Speculation: Goaltending Conundrum next season

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Now Freddy is obviously back as #1 and McBackup had a solid year but with Garrett Sparks and Calvin Pickard both needing waivers next year how does that situation play out.

Sparks was named best goalie in the AHL and looks ready for at least a back up role in the NHL so you would think a team looking for a cheap backup would pick him up.

Pickard has started in the NHL and for the Leafs to trade for him you would think they see some potential for him at the big club. Another guy that likely wouldn’t make it past waivers and be a backup somewhere.

McBackup was great this season but is also 34 and definitely not the future. So all in all, what do the Leafs do?

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I think Sparks deserves an opportunity as a backup somewhere in the NHL. His first tour of duty may not have been the greatest, but goalies take longer to develop and he's been nothing short of amazing this year. I don't think he gets a shot with us, McBackup earned his spot this year.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I think Sparks deserves an opportunity as a backup somewhere in the NHL. His first tour of duty may not have been the greatest, but goalies take longer to develop and he's been nothing short of amazing this year. I don't think he gets a shot with us, McBackup earned his spot this year.
Keeping mcelhinney over sparks would be pretty foolish

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Might be able to get some value back for cmac. I’d like to see what sparks can do...

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
The Leafs gave Pickard a game this year, but not Sparks despite what the stats show. I could see Sparks having more trade value, while Pickard has past NHL experience. My guess is Pickard.

Andersen
Pickard

Kaskisuo
Euro Signing

Heeter
Skapsi

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
My personal preference would be to see Sparks backing up Freddy next year.

Were it up to me, I'd move McElhinney at the Draft for the best pick or C/D prospect you can get, and let Sparks and Pickard duke it out for the backup role next year, with Sparks' current campaign being the de facto tie-breaker if one doesn't significantly outplay the other. If you think the guy who doesn't get the job will be claimed on waivers, then try and get some value for them.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
We have the perfect backup and we want our goalie prospects playing. We will probably stand pat as far as goaltending goes.
Both Sparks and Pickard will be available to all *30 other teams for free if we try to send them back to the AHL - Standing pat isn't really a control-your-own-destiny kind of choice in this situation, which makes it a very risky one.

*In fairness, most teams will likely have their 2 guys already established by that point - Who knows how many teams will actually be in the market?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Both Sparks and Pickard will be available to all *30 other teams for free if we try to send them back to the AHL - Standing pat isn't really a control-your-own-destiny kind of choice in this situation, which makes it a very risky one.

*In fairness, most teams will likely have their 2 guys already established by that point - Who knows how many teams will actually be in the market?

If true then agree we can't stand pat.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
We have the perfect backup and we want our goalie prospects playing. We will probably stand pat as far as goaltending goes.
If you read the OP you'd see standing pat is not an option. I'd try to trade McBackup in the offseason and have Sparks take over his role next year

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Sell high on McBackup and then let Sparks and Pickard battle it out for the back up role.

Or trade Sparks or Pickard if they have more interest and keep McBackup.

Reactions: Brown Dog

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Really depends on what the in house book is on Sparks. Does he have that late 20s potential to turn into a starter in the NHL or is he a backup goalie you can get on waivers every year? Like could he grow up to be a Freddy Andersen or is he McBackup?

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Some time on the IR at the start of the season for McElhinney allowing Sparks to get a few games as a backup would really help... lol

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I would make sparks the backup goalie next season, Mcbackup did his job for us but you need to start developing goalies to get assets for them.

Look at the kings, they have traded Jones and Bernier for a 2nd round pick and Jones went for a 1st.
Darling from the Blackhawks went for a 3rd

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Not sure who ends up winning the backup spot, though McElhinney might still have an edge. All three have been through waivers at some point. Pickard would need to be signed to a new deal as an RFA. Sparks and McElhinney are under contract and on one way deals, though those are inexpensive.

Goalie would seem to be the easiest position to sneak through waivers, but timing and the health of other teams' netminders could play a part.

Keato

Apr 9, 2016
Winnipeg, MB
Regardless of what the off-season brings, the most important thing is that Freddy doesn't play as much. Given how well McElhinney played, he should have gotten some non-back to back starts before the last few games of the season. So whoever can handle 25-30 games would be my choice.

Reactions: glucker

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
This is a tough call because either way, one of Pickard or Sparks will need to clear waivers.

I would say that McElhinney should be traded. I say this while believing that McElhinney is a very good backup. He deserves to play in the NHL next season either way, but it just wouldn't make sense to put both Sparks and Pickard on waivers.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
This is a tough call because either way, one of Pickard or Sparks will need to clear waivers.

I would say that McElhinney should be traded. I say this while believing that McElhinney is a very good backup. He deserves to play in the NHL next season either way, but it just wouldn't make sense to put both Sparks and Pickard on waivers.

To be honest I think McElhinney is just as likely to bomb next season as he is having another good season. I don't trust him to have another good season.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Management will not risk losing both to waivers and not likely either of them. If there is no trade before the season starts look for both to be on our opening roster until we trade one of them. Mc Backup is Likely gone. I am speaking about Sparks and Pickard and my money is on Pickard being our backup next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad