Goaltending could be Canada's Achilles Heel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
Canada has by far the most depth in goal, but I'm a little concerned that Hasek, Lundqvist or Kiprusoff could steal the show. I'm not that impressed with anyone on our list right now.

Belfour - over the hill
Brodeur - not having a good season
Cloutier - god help us if he plays
Joseph - chokes under pressure
Luongo - hard to evaluate because his team sucks
Raycroft - I'd rather use Cloutier
Theodore - been good but not great this year
Turco - been quite good, but unproven in pressure games
Ward - not even the # 1 goalie on his team!

One of these guys had better step it up in the next two months!

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
yeah but you already know that Brodeur and Luongo are gonna be there, Joseph being the number 3

and besides, Canada has the most depth at ANY POSITION. I'm not bashing any other country, but just like the US in baseball, Canada is number 1 in ice hockey.

ZadorovNJD*

Canada could play their #6 d-man and a forward for 60 minutes and they would still be better than NJ.

CB420

Aug 13, 2005
Edmonton,AB
I gotta admit man, after watching the devils get spanked by cowtown the other night, I was kinda wondering about Marty brodeur and how he hasent been solid for most the season, yeah hes lacking defensive depth and paul martin isnt gonna replace neidermayer.

After watching parts of that devils/avs game tonight, even tho the devils lost in the shootout, it was kinda funny there all the avs werel looking high glove on marty and he shut down sakic, then hejduk I think, but he rebounded after that bad game, and you still gotta go with him as your #1

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
In 98 we thought we couldn't lose with Roy in net and look what happened. Depth in goal doesn't help us if the other team's best goalie is better than our best goalie. If Hasek is still on fire come Turin, Canada had better be at the top of their game!

wildone26*

I do think Czechs will have to edge in goaltending over Canada right now with Hasek and Vokoun. Hopefully Canada can overcome that deficit. They still have very good goaltending, but the top goalies in Canada are not in top form this year, and Joseph is not somebody I would put money on vs a superstar goalie from another country.

AGraveOne

Jan 24, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Joseph has played great with PHX this year, i say give him the shot...but Gretz will be seen as a homer if he does that, so it makes for a tough decision.

Truth be told though, the position is Brodeur's to lose. Any other decision and the controversy stirred up could totally distract the "replacement" goalie.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Interesting. In the past it has always been the opposite. Goaltending was our strength and offence was our weakness. While goaltending certainly is not our weakness I think that our offence is more solid than our defence this time around.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Brodeur is already the gaurenteed starter Gretzky has said due to what happened at World Cup and Olympics. Only way he wouldn't is if he pulled out of the tourny.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Brodeur was not terrible in the last world championships, especially considering how he didn't play before that.

Goaltending will be just fine. Even if Brodeur doesn't play great, both Turco and Joseph are having very good seasons

espo*

Walzy said:
don't eliminate Turco, he really found his game now....

and Pat Quinn had nice 60 minutes today to watch him :sarcasm:
he played damn good tonight too.Nice work from him against the leafs this game.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Hedberg said:
Brodeur was not terrible in the last world championships, especially considering how he didn't play before that.

Yeah but he was great at the World Cup after a long sunny vacation ...

wildone26*

Brodeur was pretty good in the World Championships, Vokoun was simply on fire in the final and outplayed him, and the Canadians could not cope with the Czechs defensive smothering in that game. Hopefully they will have figured out a solution to that by the Olympics.

habsprospects

Nov 24, 2003
Sherbrooke, QC
habsprospects.com
roshiajin said:
yeah but you already know that Brodeur and Luongo are gonna be there, Joseph being the number 3

and besides, Canada has the most depth at ANY POSITION. I'm not bashing any other country, but just like the US in baseball, Canada is number 1 in ice hockey.
We could easely send two Team Canada and finish 1-2

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
I really don't want Luongo to backup Brodeur.

The backup should be a battle-tested veteran who has nerves of steel and can be thrown into pressure situations and remain calm, cool and collected. I don't trust a young guy like Luongo, who hasn't even played in the playoffs, to help provide that.

I like Luongo as a 3rd string goalie, a young goalie who would come, gain some experience, and give Canada a veteran goalie at the 2010 Olympics. But as a backup goalie who will be used minimally and only in desperate situations (when Brodeur's shelled out and we can't give up another goal), I would much prefer a proven veteran like Joseph or even Belfour or even Turco or even Theodore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->