Going "off the board"

Gutchecktime

Dec 24, 2005
A couple questions:

1) In your years of watching the draft, what is the instance that stands out to you the most in terms of a team "going off the board" with their pick?

2) Which teams make a habit of "going off the board"?

3) Which teams do you think might do it this year and what players do you see being "off the board" picks?

Also, does anyone remember what Blake Wheeler was ranked by CSS/ISS before the Coyotes picked him? Thanks!

Ferjo

Sep 28, 2004
in 98 the Leafs drafted Nik Antropov tenth, when The Hockey News had him rated in the 60's, and CS had him 17th of Europeans. He only listed at 6'2, when it fact he was 6'6, so that basically shows you how much knowledge they had of him.

I had no idea who he was at the draft, but I remember getting the next weeks issue of The Hockey News, and reading in almost every single teams "Team Report" that they had hoped Antropov would fall to them, or hopes he would last until the second round. I believe it was the Wings later saying they had him rated first, and were planning on trading up just after the Leafs pick to get him.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
one that comes to mind is Adrian Foster by NJ in '01.

Also, Blake Wheeler by Pheonix in '04 was pretty surprising although I don't know if you could consider it "off the board"

Duff88

May 7, 2002
A couple questions:

1) In your years of watching the draft, what is the instance that stands out to you the most in terms of a team "going off the board" with their pick?

2) Which teams make a habit of "going off the board"?

3) Which teams do you think might do it this year and what players do you see being "off the board" picks?

Also, does anyone remember what Blake Wheeler was ranked by CSS/ISS before the Coyotes picked him? Thanks!

1) I'd say Jesse Niinimaki was a pretty big surprise for me in the 2002 draft. A lot of people were asking: "Who?"

2) I'd go with Tampa Bay. It seems like they rarely have high picks, but they're not affraid to go "off-the-board": Andy Rogers (30 - 2004), Vladimir Mihalik (30 - 2005) and Riku Helenius (15 - 2006).

3) I don't know honnestly. I'm thinking there is going to be a lot of shuffle and a lot of surprise picks, but it's tough to aim any team since it's really the way the draft is open that makes for these "off-the-board" picks.

Seabass

Onward and Upward
Sep 25, 2002
Chicago
Visit site
The Wheeler situation was tricky. Most places had him ranked just outside the first round. Then Milbury came in and said he would "shock the floor" with a "non-European, non-goalie." Naturally, he took Nokelainen, only after Wheeler was gone. Phoenix wanted him, but Milbury actually came out with that gem, so the Coyotes knew they didn't have much room to move back. Hence, you have Wheeler at #5.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Milbury and probably a half dozen other guys had their eyes on him. Though HF and much of the media were surprised by the pick, a lot of NHL scouts were pissed to see their guy picked from under their noses. He still has a lot to prove, but Wheeler has improved every single season, and by a lot. If he continues with this learning arc, look out.

Lunatik*

when the Flames drafted Derek Morris he was ranked mid-3rd round i believe... and Kris Chucko was off the board as well

mmbt

Cheeky Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
California
Visit site
The Sharks seem to do it a lot. Teemu Riihijarvi anyone?

Derek Morris was a major off the board pick in a weak draft that turned out pretty well.

I think off the board is a good thing. I mean, if you're just going to pick by the CSB or THN rankings, why even bother hiring scouts?

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
In the 7th round of the draft (205th overall) the Rangers picked someone named Henrik Lundqvist.

He was off the board... now he is in the top 5 of the NHL.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Milbury and probably a half dozen other guys had their eyes on him. Though HF and much of the media were surprised by the pick, a lot of NHL scouts were pissed to see their guy picked from under their noses. He still has a lot to prove, but Wheeler has improved every single season, and by a lot. If he continues with this learning arc, look out.

I actually wouldn't doubt that Milbury KNEW that Phoenix liked him and used that as a tool to get them to choose him as high as they did. IMO, it was a pretty good ploy by him.

Gutchecktime

Dec 24, 2005
That's not really off the board. Anything goes really in the 7th round. That's "Late Round Steals" not really "Off the board". I'm talking guys ranked in the later rounds going high in the draft seemingly out of nowhere.

How about Downie? Wasn't he ranked like 90th among NA skaters or something like that? Pretty good "off the board" pick there, I'd say.

mister lerock

Jul 30, 2005
its not that off the board thinking price would go around 9 or 10 (ottawa and t-dot were really intrested in him) but the habs took him at 5th.Pundits and HF habs fans were in a uproar wanting brule or stall but the pick looks brilant right now:handclap:

Gutchecktime

Dec 24, 2005
I agree it's not HUGE off the board, but maybe in the sense that I don't think it was at all expected that a goalie would go at that point. It's really paid off though. Price looks fantastic. (And I'm a Leaf fan, so that really grinds my gears.)

mister lerock

Jul 30, 2005
man you guys got rask who looks awesome but i really think jfj blew it by getting raycroft who seems like he pulled a theodore or carey:help:

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
One guy that comes to mind as truly "off the board" is the selection of Daniel Rahimi last year by the Canucks. I was at the draft and none of the NHL-provided draft prep materials that I picked up had him listed ANYWHERE.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Nathan Smith by Vancouver. Blew up in our face though. But every listing had him as a 2nd 3rd rounder, 4th line center with minimal upside, but a safe bet. Vancouver picked him in the 1st round 2000. He clearly has little upside, but has yet to even establish himself as a 4th liner.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Huet is good.

Is he up to the level of Lundqvist? As of now, no.

You asked if Huet was a starter in the NHL, and for your information, yes, he is a starter. No, not as good as Lundqvist nor would I consider him top 10, but he's a starting goalie in the NHL. Not bad for a player from France who was a 7th rounder.

And a reach is taking a player early on who wasn't expected (nor ranked) to be taken that high. Players like Alfredsson, Salo, Lundqvist and Huet weren't reaches, they were great finds in the later rounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->