Going into the playoffs

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
How do you guys feel about the Canucks going into the playoffs this season with Kesler and Booth returning? We have got to keep the Raymond Schroeder line for sure they have been putting up points.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Booth
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Volpatti-Malhotra-Kassian

Now I know you all won't agree with the lineup above but it is going to be hard to fit some players like Kassian,Weise and Lapierre. I feel Kassian deserves better would you switch Kassian and Higgins? Remember we have the following:

-Sedins and Burrows
-American express line was it?
-Raymond and Shredder/Hansen
-Pretty solid 4th line and Volpatti brings us those scoring chances.

I just see Lou and Schneider hoisting the cup for some reason but I do feel a deep run into the playoffs. Your thoughts?

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Sedin Sedin Burrows
Booth Kesler Kassian
Raymond Schroeder Hansen
Higgins Lapierre Weise
Volpatti Malhotra X

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
My thoughts are that with Schroeder's emergence into the NHL, and doing very well on both sides of the puck (while making Raymond better as well), I feel more confident in this team with him as 3C then I did with having no real good option. When Kesler and Booth come back, we'll have three (3) lines that can score AND are good in the defensive end.

We have so many line combinations we can try out once we're fully healthy, it makes me giddy.

Pseudonymous*

More worried about the D pairings. Since no pairings really have chemistry and our best D is forced to play his offside. If you think its not a big deal, just look at how much the coach is shuffling the D pairings to try and figure out somethign that works, its clear none work so far (besides hamhuis and bieksa which leaves a pairing that didn't work well and may never) and thats all that is on my mind. not any combination of forward lines that will get mixed up anyway

Not really worried for the season, i mean come playoff time. I think thats when minor things really get exposed. Players need to be at their best and players can't be at their best in an uncomfortable situation

Last edited by a moderator:

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
More worried about the D pairings. Since no pairings really have chemistry and our best D is forced to play his offside. If you think its not a big deal, just look at how much the coach is shuffling the D pairings to try and figure out somethign that works, its clear none work so far (besides hamhuis and bieksa which leaves a pairing that didn't work well and may never) and thats all that is on my mind. not any combination of forward lines that will get mixed up anyway

Not really worried for the season, i mean come playoff time. I think thats when minor things really get exposed. Players need to be at their best and players can't be at their best in an uncomfortable situation

Edler X
Hamhuis Bieksa
Ballard Tanev

Despite Garrisons decent play, I truly think we made a mistake here committing to him. We really need to try Garrison on the right side.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver

Yea they need to get Garrison going on the PP as well.

Hamhuis-Edler
Ballard-Garrison
Bieksa-Tanev

Idk if this would work maybe but if problems were to occur I would put Ballard back with Tanev.
But then again that is why we have Vandermeer and Barker so we can experiment. Maybe the trade deadline would be a good idea to get some chemistry on the defense.

hockeywoot

Oct 29, 2010
China
Sedin Sedin Kassian
Burrows Kesler Hansen
Raymond Schroeder Booth
Higgins Lapierre Volaptti
Weise Malholtra

Fa Ci La

Mar 2, 2012
poor old weise. gets a promotion, but may have lost his incumbent spot because of it.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I wouldn't drop Kassian all the way to the fourth line. If Kassian and Schroeder are playing well at the end of the regular season:

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Booth Kesler Burrows
Raymond Schroeder Hansen
Higgins Malhotra Lapierre
Weise Volpatti

If Schroeder's is struggling, move Lapierre to 3C. If Kassian struggles, move him to 3R and move Hansen and Burrows back up.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
Not sure why some people want the teams leading goal scorer playing on the 4th line.

I would much rather have Kassian playing in the top six over players like Higgens or Hansen.

keslerburrows

Mar 9, 2011
Vernon, Canada
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Kassian
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Higgins-Lapierre-Volpatti/Weise

That's a lineup where you can roll all 4 lines and be confident doing so.

Edler-Hamhuis / Hamhuis-Bieksa
Bieksa-Garrison / Edler- Garrison
Ballard-Tanev

Roll with whatever top 4 combination is working. This defense is so stacked you can hardly go wrong anyway.

PP:

Sedin-Sedin-Kesler
Edler-Burrows/Hamhuis

Raymond-Schroeder-Kassian
Garrison-Bieksa/Hamhuis

So many combinations that could be used. I guess we will find out what works once we are healthy.

PK:

Kesler-Burrows

Raymond-Hansen

Lapierre-Higgins

(Rolling all 3 D pairings)

Such a complete team when healthy. Going to be so fun to watch. :)

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I'm confident in this team. The defense is really where the advantage lies for this team, having three top 4 pairs is a huge bonus for us and will help a ton in the playoffs.

Garrison is playing a much more solid and steady defensive game and thats what we need, we know he has the shot and once he starts getting used properly the goals will begin to come.

But aslong as he can maintain steady and reliable play he is solid for us, his size & mobility will really be huge for us in the playoffs as he will be able to handle bigger forwards.

Then having Schroeder emerge as the clear candidate for the 3C role, only adds more depth and versitility, once Schroeder really gets completely comfortable (Around the latter stages of the season and post season) then we will really see what he can bring.

I have no complaints, on paper it could be just as good if not better than the 10/11 team honestly.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
The last little bit has proven this team is really good at 5-on-5. I'd like to see what Kesler and Booth's return does and then re-evaluate things.

solitary

Mar 30, 2009
I believe in the overall scheme of things it may be better to run this lineup:

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Booth Kesler Burrows
Raymond Schroeder Hansen
Lapierre Higgins Malhotra
Volpatti Weise

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
The point is, we are a serious contender AGAIN, have major depth at every position, and will get close to even odds against anyone we play in any round. Maybe this is the year it all comes together at last...maybe not, but we know we have as good a shot as anyone and really that's all you can ask for. Now let's all just sit back and enjoy the goalie controversy/platoon.

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Kassian
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Higgins - Lapierre/Malhotra - Volpatti/Weise

The beauty of these lines, is that nothing has to be set. You can mix and match all the wingers.

PP

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler
Hamhuis - Edler

Burrows/Raymond - Schroeder - Kassian
Bieksa/Ballard - Garrison

I like Garrison on the 2nd unit because he won't feel the need to differ to the Sedins. Also Schroeds and Kassian can throw him some great passes.

Garrison and Edler MUST play the right side on the PP(Or move over there once the puck has been dropped) or we might as well decline all power plays.

PK

Kesler - Burrows

Raymond - Hansen

Lapierre - Higgins

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It's still a ways from the playoffs, and a lot can change between now and then. So there's that...

I will say, i'm growing a little bit more comfortable with Schroeder as the #3C for this team going toward the playoffs...so long as AV is going to manage him like a normal player, and not disrupt everything else trying to 'hide' him come playoffs. That #3C is still the spot i could see us most upgrading at the deadline, but there's the worry that Gillis goes out and grabs another 'Pahlsson' for down the stretch run, leaving Schroeder as 'depth' in the minors and neutering the offensive output of that '3rd line'.

Personally, i still think the best option that i'd feel most confident with, is in Kesler centering a 'Shutdown 2nd Line'.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Burrows-Kesler-Hansen
Raymond-Schroeder-Booth
Higgins-Malhotra-Lapierre

or if Kassian isn't putting up points with the Twins, the effort drops off, or he's getting exposed defensively, you swap Burrows back in there and have something like...

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Hansen
Raymond-Schroeder-Booth
Malhotra-Lapierre-Kassian

With a lineup like that, you've got capable players like Weise and Volpatti in reserve if a series gets nasty and you need some extra 'grit' here and there. And you've got a guy like Jensen stashed in the minors if you suffer a few injuries in the top-six. It's a very deep lineup, as long as Schroeder can hold up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->