Goaltending prospect depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic Rattlehead*

Does anyone here think Boston has good goaltending depth? Well I do! :D

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Boston has a strong one, San Jose has some surprises, New York Rangers solid, Pittsburgh solid, lots of teams have good prospect depth. Montreal, Ottawa, and Philadelphia also come to mind.

Minnesota blows for prospect depth on goaltender...Harding is the only prospect worth mentioning with Kopriva, Khudobin, and Kettles behind him. Guess Minnesota is going to stick one of their defensive prospects back there :lol

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
I'd like to think the Rangers are the head of the pack.

Blackburn (in hockey terms hes still a prospect) - Holt - Montoya - Lundqvist

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
I seriously think that the Canucks got the best goaltending out of the '04 draft. Ellis-Plante and Schneider are both potential #1s.

still, Auld isn't playing up to par, and Mensator/McVicar are pretty much guarantees not to make the NHL ever.

Ottawa has the best goalie prospect depth imo.

Kubera55

Mar 15, 2004
NYRangers said:

I'd at least throw Labarberra in there somewhere. He's only 24, and he's dominant at the AHL level . . .

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
NYRangers said:

Forgot Detroit...they have Liv and Howard, good prospects there...

As for NY Rangers, good depth but questionable...

Blackburn is very questionable, Lundqvist is playing in the Euro leagues, Montoya is the only solid guy and I never heard of Holt???

Personally I like Boston more...

Toivonen, Raycroft (though he did graduate), Sigalet, Brown, Regan...

Boston has a ridiculous amount of very solid goaltenders.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Kubera55 said:
I'd at least throw Labarberra in there somewhere. He's only 24, and he's dominant at the AHL level . . .

Yeah, slipped my mind.

Blackburn is very questionable, Lundqvist is playing in the Euro leagues, Montoya is the only solid guy and I never heard of Holt???

How is playing in Euro leagues an excuse? That annoys me. So Ovechkin is questionable? So Malkin is questionable, etc, etc.

Holt is playing in college now. He could become a backup.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Well you don't know how they are going to transit into the NHL. Until Lundqvist comes over and proves he can play in the AHL/NHL, I put him in good goaltender, unproven.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
DoobieDoobieDo said:
Well you don't know how they are going to transit into the NHL. Until Lundqvist comes over and proves he can play in the AHL/NHL, I put him in good goaltender, unproven.

So then you'd put Ovechkin and Malkin as good players, unproven? As well as every other prospect in the AHL?

I'm not saying anyones better than anyone. But I tend to only see that reasoning that he plays in Euro leagues for him but not any other prospect.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Until they come to NA, I put all Euro prospects as good prospects but unproven.

Sushinky comes to mind as a great player in the Euro leagues that couldn't cut it in the NHL. Hannula too. And these are just Wild prospects.

I like Montoya and Lundqvist but I don't think Rangers head the pack. I think there are other teams with better goaltenders out there and better depth.

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
DoobieDoobieDo said:
Personally I like Boston more...

Toivonen, Raycroft (though he did graduate), Sigalet, Brown, Regan...

Boston has a ridiculous amount of very solid goaltenders.

Yeah!!! Good to be a Bruin fan!!

Onion Boy

Jan 29, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
BTW, my vote would go to Boston simply because having both Raycroft and Toivonen is about as solid as you can get.

I hope my Rangers end up with a similar tandem in Montoya and Lundqvist, but neither have proved anything even at the AHL level.

NYIsles1*

DoobieDoobieDo said:
I like Montoya and Lundqvist but I don't think Rangers head the pack. I think there are other teams with better goaltenders out there and better depth.
I think you have to rely on the Ranger experts. Actions spoke londer than any words at the 2004 draft as to what they think of their goaltending.

Those actions indicate they have little faith in the long-term prospect of Blackburn, Holmqvist or LaBarbera helping them or they never use another top overall pick on a second top-ten goaltender.....

Blackburn's draft was considered the deepest in a decade.

What's interesting to me is Schwartz went much later and was considered ahead of Montoya in a respectable number of pre-draft analysis.

This just seems like a bad gamble for an organization that did not have a single top ten pick in it's system (Jessiman was not a top-ten selection) and needed a forward or defender before selecting another goaltender...

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
NYIsles1 said:
I think you have to rely on the Ranger experts. Actions spoke londer than any words at the 2004 draft as to what they think of their goaltending.

Those actions indicate they have little faith in the long-term prospect of Blackburn, Holmqvist or LaBarbera helping them or they never use another top overall pick on a second top-ten goaltender.....

Blackburn's draft was considered the deepest in a decade.

What's interesting to me is Schwartz went much later and was considered ahead of Montoya in a respectable number of pre-draft analysis.

This just seems like a bad gamble for an organization that did not have a single top ten pick in it's system (Jessiman was not a top-ten selection) and needed a forward or defender before selecting another goaltender...

BPA - Best Player Avaliable. Most teams implement this. This is not the NFL draft. Your not drafting for next season, your drafting for years away. Whats wrong with having 3 top goalie prospects COMPETING for the starting job? That competition will make them all better and push them to the max.

Holmqvist? He was dealt like 2 years ago.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
NYRangers said:
BPA - Best Player Avaliable. Most teams implement this. This is not the NFL draft. Your not drafting for next season, your drafting for years away. Whats wrong with having 3 top goalie prospects COMPETING for the starting job? That competition will make them all better and push them to the max.

Holmqvist? He was dealt like 2 years ago.

With all other positions I think the BPA is usually the best strategy, but NOT with goaltenders. Not that high in the draft.

You need 6 defenseman, and 12 forwards, but you ONLY need 1 goalie.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
John Flyers Fan said:
With all other positions I think the BPA is usually the best strategy, but NOT with goaltenders. Not that high in the draft.

Why does everyone stock up on pitching in baseball? You only need 5? Its the most important position.

NYIsles1*

John Flyers Fan said:

Exactly.

It's not baseball where you need several pitchers. You need one ace and one backup...

In the end the Rangers will never acquire talent on the same level as what they paid on draft day to get Blackburn or Montoya.

Last edited by a moderator:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
NYRangers said:
Why does everyone stock up on pitching in baseball? You only need 5? Its the most important position.

No, actually you need a lot more than that.

You need 5 STARTING pitchers, but sometimes they don't work out and they are regulated down to set-up and closers.

You need probably twice or even three times as many pitchers now...

Also why did they draft Montoya if Lundqvist is so good or Blackburn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad