Going into the playoffs

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
Still too early to set anything in stone (except for the top line). We'll see how things gel when Kesler and Booth come back.... and this team will likely have its lapses moving forward (like any other team). It's still early in the season, even if it is a short one (especially in terms of comparing it to 2011).

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
too much worrying about the lines.

There's really only one certainty at this point - the Sedins will be playing together on the team's #1 line. Everything else is up in the air, and really, that's the best situation the team could be in, because it shows they have depth and versatile players.

Burrows, Higgins and Hansen have shown many times over that they are equally good playing either wing. Booth and Raymond have played plenty on the right side as well, though they are both clearly more comfortable playing the left wing. You add Kassian to that group and you have 6 wingers on the team (not counting the team's best winger) that can play anywhere from the 1st to 3rd (or even 4th) lines and help the team.

The overall versatility of this group is very underrated and underappreciated, and that should be a strength of this team, where they don't need to worry about which players play on which line.

It's not unlike the goaltending, where you have 2 goalies you can put in any game and feel confident about, and when one struggles or hits a rough patch, you have another that can step up and carry the workload. The offense is the same. Burrows is struggling, throw Kassian on the top line. Booth isn't playing well, move Raymond up. There are a ton of options for AV, and we all know that AV will often juggle his lines to get the team going when needed, while keeping his lines stable when the team is playing at the top of their game.

We really haven't had this type of forward depth, maybe ever. Even during the Canucks best years (recently in 2011, or if you go back to the early 90s), there were still more holes with the team's forward depth then there is now.

Our forwards now - especially with the emergence of Kassian, and the surprisingly good 2-way play from Schroeder (not to mention the re-emergence of Raymond), is simply stacked at this point (of course when Kesler and Booth are back). Our goaltending is among the best (if not the best) in the league. The only area of concern right now is defense, and it's not about talent there, they are arguably one of the deepest groups in the league - it's more about chemistry right now, but I think that gets sorted out, given that we do have 2 pairs that have demonstrated tremendous chemistry either recently (Ballard-Tanev) or in the recent past (Hamhuis-Bieksa).

This team is in good shape for a long playoff run IMO.. of course injuries notwithstanding.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
More worried about the D pairings. Since no pairings really have chemistry and our best D is forced to play his offside. If you think its not a big deal, just look at how much the coach is shuffling the D pairings to try and figure out somethign that works, its clear none work so far (besides hamhuis and bieksa which leaves a pairing that didn't work well and may never) and thats all that is on my mind. not any combination of forward lines that will get mixed up anyway

Not really worried for the season, i mean come playoff time. I think thats when minor things really get exposed. Players need to be at their best and players can't be at their best in an uncomfortable situation

Agreed. It's not that we lack quality defencemen by any stretch, but there are clear chemistry issues with this group and the LH/RH balance.

We clearly have two pairings that you really don't want to break up (Ballard-Tanev and Hamhuis-Bieksa)...But unfortunately, the 2 guys who are left over, don't seem to be a great fit together.

Hopefully once Garrison is better adjusted to playing here in this system and with these forwards, etc., and hopefully Edler gets a steadier on the Right side...maybe we reunite them and it works. But until i see that pairing work well together...the chemistry and pairings on defence are probably my biggest concern with this team moving forward.

Yea they need to get Garrison going on the PP as well.

Hamhuis-Edler
Ballard-Garrison
Bieksa-Tanev

Idk if this would work maybe but if problems were to occur I would put Ballard back with Tanev.
But then again that is why we have Vandermeer and Barker so we can experiment. Maybe the trade deadline would be a good idea to get some chemistry on the defense.

This on the other hand, looks like about the worst possible idea. We have 2 RH shooters, which is the entire problem with this blueline group...so we stick them together? :help: No.

And there really isn't much Gillis can do to fix this chemistry issue at the deadline either. We're locked in to Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison with NTCs, Edler was just signed and isn't going anywhere, and Tanev isn't going to be moved unless it's part of a huge upgrade for a RH shooting blueliner. So that leaves basically just Ballard as a potential 'moving piece'...but he's started to play well, it's hard to see him returning any sort of immediate RH side 'upgrade' at this point, and you'd be trading proven chemistry with Tanev...for a big fat questionmark, which could make the chemistry issues even worse.

It's not a pretty situation, and really the only thing to do at this point is ride it out with Garrison+Edler and hope eventually it jives.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
When the only issue we can come up with the team is not enough depth on our 5th line, and our t2 dman don't have perfect chemistry, or our 4th D pairing aren't top4 dman in NHL, or that our AHL superstar goalie is injuried....

I think it's time to just enjoy the ride, and let GMMG surprise us with his magic. He might not have to make a move, but that would surprise me just the same.

IKEA

May 31, 2010
SE
Sedin Sedin Burrows
Booth Kesler Kassian
Raymond Schroeder Hansen
Higgins Lapierre Weise
Volpatti Malhotra X

I like that forward bunch, hopefully that's enough 'size' for the critics. Would love to add in a player like Brian Boyle somewhere in the line up. It appears he has been a health scratch the past two games and with how JT Miller has been playing since making the big show, he might be available. However, where would you squeeze him in the line-up? So far Schroeder has made an impressive mark on the club. Strong defensive play, popped in two last game. I may be biased, but I wish he'd be a few more inches taller. If so, he'd be a fixture in our bottom six.

Dado

I just see Lou and Schneider hoisting the cup for some reason but I do feel a deep run into the playoffs. Your thoughts?

I guess I'd describe my feelings as the team having a reasonable shot at it, but the odds are heavily against it (no shock there) and the ongoing lack of game breaking ability under playoff reffing standards remains my biggest concern.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I think our D has been fine. I haven't seen Edler do anything too crazy on the right side lately, he and Hamhuis appear to be playing well together. Garrison and Bieksa seem to have developed chemistry as well. Personally I think we got a pretty good set up with the current pairings and I'd bet that we will go into the playoffs with em.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
I feel very confident. We're 7-2-2 without them, imagine how good we can be with them.

I think with Kesler and Booth back, we'll be able to beat those Top contenders, (SJ, CHI, ANA etc.) a lot more. And IF we trade Luongo before the playoffs, we should be aiming for a valuable piece for our playoff run this year. because let's face it, this is our last kick at the can as the "favourites" to win the cup.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
I feel very confident. We're 7-2-2 without them, imagine how good we can be with them.

I think with Kesler and Booth back, we'll be able to beat those Top contenders, (SJ, CHI, ANA etc.) a lot more. And IF we trade Luongo before the playoffs, we should be aiming for a valuable piece for our playoff run this year. because let's face it, this is our last kick at the can as the "favourites" to win the cup.

I still see this team as one of the favorites next year. Don't see too many players regressing, and there is room for progression amongst some of the younger roster players (Kassian, Tanev, Schroeder, not to mention depth provided by Jensen, Corrado, Lack, and Luongo return) and hopefully a full healthy year from Kesler.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
I still see this team as one of the favorites next year. Don't see too many players regressing, and there is room for progression amongst some of the younger roster players (Kassian, Tanev, Schroeder, not to mention depth provided by Jensen, Corrado, Lack, and Luongo return) and hopefully a full healthy year from Kesler.

I agree, but I think you missed my point. I'm saying this is our last year as THE favourite to win it all. Next year we will still be near the top, but I think we will be in with a mix of other teams to be the favourites.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
I agree, but I think you missed my point. I'm saying this is our last year as THE favourite to win it all. Next year we will still be near the top, but I think we will be in with a mix of other teams to be the favourites.
I personally don't consider anybody the favorite as all the top teams are close in depth and talent. There is obviously a group of 8-10 teams that you can realisticly see winning but the changing dynamics (injuries, playoff matchups, etc) will decide each teams fate.

I don't see the Canucks regressing anytime soon, nor do I see any teams progressing past them into an elite/super team/dynasty given the salary cap and possible expansion. Canucks will have just as good a chance next year as this year, or any of the previous years.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Not gonna lie, when it comes down to it, I want Lu starting if we have to face the Penguins in the Finals.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
I haven't seen anyone in the media predict the Canucks winning the Cup. Only a few has them in the finals. Vegas bookmakers generally place them on the second tier of teams.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I think our D has been fine. I haven't seen Edler do anything too crazy on the right side lately, he and Hamhuis appear to be playing well together. Garrison and Bieksa seem to have developed chemistry as well. Personally I think we got a pretty good set up with the current pairings and I'd bet that we will go into the playoffs with em.

I'm still a bit worried about Edler's play. All he had to do on Stempniak's goal was throw a damn bodycheck but instead he jams his stick into the boards breaking it (obviously, because it's an Edler stick) and lets Stempniak skate away unmolested. :shakehead

Cocoa Crisp

Mar 8, 2006
NYC
I hope that with Garrison apparently settling in, Bowness will phase him onto the RS at even strength. I think this whole Edler on the RS episode is only to buy time while Garrison makes the transition. Otherwise, IMO, that's the teams' real achilles heel.

A trade involving Lu will hopefully address our RHD woes, but I don't see it realistically happening until the offseason.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I don't put too much weight into the 7-2-2 record. The Northwest is somehow worse than it was last year, and much of the win streak is against Northwest opponents. Remember how well the team performed with Daniel out at the end of the season last year, then how quickly they fell on their faces against a legitimate threat in the playoffs? With everyone clicking, the team's as good as anyone, but unless everyone is performing at that level, they could struggle in the playoffs.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I'm still a bit worried about Edler's play. All he had to do on Stempniak's goal was throw a damn bodycheck but instead he jams his stick into the boards breaking it (obviously, because it's an Edler stick) and lets Stempniak skate away unmolested. :shakehead

A lot of D-men will just shove you down if you're in front of the crease with the puck in the area. Especially strong defensive teams like LA and STL... perhaps there's something to that? Would like to see this element added to the D nonetheless.

The Hockey News predicts the Canucks will win the Cup.

Wonder what the EA simulation predicted? They had VAN vs. BOS in 2011 going to 7 games too (they were wrong about the winner though :cry:).

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Wonder what the EA simulation predicted? They had VAN vs. BOS in 2011 going to 7 games too (they were wrong about the winner though :cry:).

EA was running a mock season based on the original 82 game schedule. I haven't seen anything since the lockout ended.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Overall I am fairly confident in what we have. Garrison ought to be tired on the right but I suspect our defense will adjust as the season drags on. I would like to acquire someone with a bit more skill to truly solidify our depth. Ideally, a player like Moen but that is by no means a need. If the team can overcome their consistency woes in the post season. We have a deadly roster.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I hope that with Garrison apparently settling in, Bowness will phase him onto the RS at even strength. I think this whole Edler on the RS episode is only to buy time while Garrison makes the transition. Otherwise, IMO, that's the teams' real achilles heel.

A trade involving Lu will hopefully address our RHD woes, but I don't see it realistically happening until the offseason.

If that's the team's Achilles heal, then like Achilles, you would have to recognize the rest of them as being invincible. They aren't. There are worse problems: A dangerous offensive player on the 2nd line, and depth skill at forward.

Essentially, the same problems as before. With a few small moves like targeting an Eller, Tedenby or even Brassard might alleviate that concern, but they still need that addition to not have the same issue pop up in the playoffs again.

I don't put too much weight into the 7-2-2 record. The Northwest is somehow worse than it was last year, and much of the win streak is against Northwest opponents. Remember how well the team performed with Daniel out at the end of the season last year, then how quickly they fell on their faces against a legitimate threat in the playoffs? With everyone clicking, the team's as good as anyone, but unless everyone is performing at that level, they could struggle in the playoffs.

What team doesn't struggle in the playoffs really? Except for LA. I don't put too much weight into the record either, especially the way they started, but I'm not sure you can infer anything about the playoffs from what we have seen anyways (not much).

Actually, I put more stock in possession metrics and the Canucks haven't been elite there in some time. The usual suspects like the Kings and the Bruins show up at the top. The Canucks are mid-pack. But I'm guessing the early injuries had an effect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad