God of War (PS4)

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
I was just feeling okay about it and was going to pick it up at one point, but after seeing that 30 minutes of gameplay footage or whatever it was, this is going to be a Day 1 buy.

That combat looks so good and love hearing everyone say they love how it and the axe specifically feels.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Ok, I take back what I said. Reviewers are GUSHING over this game.

And I LOVE the fact they casted Christopher Judge for the voice of the main guy!!

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
This could be shaping up to being one of the best games of this console generation.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
This could be shaping up to being one of the best games of this console generation.
It's a 95 on MC. It's already one of the best games of the generation in terms of reviews.

That's higher than the 2 best games of the generation so far - Witcher3 and Bloodborne, so I'm getting it.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Couple hours in, all I can say is wow.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Played the first couple hours, and this game is awesome. The fan noise gets better when in game, and I just wear my headset to help. Playing on the 2nd hardest difficulty, and it's not joke so far.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
It's an interesting mix of elements of the old games combined with new stuff. It feels fresh and familiar at the same time. Whoever created the ax throwing and return dynamic is a genius. That mechanic alone is a ton of fun.

I'm trying to remember from the older games if the whole game (outside of cutscenes) were done in one continuous, unbreaking shot with no loading screens or anything. I remember God of War 2 in particular feeling like one big interlocked level, and God of War 3 literally had you traversing through heaven and earth without having it cut. Regardless, the choice to do that an incorporate "cut scenes" as part of it was an awesome idea. The game clearly has a more cinematic feel to it compared to the arcade-like feel of the old ones. The old ones would go cinematic in the boss fights, but this game feels like that style more or less all the time.

Having only fought one legit boss so far though, I do have a question for others that have played through at least part of the game. If you're on the 2nd lowest (default) difficulty, does the game put the fight on rails to some degree? Obviously there are a ton of different stages to the fight, and as the fight wore on I got better at it and started to inflict damage easier while taking less myself. On the first section, however, I probably got him down to half health whereas I was nearly dead. Then, out of seemingly nowhere, it entered a cinematic cue and I entered the next "stage" of the fight. Is that something that is done on the lower difficulties? I don't know for sure, but I kind of got the feeling that I couldn't die. I still haven't died in game yet either, although I have no doubt that you obviously can die. Just referring to that one boss fight sequence in particular.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
It's an interesting mix of elements of the old games combined with new stuff. It feels fresh and familiar at the same time. Whoever created the ax throwing and return dynamic is a genius. That mechanic alone is a ton of fun.

I'm trying to remember from the older games if the whole game (outside of cutscenes) were done in one continuous, unbreaking shot with no loading screens or anything. I remember God of War 2 in particular feeling like one big interlocked level, and God of War 3 literally had you traversing through heaven and earth without having it cut. Regardless, the choice to do that an incorporate "cut scenes" as part of it was an awesome idea. The game clearly has a more cinematic feel to it compared to the arcade-like feel of the old ones. The old ones would go cinematic in the boss fights, but this game feels like that style more or less all the time.

Having only fought one legit boss so far though, I do have a question for others that have played through at least part of the game. If you're on the 2nd lowest (default) difficulty, does the game put the fight on rails to some degree? Obviously there are a ton of different stages to the fight, and as the fight wore on I got better at it and started to inflict damage easier while taking less myself. On the first section, however, I probably got him down to half health whereas I was nearly dead. Then, out of seemingly nowhere, it entered a cinematic cue and I entered the next "stage" of the fight. Is that something that is done on the lower difficulties? I don't know for sure, but I kind of got the feeling that I couldn't die. I still haven't died in game yet either, although I have no doubt that you obviously can die. Just referring to that one boss fight sequence in particular.

I'm playing on default as well and actually died fighting the troll because I wasn't being smart, I too almost died in the first boss and it entered a cinematic que so I think it was supposed to happen in that fight. It was such a long fight it could have ended most games. Probably the coolest boss fight I've seen in a long time

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Just wait.

Next year we'll get people who watched a bunch of talking heads on YouTube parrot very specific complaints as reasons as to why the game is overrated.

People are starting to say BotW wasn't that good. It will happen to God of PS4 as well.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I'm going to jump on the hype train, and say that first boss fight was intense- my god. I'm not a huge gamer, but I've never experienced such a badass fight. I can't wait to see what the future holds in regards to this game!

Reactions: Tuggy

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Also, may need to go down a level. I'm on the second hardest difficulty and dying a lot. Oyeee...

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Played like 5 God of War games and really didn’t care for any of them not even sure why I did except that I owned them and saw it through.

Still a horrible camera control button masher? Has to be different for all the gushing but all my wind to ever play it was taken out of my sails a long time ago.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Played like 5 God of War games and really didn’t care for any of them not even sure why I did except that I owned them and saw it through.

Still a horrible camera control button masher? Has to be different for all the gushing but all my wind to ever play it was taken out of my sails a long time ago.
The game is like completely different from the older games. Just look up some gameplay videos or impressions. I've played like 5 hours so far and it's amazing. Well on its way to my GOTY and best PS4 exclusive. The first boss fight was incredible and was better than most things I've done in games the last few years.

I'm playing on the 2nd hardest difficulty and have died quite a few times already but Im got getting better and learning new moves and skills.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

I'm only a couple hours in. It doesn't play a thing like the original God of War games. Honestly closer to a Souls type combat system than anything else. Feels very punishing if you make a mistake. Need to learn enemy combat and when to attack, block, evade etc.

Still early in, but so far it's an A+ for me. Really into it. Looks freaking amazing.

I'm running it on an original PS4. Not having any issues with it.

I'm playing on the 2nd hardest difficulty. It's very punishing lol.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm only a couple hours in. It doesn't play a thing like the original God of War games. Honestly closer to a Souls type combat system than anything else. Feels very punishing if you make a mistake. Need to learn enemy combat and when to attack, block, evade etc.

Still early in, but so far it's an A+ for me. Really into it. Looks freaking amazing.

I'm running it on an original PS4. Not having any issues with it.

I'm playing on the 2nd hardest difficulty. It's very punishing lol.

100% yes.

I died on the first two bosses cause I expected to just go in and frag out by holding R1 and R2. Definitely not the case. It's satisfying when you take them down though.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

The camera angle is completely different. It's no longer an overhead view. The camera is set directly behind Kratos, so it makes the fighting much more difficult.

In fact- thus far- the combat system may be my favorite element of this game. The battles are difficult yet epic. Button mashing doesn't work. It takes timing and understanding of your opponent to truly get better. It's just a blast, and having your son as an ally and a throwing axe makes the experience all the more unique.

Honestly, everything in this game is topnotch thus far- the combat system, the story, the graphics, the exploration, even the voiceovers are really well done. There's no chance it doesn't win game of the year.

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
I've watched a few guys on Twitch play the game and I'm considering buying a PS4 just to play the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad