God of War (PS4)

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
f*** it...just bought it.

Wasn't planning on buying a game until "Detroit: Become Human" but i make exceptions for elite games.

Randallooch

Sep 4, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Calling it now, this is getting Game of the Year. I can't get enough. Maybe 10-12 hours in and still feels like there is so much more to do, but I take my time and explore every area thoroughly. Best tip I can offer, which has been said already, you can't zerg this like you would the original series. Blocking, parrying, evading, timing your attacks and special move are crucial.

TheCanasianfrasian

Aug 18, 2006
Montreal
the different combinations of your moveset really are what make this game so much fun imo.

i'm using my axe alot to CC one dude then just shield bash another one until stunned then R3 his ass

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
I just about shed tears when Kratos is about to comfort "the boy" and hesitates. Reminds me of the Joel and Ellie dynamic from The Last of Us

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Damn this game is good. I’ve never finished a God of War game, but this will be the first. I’m actually interested in the story too which is almost never the case. This is a definite must play game.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Played about 4 hours tonight....I can't remember the last time I spent 4 hours in one sitting playing a game...maybe 6-7 years ago?

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Yea this will probably be my favourite PS4 exclusive, see yea Bloodborne. This is a game you buy a system for, and I don't think any other PS4 game I would say that for.. bloodborne being close. Curious to see if this will dethrone Witcher 3 for my GOTG.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
The combat at the beginning of the game was a little underwhelming after reading about how great it was, but after a few hours when you start to unlock new and different skills it opens up a lot. I hate that I have to work and can't stay home playing it all day :(

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
The combat at the beginning of the game was a little underwhelming after reading about how great it was, but after a few hours when you start to unlock new and different skills it opens up a lot. I hate that I have to work and can't stay home playing it all day :(
And it only gets better! One thing I really dig is how unique the fighting styles are of different enemies. You need to adapt to each enemy you fight.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I never thought I would find myself seeing Kratos as an interesting and even likable character, but here we are.

Well done Sony.

I legit had to rewatch some cutscenes from the original trilogy to make sure I wasn’t misremembering things, but Kratos really was a ridiculous cartoon character.

It is weird to think, but the character’s impact in this game really would be less without all the insanity from the old games.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It's an interesting mix of elements of the old games combined with new stuff. It feels fresh and familiar at the same time. Whoever created the ax throwing and return dynamic is a genius. That mechanic alone is a ton of fun.

I'm trying to remember from the older games if the whole game (outside of cutscenes) were done in one continuous, unbreaking shot with no loading screens or anything. I remember God of War 2 in particular feeling like one big interlocked level, and God of War 3 literally had you traversing through heaven and earth without having it cut. Regardless, the choice to do that an incorporate "cut scenes" as part of it was an awesome idea. The game clearly has a more cinematic feel to it compared to the arcade-like feel of the old ones. The old ones would go cinematic in the boss fights, but this game feels like that style more or less all the time.

Having only fought one legit boss so far though, I do have a question for others that have played through at least part of the game. If you're on the 2nd lowest (default) difficulty, does the game put the fight on rails to some degree? Obviously there are a ton of different stages to the fight, and as the fight wore on I got better at it and started to inflict damage easier while taking less myself. On the first section, however, I probably got him down to half health whereas I was nearly dead. Then, out of seemingly nowhere, it entered a cinematic cue and I entered the next "stage" of the fight. Is that something that is done on the lower difficulties? I don't know for sure, but I kind of got the feeling that I couldn't die. I still haven't died in game yet either, although I have no doubt that you obviously can die. Just referring to that one boss fight sequence in particular.

All the old games had fixed camera placements that usually changed from room to room. It also moved around a lot for cutscenes.

It wasn’t anywhere remotely like this game, and the series is all the better for it.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I fought that flying elf bastard for 40 minutes, and still have yet to beat him. Tomorrow is another day, I suppose.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
All the old games had fixed camera placements that usually changed from room to room. It also moved around a lot for cutscenes.

It wasn’t anywhere remotely like this game, and the series is all the better for it.
It's been a while, thanks for the reminder. I just remember the level design being very "linked-together", so thought it may have been the whole "one shot" thing as well.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
It's been a while, thanks for the reminder. I just remember the level design being very "linked-together", so thought it may have been the whole "one shot" thing as well.
there were sequences where the camera did track across large sections of a level, I specifically was impressed by that watching a playthrough of God of war 3 recently, but the camera angle still cuts pretty frequently.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
3126D40F-6171-425E-8E9F-C3D4ED636239.png

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
Watched the last boss battle last night on Twitch. Bah gawd. I definitely need to purchase a PS4.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
I'm playing on easy difficulty and aren't having much of a problem beating anyone :)
I went with the second hardest difficulty. It's been really tough for me because I'm not very good at video games lol. I've managed to trudge through a couple Souls games and Nioh though so I think I'll get through it eventually. It's going to be a pain in the ass though.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I went with the second hardest difficulty. It's been really tough for me because I'm not very good at video games lol. I've managed to trudge through a couple Souls games and Nioh though so I think I'll get through it eventually. It's going to be a pain in the ass though.
Same here. I also get frustrated easily, and make dumb mistakes. Kratos told his son to control his rage perhaps I should take his advice, oyeee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad