Going from rollerskating to ice skating...

hulagirl52490

Mar 1, 2006
Hi everyone!
Im 16, and I wanted to pick up ice skating (which will hopefully progress into playing ice hockey at some point in time), but ive never really skated on ice before. I rollerblade a lot, and i have been for a while, but im slightly terrified of getting onto the ice... (my uncle died when he fell backwards onto the ice and hit his head when i was younger...)

Any suggestions on how to make the transition a little smoother? Would lessons be the way to go?
I wanted to start during the summer, before school starts up again, but i guess we will see how that goes...

Anything would be helpful!

Last edited:

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
A class wouldn't hurt but ice skating isn't a LOT different than rollerskating. The hardest transition points are
1) the rocker on a hockey skate(if you're even going to use hockey skates)
2) edge control, learning your edges(roller skates have a constant edge)

Just go out and try it, face your fear. Take it slow and you'll figure it out... go with some friends it might make you feel better. Good luck :)

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Naturally since I have skated since around age 5 I have a harder time on Inline Skates than I do on ice, I just recently purchased some RBK 4k inlines, (cheap and gives me a chance to do some dry land training) and also a Bauer Rocker chassis for them which I have not mounted yet, Anyway my problem with Inline is the constant edge as the previous poster mentioned, Ice and Inline are very similar in a straight line but turning, unless its a cross over is differant. One thing I can do is skate forward on Ice and then turn and while turning transition to skating backwards, which you cant really do on inline skates I have noticed ( almost fell when I tried). But you shouldn't have any real problems just learning that on Ice you have less limitations as far as turning and stopping, same concept differant surface just go out there and have fun dont be scared, it will come too you.

Blindsided

Jul 2, 2006
at the rink
I basically went through the same thing as you. Ive been roller blading since i could walk and just about five months ago i made the transition to ice skating which now im training for the up-coming ice hockey season. Normally, if you can roller blade really well you will pick up ice skating real easily (it only took me 5 minutes to get used to it). I guess the only difference that i have noticed is that its harder to keep your balance. So anything that is good for working on your balance is beneficial. Bike riding is a good way to practice that. Hope this will help you and good luck!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->