Pre-Game Talk: Going to my first away game thursday... in philly

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Clearly philly has a history of being crazy fans. When the eagles lost to the cowboys this season they set a cowboys fans car on fire. We had the issue last year with the cop from jersey city getting his face broken. I highly doubt I am in any danger but i am wonder what are the odds of having a beer thrown/dumped on me are? Last season I saw game two of the series with the caps at MSG and when the Caps scored at the last second to win I got pegged in the back with a beer bottle aimed at the row of caps fans in front of me. This is more a less a subtle brag thread and a I wish I had an away jersey thread.

Salsa Shark

Sep 1, 2009
Jersey
I go to school in Delaware 40 minutes from Philly so I venture up there for games from time to time and I have to say in my experience Philly fans are just like any other. Been to only one flyers rangers game. last year we won in philly and I was there, it was no different from anywhere else. Wore a ranger jersey without issue, just some banter back and forth, never malicious.

And I thought the same thing when I went to Giants Eagles this year at the Link. Had no issues. Sat in the upper deck too. People like to exaggerate

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Look, if you are going to go, just don't be stupid about it.

Don't wear any Rangers gear, don't heckle and don't get up and cheer, making a big deal if the Rangers score or win. Especially by the 3rd period when everyone's drunk.

I know that's basically like saying, "don't enjoy yourself," but if you want to go to a game and get crazy fanatical about the Rangers, go to a home game. It's not worth putting yourself in a harmful situation.

SAINDON

May 9, 2012
The First State
You will have people yell, talk ****, etc...As long as you take it in stride and utilize basic common sense, you will be fine.

I went to both home games in the playoffs against the Penguins and things got loud, as you would expect. I only saw one fight and that is when both sides took it too far.

jwelles17

Apr 23, 2012
I'm a Rangers fan stuck living in the Philly area. I have gone to about 75% of Rangers games there for the past 5-6 years. Not once has anything ever happened to me. I always wear my Rangers jerseys, and celebrate enthusiastically every time we score and beat them down. I go to the bathroom on my own and never have an issue as well. I even take the subway home and have never had an issue.

It's the same as any other stadium. Don't be a d-bag, and they won't harm you. They might yell at you and say your team sucks, but what city doesn't do that to opposing fans?

I've even been belligerently drunk at some games and nothing has happened to me.

If you are able to show up early, call ahead and add the Lexus Club package to your tickets. It's $30/ticket, and you get all the food and beer you can drink from the lexus club downstairs. It's the best value ever. You are allowed to enter the lexus club 2 hours prior to the start of the game. It is located RIGHT across from the hallway that the visitors locker room is in. Every time I go I get to see the players casually warming up in the hallway kicking the soccer ball around and whatnot. They always give me a smile and a wave when they see a Rangers jersey down there.

Nash Money

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2012
Was in Philly for 3 years, and went to my share of Rangers/Mets/Knicks games without any incident. I'm sure there are people that are jerks and do inappropriate things, but the worst I got was banter, and that was on the subways to/from the games.

I should also add that I was wearing NY gear, and at the last game I went to vs. the Flyers there was a group of NYR fans that started the goal song after each of our 5 goals, and I obviously had to join in. No incidents.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I normally find that as long as you aren't a jerk most people are normal.

Exactly. They don't go after you unless you piss them off first.

Generally speaking of course but any arena could have that one psycho that just starts in for no reason.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Don't be a jerk and you'll be fine.

If you have specific questions about what is and is not acceptable in Philadelphia, go ask them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->