OT: Going to Germany

Flyers845

Jan 19, 2006
Philadelphia Pa
Anyone on here from there or have been there for a trip? I'm going there in march for a week just seeing if anyone has suggestions on what to do or maybe see a hockey game or something. Staying in Munich, checked the berlin schedule their last game is the 10th I won't get there till the 18th though.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Drink:

Chimay Grande Reserve.
St. Bernardus Abt 12.
Trappistas Rochefort.
St. Bernardus Tripel.

These are not German, but may be easier to procure in Germany.

RJ8812*

I've been to Munich, but unfortunately it was only for one night so I can't say too much about it. Real nice city though. Make sure you stop in at the Hofbräuhaus beer hall. Have a beer and try some sausage. Also check out Marienplatz.

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
Are you staying in Munich the whole time or do you plan to road-trip around to Berlin? What's your schedule?

Hockey: Munich has a decent shot at making the playoffs and will most likely go through the pre-playoffs. A stupid thing they invented to have 10 out of 14 teams play post-season hockey. You can reach Ingolstadt rather easily from Munich, they will make the playoffs.

You could watch a Bundesliga game in the Allianz Arena, if you're lucky (get tickets and timing is right).

Other than that I don't know a lot about Munich.
The BMW Welt is pretty cool. If you like cars check it out. There's also the terrific BMW museum and the original BMW plant. It's worth a tour. If you don't like BMWs but Audis, the same things can be seen in Ingolstadt, it's just 80km from Munich.

I'm sure you'll find the usual stuff to do for tourists around the web.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Easily my top 3 recommendations are dinner at the Hofbrauhaus, rent a car for at least a day to drive on the Autobahn highway system and finally take a day trip to Neuschwanstein castle as it also gives you a glimpse at the Alps.

If you have more time, visit BMW, bayern Munich's stadium if you are a soccer fan and one of Munich's old breweries.

Cheers and have fun

RJ8812*

Easily my top 3 recommendations are dinner at the Hofbrauhaus, rent a car for at least a day to drive on the Autobahn highway system and finally take a day trip to Neuschwanstein castle as it also gives you a glimpse at the Alps.

If you have more time, visit BMW, bayern Munich's stadium if you are a soccer fan and one of Munich's old breweries.

Cheers and have fun

yup. Hofbrauhaus is a must. So much beer. Their oversized pretzels are challenging too. I was there during Germany's Euro 2012 QF game against Greece in which they won. I hate soccer, but it was so much fun being there during that game

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
Well, March 10th is the end of regular season, but there are always the playoffs. Quarterfinals start on March 20th and with Munich, Augsburg, Straubing and Nuremberg (Ice Tigers), you chance of at least one Bavarian Team within your reach making it there are pratically 100%. Even the chances of one of them nabbing Berlin for an opponent are pretty good. With hockey rarely ever being sold out in Germany, I`d just check it out a couple days before and go for it.

If the NHL has started up again and you kinda lost your prefernce for the Eisbären by then, I`d maybe even recommend going a bit crazy and grabbing a train to Cologne, because the Cologne/Düsseldorf area is definitely the heart of German hockey and that is where you`ll get a real hockey atmosphere. Munich not so much.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Well, March 10th is the end of regular season, but there are always the playoffs. Quarterfinals start on March 20th and with Munich, Augsburg, Straubing and Nuremberg (Ice Tigers), you chance of at least one Bavarian Team within your reach making it there are pratically 100%. Even the chances of one of them nabbing Berlin for an opponent are pretty good. With hockey rarely ever being sold out in Germany, I`d just check it out a couple days before and go for it.

If the NHL has started up again and you kinda lost your prefernce for the Eisbären by then, I`d maybe even recommend going a bit crazy and grabbing a train to Cologne, because the Cologne/Düsseldorf area is definitely the heart of German hockey and that is where you`ll get a real hockey atmosphere. Munich not so much.

I had an absolute blast when I went to Mannheim for 2 games. Just an amazing atmosphere to watch hockey. To be honest it really spoiled me and watching games here in NA just haven't been the same since.

Heidelberg is a very cool city to hang out in as well.

I did take the train to Munich for a day and it was a blast. Hofbrauhaus was good, but I had as much fun, if not more, at Paulaner and Augustiner. Honestly don't remember much about the day than that other than lots of beer, pretzels and various sausages.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
I had an absolute blast when I went to Mannheim for 2 games. Just an amazing atmosphere to watch hockey. To be honest it really spoiled me and watching games here in NA just haven't been the same since.

Heidelberg is a very cool city to hang out in as well.

I did take the train to Munich for a day and it was a blast. Hofbrauhaus was good, but I had as much fun, if not more, at Paulaner and Augustiner. Honestly don't remember much about the day than that other than lots of beer, pretzels and various sausages.

Oh, nothing at all against Munich, it is a beautiful city, just not exactly hockeytown. Soccer, basketball, alpine skiing, etc. all come before it. Otherwise a very fine choice for a German vacation. ;)

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Oh, nothing at all against Munich, it is a beautiful city, just not exactly hockeytown. Soccer, basketball, alpine skiing, etc. all come before it. Otherwise a very fine choice for a German vacation. ;)

Agreed, which is why I'd recommend going to Mannheim for a game. Amazing atmosphere and a very cool arena.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
Agreed, which is why I'd recommend going to Mannheim for a game. Amazing atmosphere and a very cool arena.

Yeah, that could work too. On a trade off between hockey craziness vs. distance, that may just be a perfect compromise. Besides as a Düsseldorf-Fan myself, I need to stop advertising the Haie.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
If you have time, check out the Black Forest. When I was there is was summer time and we did the bed and breakfast thing. Really a beautiful country.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->