Injury Report: Goat, Dermott, Borgman?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
ACHES AND PAINS: Frederik Gauthier, vying for the fourth-line centre job, missed practice Thursday with a shoulder injury.
He apparently aggravated his shoulder during the Leafs pre-season game in Ottawa Wednesday evening.

Defenceman Travis Dermott (shoulder) missed a second consecutive day on the ice with the main groups in camp but skated on his own prior to workouts Thursday.
Dermott’s absence — while expected to be minimal — also factors into what is a solid and tight battle for the final defensive spots on the roster.

source:
Mike Babcock chides young Leafs Andreas Johnsson, Kasperi Kapanen at practice | The Star

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
If GOAT is on IR does that help us hold on to him without exposing him to waivers?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
What a nightmare for both players.

We may never see The Goat in a Leafs uni and we may not see Dermott for a while.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
If GOAT is on IR does that help us hold on to him without exposing him to waivers?

Nobody is going on the actual LTIR list as it would negstively affect our cap next year (rookie bonuses) when we need cap space. We could keep him up and then put him in the AHL for conditioning though whrn he gets healthy to delay decision making.

Idk if we can get away with something else that doesnt require LTIR though.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I'm not sure why when i look at all the projected lineups by most posters here pretty much everyone has Dermott in the top 6.

He was outplayed by Rosen on the Marlies, he has been outplayed by Rosen in camp...and now he's hurt. And we have waivers on him. I don't think Dermott is breaking camp with the Leafs unless Rosen blows it.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'm not sure why when i look at all the projected lineups by most posters here pretty much everyone has Dermott in the top 6.

He was outplayed by Rosen on the Marlies, he has been outplayed by Rosen in camp...and now he's hurt. And we have waivers on him. I don't think Dermott is breaking camp with the Leafs unless Rosen blows it.

Dermott had stellar numbers with the Leafs last year. From an advanced stats perspective, he was our best D man, defensively from the time he joined the team. That he's had one (two?) poor preseason, games, is not going to change that.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Dermott had stellar numbers with the Leafs last year. From an advanced stats perspective, he was our best D man, defensively from the time he joined the team. That he's had one (two?) poor preseason, games, is not going to change that.

He did have a good first season with the Leafs which is why he had the inside track on the job and it was his to lose.

I think he's lost it.

You're also ignoring the following:

- Rosen was better than Dermott in the Marlies run last year. Keefe and Dubas have both said he was their best Dman.

- Babcock was critical of Dermott early in camp

- Rosen has played better than Dermott this camp

- Dermott is not 100% healthy

- Rosen is 3 years older than Dermott. Dermott's still a baby at 21.

- Rosen left Sweden and signed here presuming he would have a fair shot with the team. There is no way, especially given the above considerations, the org cannot be seriously weighing out the idea that Rosen deserves a chance to break with the team. Nor is there any scenario where Dermott/Rosen is in the press box other than being hurt. They both are developing and both need to playing with the Leafs or Marlies.

- Babcock put Rosen with OZZY last game and they both had a very strong game.

Like I said, I think Rosen is going to have to have a bad week here to not break camp as the 3rd LD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->