GOJHL, GMHL, CJHL, and AJHL..How do they compare?

GrizzWinter31

May 4, 2011
New England
I was just wondering how these leagues compared? I play Jr B in New England but I think it would be cool to play in Canada for a year, the season after this, just for the experience.

When I say AJHL I mean the Atlantic. Pretty much the bench mark is the Atlantic Junior Hockey League. Which one's are better, which one's are worse?

billycanuck

I was just wondering how these leagues compared? I play Jr B in New England but I think it would be cool to play in Canada for a year, the season after this, just for the experience.

When I say AJHL I mean the Atlantic. Pretty much the bench mark is the Atlantic Junior Hockey League. Which one's are better, which one's are worse?

Well, looks like nobody is going to take a stab at this so I guess I will....

GOJHL (Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League) is a Hockey Canada Jr.B sanctioned league that is very competitive and features a lot of players that go on to either Major Junior, NCAA D1 and even NHL. The league featured a NHL 1st round draft pick in 2008. You do not have to pay to play in this league. NHL scouts do monitor this league despite being a Jr.B league.

GMHL (Greater Metro Junior Hockey League) is a independent hockey league (NOT sanctioned by Hockey Canada). Level of play is weak and very unbalanced. This is a pay to play league and it isn't cheap. No import rules, can take as many players from around the world as possible.

CJHL, do you mean the CCHL (Canada Central Hockey League)? Is a Hockey Canada sanctioned Jr.A hockey league. Very competitive and very restrictive to import players. They will only take Americans who they view as going NCAA D1. You do not have to pay anything to pay in this league. Currently has one player on the NHL's Central Scouting list.

AJHL (Atlantic Junior Hockey League) is a USA Hockey Tier 3 Jr.A league. League has proven to be a decent stepping stone for NAHL, USHL, and NCAA. However, pay to play league with the best players getting 'scholarships' so they don't have to pay. But the rest of players have to pay making the competition unbalanced.

Out of these leagues I would say the best league is the CCHL, followed by the GOJHL, AJHL, and GMHL.

So in my opinion, being an American, your best bet would the independent GMHL in terms of getting a spot in Canada, but I wouldn't recommend you wasting your money. If you can get on with a AJHL, that would be your best option. Unless you get interest from NAHL or USHL teams.

Good Luck!

GrizzWinter31

May 4, 2011
New England
Cool, thanks. Playing in Canada was just a thought.
I was weary of the GMHL. They seem kind of like the IJHL and had a weak list of alumni.

Im playing with the Boston Bulldogs in their inaugural season in the Met this year so if they offer me a spot on the AJ team I wouldn't say no!

billycanuck

Cool, thanks. Playing in Canada was just a thought.
I was weary of the GMHL. They seem kind of like the IJHL and had a weak list of alumni.

Im playing with the Boston Bulldogs in their inaugural season in the Met this year so if they offer me a spot on the AJ team I wouldn't say no!

That's great! Good luck in your upcoming season. Hopefully you can get called up. Bulldogs have an impressive college alumni list.

GrizzWinter31

May 4, 2011
New England
Thanks! I have heard great things about the organization and Addessa especially.
Goalies are a dime a dozen at junior try outs. Plus coming out of high school, I am very grateful that this team of all teams is giving me a chance.

Nidos

Sad Devils Fan
Apr 29, 2014
New Jersey
Sort of unrelated to the whole topic, but my cousin is the captain for the Waterloo Siskins in the GOJHL :)

Futurehockeyscout98

Feb 25, 2014

GOJHL is defiantly the best...there are a lot of teams that are competive...teams tho worth trying out are the Caledonia Corvairs(Just won Ontario Provincal Jr.B championship lastnight),St.Catharines Falcons and LEamington FLyers...Caledonia would probably be the best team to play for

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
Well, looks like nobody is going to take a stab at this so I guess I will....

GOJHL (Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League) is a Hockey Canada Jr.B sanctioned league that is very competitive and features a lot of players that go on to either Major Junior, NCAA D1 and even NHL. The league featured a NHL 1st round draft pick in 2008. You do not have to pay to play in this league. NHL scouts do monitor this league despite being a Jr.B league.

GMHL (Greater Metro Junior Hockey League) is a independent hockey league (NOT sanctioned by Hockey Canada). Level of play is weak and very unbalanced. This is a pay to play league and it isn't cheap. No import rules, can take as many players from around the world as possible.

CJHL, do you mean the CCHL (Canada Central Hockey League)? Is a Hockey Canada sanctioned Jr.A hockey league. Very competitive and very restrictive to import players. They will only take Americans who they view as going NCAA D1. You do not have to pay anything to pay in this league. Currently has one player on the NHL's Central Scouting list.

AJHL (Atlantic Junior Hockey League) is a USA Hockey Tier 3 Jr.A league. League has proven to be a decent stepping stone for NAHL, USHL, and NCAA. However, pay to play league with the best players getting 'scholarships' so they don't have to pay. But the rest of players have to pay making the competition unbalanced.

Out of these leagues I would say the best league is the CCHL, followed by the GOJHL, AJHL, and GMHL.

So in my opinion, being an American, your best bet would the independent GMHL in terms of getting a spot in Canada, but I wouldn't recommend you wasting your money. If you can get on with a AJHL, that would be your best option. Unless you get interest from NAHL or USHL teams.

Good Luck!
Much of this information is inaccurate. The CJHL is the league covering the whole country and about 120 Junior A teams. They are in the midst of implementing an almost total ban on American players. I hope the American leagues reciprocate. Also, the Greater Metro League is the "outlaw" league. It's not sanctioned and the level of play varies wildly. It's not considered a good place to play. The CCHL is a very good league that has a pay to play model. The price varies from team to team. The OJHL is the A league in Ontario and is downsizing but very reputable. There are two new leagues forming in Canada, but buyer beware! To get to the best leagues in Canada you'd better have someone speaking on your behalf. Getting to the Junior B leagues is easier and the teams have camps for tryouts mainly being held now. The Ontario Junior B league is pretty good hockey and more the equivalent of most of the US Junior A programs . Some Junior B players make the jump right to Major Junior during the season and that's where the Major Junior teams put some of their young prospects. Good luck.

Rastus

Jul 24, 2015
Changing Times

The landscape of junior hockey in north america is changing very quickly right now.

Due to their antiquated rules, Junior B and Junior C hockey develop players for the local 11pm beer leagues. There are exceptions to this, but very few.

Tier 2 Jr A and Independent leagues develop players for different levels of Canadian and American Schools and some levels of minor pro hockey.

Major Junior in Canada and the USHL in the United States are developing future pros.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad