TV: God Friended Me.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Wondered if anyone else has seen this new show.

I'm actually enjoying it. It's fun watching a show that is all about helping people and feel good endings. Ratings are slowly improving.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I've heard the protrayal of atheism is very poor (stereotype bad things happen so god can't exist bs, not the much more common realization people have to come to atheism based on reasoning, logic, and evidence) so this is a hard pass from me.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I've heard the protrayal of atheism is very poor (stereotype bad things happen so god can't exist bs, not the much more common realization people have to come to atheism based on reasoning, logic, and evidence) so this is a hard pass from me.

Eh isn't it like that with pretty much any TV show for whatever they're trying to portray?

What I'd say it's really doing is taking an atheist as the central character and making a 'feel good' story about helping people in a universe where god apparently does actually exist under the premise that god is speaking to him through social media. And note that the atheist guy is a genuinely good person, he's not doing good things because god is helping him.

I'm not selling it or anything but just saying that this appears to be what they're going for with the show. It's not something intended to portray atheists positively/negatively/accurately/etc.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
The show is much harder on religion than it is on its atheistic lead character. As was stated, he is a good guy who doesn't believe it is God behind the account. We as viewers certainly don't know.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad