GDT: Gold Medal Game • Canada 3, Russia 5 • Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsalz16

Feb 21, 2010
I watched the game but thought there was no way. But at the end of the third I just couldn't stop laughing. This was the single most hilarious game I have ever seen in the game of hockey.

This was poetic justice at it's pinnacle. This was irony of highest caliber. Wish my modem wouldn't have gone down last night so I could have enjoyed the taunting.
Oh, well. There's always next year.. :D

Congratz Russia! You made my hockey year complete!

After a 4th place finish, you are incredibly easy to please. :shakehead

Snauen*

Masters of winning the unimportant games, and losing all of the important ones.
Ya, nd who lost the most important game of them all..? ;)

hammerwielder

Jan 6, 2008
Canada
Sorry, but what does that mean?

He means you had to "win" vicariously through your alignment with Russia, because your own team wasn't good enough to even win a medal. Maybe instead of all the worship of the Russian team and the sign on the dressing room door and all that you guys should just get it over with and join Russia for the next tournament.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He means you had to "win" vicariously through your alignment with Russia, because your own team wasn't good enough to even win a medal. Maybe instead of all the worship of the Russian team and the sign on the dressing room door and all that you guys should just get it over with and join Russia for the next tournament.

When the Czechs beat the Russian Olympic team (essentially) for the World Championships last year, I didn't have the urge to run over here to rub it in on the Russian fans.

The moment belonged to the Czech Republic and their fans after a gritty and well-deserved performance.

Canada was already out, it just looks silly.

Charlie Milles*

Hey, does anyone know the final score of last night's game? I missed the third period. I had to go to the hospital because I choked on a chicken wing.:sarcasm:

Kiefer

Jun 28, 2004
Sweden

Oh ok.

It's pretty common amongst euro fans, at least those i know, to cheer for another euro team that moves further in a tournament. That's why I cheer for Finns, Finns cheer for us even though we have a serious competition when we meet eachother..I hope you understand what I mean.

It's nothing different than Canadian fans cheering for USA in the bronze game. But I guess because we are Swedes, we managed to upset people again.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Oh ok.

It's pretty common amongst euro fans, at least those i know, to cheer for another euro team that moves further in a tournament. That's why I cheer for Finns, Finns cheer for us even though we have a serious competition when we meet eachother.

It's nothing different than Canadian fans cheering for USA in the bronze game. But I guess because we are Swedes, we managed to upset people again.

There's a difference between rooting for a team to win, and rubbing it in on the losing team when your team wasn't even involved in the equation.

Anyway, it was an epic and monumental collapse, so I guess exceptions can be made in this case.

cenas*

I pretty much always hope the underdog and the less douchy team wins. Even if they knocked us out like Russia did.

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
Congrats to the Comeback Kids, amazing fightback in the last three games. That's one for the ages.

Always glad to see Russia play well, for the sake of the game.

Kiefer

Jun 28, 2004
Sweden
There's a difference between rooting for a team to win, and rubbing it in on the losing team when your team wasn't even involved in the equation.

Don't come here and talk about rubbing it in. As far as I know the Swedish fans cheered and congratulated Russia on their win. That's all.

There was a flood of Canadian trolls coming to the SWE-RUS GDT having a riot. That was really classy. So back off and look at your own fanbase.

Vladiator16*

There is not much to say about this but… what a ****ing victory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You couldn’t script it better than that.
A lot of hart, luck and balls. **** I am happy!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrads to St. Louis, you guys are getting an incredible leader and a clutch in Tarasenko. This guy is going to be special. As a Caps fan I am happy with Orlovs and Kuznetsovs showing, but hart that Taras showed is just leaves me speechless. What a player, I am jealous, on the other hand if Kuz didn’t bring them back from the dead against Finland we wouldn’t be here. Beautiful team effort and “It’s never over until its over” attitude.:handclap::handclap::handclap:

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
Love this win as a Canadian. Always thought it's hilarious how serious people take this tournament. People are going to get all hot and bothered over a bunch of under-20 year old kids losing a hockey game, really?

During this tournament I heard so many ridiculous comments made by Canadian fans, such as "Take that America, that's why it is OUR game!" or "Man I think we're going to crush Norway!" Really? You think its something amazing that your team beat a country with the hockey population of around 6000? With somewhere probably around 3000 juniors, compared to Canada's over 200,000?

It's actually sad to think that Canada even loses in any international tournament to any other country then America just by looking at the populations. Take Russia for instance, a country with the hockey population of around 80,000 - and most likely around 30-55,000 juniors beat Canada, a country who annihilates them in hockey population, and junior hockey population. Other things to take into account where this is "our" game and Canada's mainsport and best sport, while Russians focus on many other sports.

hammerwielder

Jan 6, 2008
Canada
Oh ok.

It's pretty common amongst euro fans, at least those i know, to cheer for another euro team that moves further in a tournament. That's why I cheer for Finns, Finns cheer for us even though we have a serious competition when we meet eachother..I hope you understand what I mean.

No, it's upsetting because Sweden was in no way involved in this game -- moreover they were completely out of the tournament -- hence the appearance of two congratulatory signs in Russia's dressing room signed by Team Sweden within five minutes of the buzzer reeks to high heaven in the context of the pre-existing controversy between Sweden and the other country that participated in the gold medal game.

And if this is such a Euro thing, where were the signs from the Finns, Czechs, Slovaks et al.? Please provide any evidence of this having been done in past tournaments.

Kiefer

Jun 28, 2004
Sweden
No, it's upsetting because Sweden was in no way involved in this game -- moreover they were completely out of the tournament -- hence the appearance of two congratulatory signs in Russia's dressing room signed by Team Sweden within five minutes of the buzzer reeks to high heaven in the context of the pre-existing controversy between Sweden and the other country that participated in the gold medal game.

And if this is such a Euro thing, where were the signs from the Finns, Czechs, Slovaks et al.? Please provide any evidence of this having been done in past tournaments.

Jesus Christ, you guys are sensitive.

I know that at least some players from Team Sweden was at the gold game, I have no idea if any other Euro country had any people there. So I cannot talk for them.

Take it for what it is, congrats to Russia from Sweden, and not an attack on Canada.
TBH considering the amount of Canadians whining about Swedes in this tournament I have to wonder ... do you feel threatened by us?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Love this win as a Canadian. Always thought it's hilarious how serious people take this tournament. People are going to get all hot and bothered over a bunch of under-20 year old kids losing a hockey game, really?

During this tournament I heard so many ridiculous comments made by Canadian fans, such as "Take that America, that's why it is OUR game!" or "Man I think we're going to crush Norway!" Really? You think its something amazing that your team beat a country with the hockey population of around 6000? With somewhere probably around 3000 juniors, compared to Canada's over 200,000?

It's actually sad to think that Canada even loses in any international tournament to any other country then America just by looking at the populations. Take Russia for instance, a country with the hockey population of around 80,000 - and most likely around 30-55,000 juniors beat Canada, a country who annihilates them in hockey population, and junior hockey population. Other things to take into account where this is "our" game and Canada's mainsport and best sport, while Russians focus on many other sports.

I agree, the Canadian hockey arrogance always seems to hit an all time high during the WJC's.

It's especially sickening when the majority of it comes from people who rarely watch hockey.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

I know that at least some players from Team Sweden was at the gold game, I have no idea if any other Euro country had any people there. So I cannot talk for them.

Take it for what it is, congrats to Russia from Sweden, and not an attack on Canada.
TBH considering the amount of Canadians whining about Swedes in this tournament I have to wonder ... do you feel threatened by us?

FWIW I could not care less about Sweden.

Charlie Milles*

:laugh:

Sweden hasn't won since 1981. Yeah, we're ****ing terrified.

MissBrightside

Mar 20, 2006

Nicely put. :handclap:

And it pains me that swedes nowadays are just as arrogant.

dm1371

May 29, 2010
Chicoutimi, QC
I really didn't see this coming. The Canadians struck me as a team that after they got a lead, they would go to the throat of the opponent. They did against the USA and against Russia the first time. I guess they thought they had the gold wrapped up.

Exactly, they thought about the medal too early (between 2nd and 3rd) and they lost their focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->