Going to my first game on 12/11

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Despite being born and raised in MI, I never made it to a Red Wings game. My dad took me to Kalamazoo Wings games because of the bargain prices. As a teenager we moved away and I lived in 3 states since. I returned to MI in the summer of '08 for 6 months before finding myself out of a job and on the move again. Thought, I'd return within a few months but that didn't happen. My Red Wings home game dreams were sullied.

I've seen the boys in Chicago, Newark and Glendale. Given this is the last season at The Joe I've decided to make the pilgrimage. Visit family, eat Villa Italian Bakery pizza and catch the Wings against the Flyers.

Flight booked. Tickets purchased.

I cannot think of a time in my 34 years that I've been more excited. Life feels amazing right now.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
That's fantastic, man. I'm glad you're getting to do this. When you walk to your seats and look up at the banners, it impresses the legacy this team has forged.

As great as the new arena should be, and I think it was time, there's something to be said for appreciating a simple and worn barn that has the history of a dynasty baked into its walls.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
That is amazing

I've never been to the Joe myself, really hoping to go down there maybe in the new year to get a game in and experience it

I've seen the Wings countless times in Ottawa, Toronto, and Buffalo - but I have to go to a home game

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I've only been once, and it's been a few years. I've seen the boys in Chicago, Tampa, and Nashville more recently. Definitely making a trip this season to the Joe as well.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
It's always something I've wanted to do. I only get to watch them once a year at the bell centre in Montreal.

Tasteslikekevinbacon

Oct 26, 2013
Ontario, canada
I went to the Joe with my folks and my wife to catch my first game this last year. Man, it's something. I felt like a kid, just gazing at everything and all the fans. I'm from an area which is mostly Leafs, Habs, or the various other Canadian cults so seeing all those Wings jerseys in one place was incredibly satisfying.

Going back in January to catch another game, and I'll try to make it again if I can if there are flights for cheap.

Jun 9, 2011
Detroit
I try to go to around 10-15 games a year. A lot of people rag on the Joe for various reasons. But since I've been going there my entire life, there is just something special about it and I love the **** out of that place. I am excited for the new arena but still. Anyways have fun and enjoy yourself at good old JLA. Glad you get to make it before it's no longer around.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I try to go to around 10-15 games a year. A lot of people rag on the Joe for various reasons. But since I've been going there my entire life, there is just something special about it and I love the **** out of that place. I am excited for the new arena but still. Anyways have fun and enjoy yourself at good old JLA. Glad you get to make it before it's no longer around.

The Joe is kinda like the concert t-shirt of venues. Perfectly acceptable at the time and you enjoy the hell out of it. Once you leave and see literally anything else, you realize the other options are better, much better.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Same boat, kind of. Born and raised in Toronto, never made it to a game. Absolutely needed to go this year and see the Joe.

Girlfriend surprised me with tickets for October 29th for my bday last week! First time going to Detroit, I'm pumped. For once in my life I'll be able to cheer without worrying about a Leafs fan getting pissed off.

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
Same boat, kind of. Born and raised in Toronto, never made it to a game. Absolutely needed to go this year and see the Joe.

Girlfriend surprised me with tickets for October 29th for my bday last week! First time going to Detroit, I'm pumped. For once in my life I'll be able to cheer without worrying about a Leafs fan getting pissed off.

Ha! I love going to the Joe when the leafs are in town. The atmosphere makes it a real treat. I was there when Larkin scored his first goal and the season prior to that when Z scored in OT. Those are so much fun. Hate the leafs. Love the fans.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Despite being born and raised in MI, I never made it to a Red Wings game. My dad took me to Kalamazoo Wings games because of the bargain prices. As a teenager we moved away and I lived in 3 states since. I returned to MI in the summer of '08 for 6 months before finding myself out of a job and on the move again. Thought, I'd return within a few months but that didn't happen. My Red Wings home game dreams were sullied.

I've seen the boys in Chicago, Newark and Glendale. Given this is the last season at The Joe I've decided to make the pilgrimage. Visit family, eat Villa Italian Bakery pizza and catch the Wings against the Flyers.

I cannot think of a time in my 34 years that I've been more excited. Life feels amazing right now.

Have fun and enjoy the game on Dec 11 i've made 3 games to Joe Louis Arena back when it opened in late December 1979 i went to the all star game and a Washington and Chicago game before i left Michigan back in 1981 to move to Florida with my folks would love to make it home to Michigan and attend another game at the joe before it is demolished.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015

Got to see the Wings a couple years ago in Glendale....had a blast

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Just a heads up, the Wings adopted the clear bag policy this year, so you can only use an approved, clear bag, if planning on bring in one (or a really small purse). They say it's for fan safety and expediting security, but I call shenanigans.

I'm going to tonight's game against Boston..haven't been in several years, but I'm just looking to get a farewell to the Joe patch, and maybe an Al the octopus bobblehead.

I also caught a Tigers game this week while home to see family, so it was nice to see improvements around CoPa and the progress at the new arena. Everything thing is so damned expensive at the Tigers team shop though, borderline ridiculous, I didn't even buy anything for myself.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
The Joe is kinda like the concert t-shirt of venues. Perfectly acceptable at the time and you enjoy the hell out of it. Once you leave and see literally anything else, you realize the other options are better, much better.

This is such a perfect analogy. I always compare it to Wrigley before the renovations, it's a **** hole, but when you're there it's almost majestic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad