Goaltending and Coaching: Last two areas to address

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Apart from some tinkering here and there (perhaps to maximize assets, make room for rookies and maybe get us back into the first round next year), I would say that Army has done his job with the forwards and D-Men.

IMO, goaltending now stands out as the largest issue for the Blues with coaching being the next issue.

What should be our plan for addressing the above? How much of a leash does Jake get this year? Will they give Husso adequate NHL time to continue his development?

How about Yeo? What if he follows his usual trajectory with a huge mid-season swoon and/or simply can't architect a good power play?

Please feel free to weigh in with your thoughts.

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
What I'm hoping for is that with the additions that we've made, we will be able to give Allen some goals. This should let him not have to hold onto as many razor thin goal margins, which should help his confidence and he won't make as many mistakes.

Of course this could just be the psychiatrist in me speaking and I could be completely wrong, but I hope I'm right because no way is Armstrong moving that contract

Reactions: CaliBlues710

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Don't think either of these are going to be addressed after the great day yesterday, Yeo and Allen were both given a ten roster to succeed this year if they fail then we move on next season

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Yeo will at least be given a full year to coach this team. Armstrong realizes the mess dumped on him last year. Now that he has a legitimately competitive roster, Yeo gets his chance to put his mark on the team. It’s quite a bit different for a coach when he doesn’t have to be mister triage.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
“Now that Berglund and Sobotka are gone, you’re requisite whipping boys for the 2018-19 season will be Mike Yeo and Jake Allen.”

You couldn’t even wait 12 hours to start complaining again? STOP THE MADNESS AND LET YOURSELF BE HAPPY

Are they whipping boys or legitimate issues that need to be addressed? Allen was bad last year and the team would have been a lot worse without Hutton's play. We no longer have Hutton, nor would we expect him to repeat last year's performance. I am not expecting that out of Johnson either, so Allen has to step up. I don't think its an argument that competitive teams don't often have their starter sporting a .906 save percentage. Nor is it debatable that being 2nd last in the league on the Powerplay is not ideal. We got the pieces for our PP now, but the problem wasn't just lacking a RHS before. It was poorly coached, or poorly executed, or both, too. I don't think a thread asking about either is complaining, or whipping the whipping boy, or any other exaggeration. Its asking, here are two known issues, do we need to examine them further? Have we fixed them (with Johnson + Van Ryn)? Can we power through with our other improvements? Is there anything we can do to help at this point with very little cap space?

I got lots of respect for you Morty, you know that. But the madness was screaming at him for wanting to discuss legitimate questions on a hockey discussion forum. @carter333167 's post wasn't inflammatory in the least.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stealth JD

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
“Now that Berglund and Sobotka are gone, you’re requisite whipping boys for the 2018-19 season will be Mike Yeo and Jake Allen.”

You couldn’t even wait 12 hours to start complaining again? STOP THE MADNESS AND LET YOURSELF BE HAPPY
Lets be honest, they would've been whipping boys regardless, they already were last season.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeo will at least be given a full year to coach this team. Armstrong realizes the mess dumped on him last year. Now that he has a legitimately competitive roster, Yeo gets his chance to put his mark on the team. It’s quite a bit different for a coach when he doesn’t have to be mister triage.
Exactly. This is Yeo's test now, and he'll have a real chance to actually succeed with it.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
I think people will be happy with johnson. Before last year, he had good career numbers as a backup. Its unfair to judge him by last year cuz buffalos defense was seriously terrible. We have a solid defense and career backups lately have thrived under our defense. He might not be as good as elliott or hutton was with us, but I think his numbers will look much better than last season

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I think people will be happy with johnson. Before last year, he had good career numbers as a backup. Its unfair to judge him by last year cuz buffalos defense was seriously terrible. We have a solid defense and career backups lately have thrived under our defense. He might not be as good as elliott or hutton was with us, but I think his numbers will look much better than last season
I agree. I think he'l play just fine behind our defence, because he has positioned himself well over most of his career, so far, and he's also got decent reflexes. I think he'll also be capable of taking on a heavier game load at times, if Allen gets in a funk. But, he's also not well enough established to block Husso from getting a trial when he is ready.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
johnson was outplaying elliott in calgary and people love elliott here for whatever reason

he will be a fine backup

Reactions: STLBLUES44

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
BOBROVSKY and RINNE are UFA’s next year.....and bouw and Gunnar opens up 8.3 mill for us next year, add in Jakes 4.3 and I think we can make a serious run at one of them

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
johnson was outplaying elliott in calgary and people love elliott here for whatever reason

he will be a fine backup

I don't think the question was about our backup. Its about the other guy, the one a few people love for whatever reason, but can't seal a post or keep from sliding out of the net to save his life. The one Elliot outplayed his entire time here yet we went with the loser who proceeded to play the worst hockey of his career when absolutely gifted the starting gig. The headcase, you know the one, he's kitten soft.

Reactions: 91ReasonsYouLose

bluebird enthusiast

Dec 3, 2014
What I'm hoping for is that with the additions that we've made, we will be able to give Allen some goals. This should let him not have to hold onto as many razor thin goal margins, which should help his confidence and he won't make as many mistakes.

Of course this could just be the psychiatrist in me speaking and I could be completely wrong, but I hope I'm right because no way is Armstrong moving that contract

Keeping this in mind, we need to be careful in the event a decent free agent starter pops up. With Husso on deck, I'd hate to tie up more money in goaltending given our situation.

Reactions: Chief Steele

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO

I'm of the belief that if you have to worry about your goalie's confidence issues in July...you don't have a Cup quality goalie.

Allen isn't good enough. You can't trust him. We know this.

Reactions: justmuckit

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Based on our history, Chad Johnson will have a .925 save percentage and people will be clamoring for him to start.

This would continue to say a lot about Jake Allen.

Everyone loves to defend Allen by saying the team in front of him didn't play well on nights he struggled. "Losing is a team effort!"

Then you look at what Brian Elliott and Carter Hutton did behind that same team and you realize...Allen just stinks.

If Chad Johnson does the same...it should really speak volumes.

Reactions: 91ReasonsYouLose

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
rinne is too old to be a answer unless hes brought in on a hasek-detroit like basis

doubt thats realistic anyways, i havent looked at preds cap but cant imagine them letting rinne go

Reactions: The Note in MI

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
rinne is too old to be a answer unless hes brought in on a hasek-detroit like basis

doubt thats realistic anyways, i havent looked at preds cap but cant imagine them letting rinne go
I could see them handing the keys to Saros. They’re gonna want to keep and pay ekholm and Josi and maybe try to get another top9 fwd..... not sure they could do that if they’re paying rinne 8mill a year

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Johnson will get dumped to waivers and Husso will take his spot and become #1 goaltender in Blues. Allen will be back-up boy.

uzpnr9nn4vi01.jpg

Reactions: trevorftw

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see King Douglas try and move Allen+ this offseason for someone like Bob, Schneider, Rask(heard he’s potentially available and would be my number 1 choice).

Also, as far as the powerplay, we just added a bunch of pieces to ours.

I’d run these as our two PP units

Thomas-O’Reilly
Parayko-Tarasenko
Pietrangelo

Bozak-Schwartz
Perron-Schenn
Dunn

1st unit would work best as a pure umbrella setup, and the 2nd would probably be best as an umbrella/overload hybrid.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I think this is the last year DA will tolerate the inconsistency. Allen doesn't have any excuses this year, because we should be able to give him some goal support. I've never been a goalie, but it seems that confidence is one of the major things goalies have to have going for them, and Jake has been up and down the whole time he's been a starter. He has to find a way to center himself and be more consistent or he may be moved. I have faith that he'll get it together, but goal tending appears to be the biggest question mark now that the scoring has been addressed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->