt really low, and I'd rather not comment on it.

- They said a lot of things to me that I'd rather not mention.

The reporter did however feel that the comments weren't directed at him personally.
- They were angry at the Swedes about the comments after their win at the preliminary round stage.

Without knowing what was said (and not being able to confirm beyond the shadow of a doubt that something was actually said) and by whom, I just think it's sad when people take this game far too seriously and disregard common decency altogher. That goes for everyone, regardless of nationality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->