Goaltending instruction disparity: Quebec vs. The World

Status
Not open for further replies.

gr8haluschak

Jul 25, 2004
DisgruntledHawkFan said:
I play a flopper style. I don't really think about stopping the puck... I just react. I've stopped shots by reaching my blocker across my body before. Horrible form. There is no such thing as the "right way". Quebec took the Butterfly and mastered it. The rest of the world is taking pages from it but in say ten years flopping around might be in style. The butterfly is only possible because of the HUGE pads we all have. I'm not saying they should be shrunk at all; forwards have illegal curves and lightweight composite sticks that allow everyone to rip wristshots at 90. I dunno most of my posts just kinda come I just write whatever is goin on in my head so they really lack structure... take it as you will.

Ok well this one makes me really shake my head, that statment makes me really wonder, it does not matter what size pads you have since the butterfly has been used for 30 years ! The butterfly is the most effcient way for various reasons including:
- relativly equal coverage of the net while down
- takes the bottom of the net away very quick
- Allows a better recovery/positioning to face a rebound
- saves energy by not forcing someone to "flop around"
Those points alone allow it to be the most efficient way to make a save, as well as there are many many more benefits to it.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I meant the domination of the butterfly style in todays game... and if by relatively equal coverage you mean 80-20 bottom top then sure.

joking with ya...

hotgoalie11565

Jun 5, 2004
Farmington, Minnesota
Officer Jim Lahey said:
Honestly, I think the reason why they're not being taught is only because "true" butterflyers don't use them...I think that they are effective, but I don't know if a guy like Roy ever used one in his career.

My guess is the reason the pad stack isn't being taught anymore is because if it is used, it takes a lot longer to recover from that than it would take to drop in the butterfly and get up and get into position for a possible rebound.
But you are right about Roy though, Jim. Once he really learned the butterfly he never used the stack again. I have been playing goal for five years now. And I can honestly say I have never used the stack because my thought is it would take me way too long to recover from that than if I butterfly. BTW, I am 5' 10" tall, so yes I am more susceptible to high shots than someone with the height of, say, Tom Barrasso. But I counter that by playing not so deep in the net. :teach:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad