Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I'm going to start up 2008-09 shortly.

First, links to past season threads (now that they're all unstickied):

2007-08: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=427715
2006-07: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=298301
2005-06: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=195803

One request - PLEASE do not post your answers publically to this thread. It's not fair to others who would like a fair shot at playing the game. Now that I have the ability, I'll most likely just delete posts if people don't abide by this request (although don't catch me on a bad morning! :D ). I'll take answer submissions both through e-mail and through private messages on HFBoards (although I'd prefer e-mail just to keep things straight in my mind).

Most important request: HAVE FUN! Every decision I make regarding the trivia is with this idea in mind, so please keep it in yours as well.

Just as a reminder, I usually respond to all answer submissions on the weekend following the deadline (and not before). On the face of it, it's to prevent cheating, but really it's so that I can take care of it all at once.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
And.....we're back!

Welcome back to everyone - it was a long and productive offseason for yours truly. The first thing you're probably wondering is what the heck is going on with the Goaltender page - more specifically, you're probably wondering why the 2007-08 statistics have yet to be added to the page.

Well, I've been cramming all of my available time into modernizing the page. First a little background - what may surprise some of you is that everything you see on my site is a static page, which made sense back in 1994 when I started the site. And there are well over one thousand biographies alone, which makes it hard to go back and update things en masse.

So this summer I decided to bite the bullet. I'm self-taught with HTML, so it's been a bit of a learning curve with the inclusion of databases and dynamic sites, and I'm hoping to have everything golden before the new year. For a preview:

http://hockeygoalies.org/bio/test/playerregister.php

The nice part is that when I want to make changes to make the pages easier to use, I can do it in one location and it will automatically affect every biography. Anyhow, thoughts and comments are welcome, and watch that page for more updates.

But I guarantee that very few of you are here to talk about web page scripting, so let's get to the hockey! The two-pointer is a Goaltender Trivia tradition and a good way to warm up for the harder questions...

----------------------------------------------------------------
GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR THIRTEEN WEEK ONE (Answers due 10pm MST 10/18/08):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Name the goaltender who yielded the first goal of the 2008-09 National Hockey League regular season.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the goaltender mask pioneer whose masks have appeared in the movies "Strange Brew" and "Youngblood", and who appeared in person (as a goalie double) in the movie "Net Worth".

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender may have a poor reputation as a puckstopper, but in his National Hockey League debut, he snapped the (then-)longest undefeated streak in league history. Name him.

PICTORAL QUESTION: Name the following goaltender:
year13week01.jpg

Good luck!
Doug
http://hockeygoalies.org

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Wow! A lot of the top trivia guns were waiting for this one, as we had nine perfect scores in week one to crowd the top of the leader board. I really thought that the five-pointer would snag more than a few (actually, it did snag more than a few), so kudos to all of you!

If you didn't see the glove save that Antero Niittymaki made on Jonathan Cheechoo last night, you should YouTube it. Fantastic!

Hall-of-Fame goaltender Ken Dryden retained his seat in Canada's parliament this past Tuesday, which leads me to the following question - are there any other former professional goaltenders running for office this fall? If you know of any, send them to me please!

Let's get to the trivia...

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #13.1:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Name the goaltender who yielded the first goal of the 2008-09 National Hockey League regular season.
CORRECT ANSWER: In the opening game in Prague, "new" New York Ranger Markus Naslund beat Tampa Bay's Mike Smith late in the second period to open the scoring on the year. Smith played well in the game, stopping thirty-nine shots in the 2-1 loss.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the goaltender mask pioneer whose masks have appeared in the movies "Strange Brew" and "Youngblood", and who appeared in person (as a goalie double) in the movie "Net Worth".
CORRECT ANSWER: Brampton native Greg Harrison, who gained early fame with his designs for Gilles Gratton and Gary Simmons in the 1970s. Harrison began creating masks in 1972 due to his disappointment with the small selection of poorly-fitting masks currently on the market.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender may have a poor reputation as a puckstopper, but in his National Hockey League debut, he snapped the (then-)longest undefeated streak in league history. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: On February 25, 1978, Hardy Astrom stopped twenty-nine Montreal Canadiens shots in a 6-3 victory, ending the Canadiens' twenty-eight game (23-0-5) unbeaten streak. Although Don Cherry's broadcasting career took flight on Astrom's wings, perhaps Astrom's nickname should be "The Streaksnapper" - during his short career, he also stopped unbeaten streaks of both the New York Islanders (15 game) and goaltender Pete Peeters (27 games).

year13week01.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: He wasn't in Colorado very long, but Jocelyn Thibault did make the trek from Quebec City to Denver in the summer of 1995. After ten games with the young Avalanche, he was the focal point of the December Patrick Roy trade.

As mentioned in the prelude, there are a lot of high-pointers this week, and many people who just missed the top ten who still put together great weeks!

Code:
[font=courier new]
[B]OCTOBER 2008 TOP TEN:[/B]
1.  Kevin Belobaba          15
    Mark Calandra           15
    Pete Hibbard            15
    Tom Mascioli            15
    Roger Maynard           15
    Bryan McCready          15
    Murphy7                 15
    Mike Pieters            15
    Tom Vinacci             15
    Dave White              15[/font]

Let's see if we can't get things sorted out here in week two!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR THIRTEEN WEEK TWO (Answers due 10pm MST 10/25/08):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: During the 2008-09 season, this goaltender has a good chance to set National Hockey League regular-season career records for games played, victories and shutouts. Name him.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Among the goaltenders whose names do not appear on the Stanley Cup, name the one with the greatest number of victories in the National Hockey League's postseason.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: During the 1980-81 season, this goaltender coach became the first active coach to tend goal in a National Hockey League game since Lester Patrick in 1928. Name him.

year13week02.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
What a fun night last night - fifteen National Hockey League games! I wish that they had spread them out a bit more, and I wish that they had at least one game today, but I can't really complain because the games were great.

How about Cam Ward's fifty-seven save performance? If you missed it, then you'd probably be interested in knowing that he had to stop a Doug Weight penalty shot with one second remaining to preserve the win. And I'm a bit biased, but you should see Peter Budaj's shootout save on Thomas Vanek.

Still no word on any other former goaltenders up for election this fall!

Let's get to the answers for the week - the five-pointer is one of my favourites because part of the story contradicts established goaltender lore. I'll explain more after the answers...

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #13.2:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: During the 2008-09 season, this goaltender has a good chance to set National Hockey League regular-season career records for games played, victories and shutouts. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: New Jersey icon Martin Brodeur, who (as of this writing) stands fifty-three (games), eight (wins) and five (shutouts) behind the league's career marks.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Among the goaltenders whose names do not appear on the Stanley Cup, name the one with the greatest number of victories in the National Hockey League's postseason.
CORRECT ANSWER: Toronto backup Curtis Joseph currently holds a 63-66 mark in the Stanley Cup playoffs, but has not yet even played for the Cup. It could be a longshot for Joseph to snap his streak this season.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: During the 1980-81 season, this goaltender coach became the first active coach to tend goal in a National Hockey League game since Lester Patrick in 1928. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Wayne Thomas was hired to work with the New York Rangers' goaltenders as the start of the 1980-81 season. Unfortunately for the team, by midseason there weren't many goaltenders for Thomas to work with, so Thomas himself stepped between the pipes for ten games.

year13week02.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Pasi Nurminen, the Atlanta prospect who played 125 games for the club before being forced to retire due to a severe knee injury.

The five-pointer was quite interesting to me, mainly because although I knew that Thomas was employed by the Rangers in 1980-81, I also knew that Warren Strelow was the first full-time NHL goaltender coach. Perhaps the key is the word "full-time", although I don't know if Thomas was only a part-time Rangers employee, or if he had other duties which gave him a title other than goaltending coach. If anyone has any relevant thoughts, I'd love to hear what you know!

Kevin, Mark, Roger and Mike share the lead with one week to go - who will it be?
Code:
[font=courier new]
1. Kevin Belobaba          30
   Mark Calandra           30
   Roger Maynard           30
   Mike Pieters            30
5. Tom Mascioli            25
   Bryan McCready          25
   Murphy7                 25
   Tom Vinacci             25
9. Kevin Cameron           20
   Chris Polehoykie        20[/font]

Here's the final week of October - good luck and enjoy!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR THIRTEEN WEEK THREE (Answers due 10pm MST 11/1/08):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Name the goaltender who, this past week, became the tallest goaltender to appear in an National Hockey League game.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: In a single round of the National Hockey League entry draft, what is the greatest number of goaltenders selected?

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: In the final game of their original incarnation, the Ottawa Senators lost. This Senators club was accustomed to losing, but in this game, they lost to their own goaltender. Who was it?

year13week03.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
We finish the first month of the 2008-09, and the first monthly champions are Mark Calandra, Roger Maynard and Mike Pieters. All are past champions, although this is the first for Mike in more than ten years. Wow!

Nearly all of you are history buffs out there - otherwise my ramblings wouldn't hold much interest for you - so I guarantee that you'll like this:

http://hsp.flyershistory.com/

The Hockey Summary Project has been working on this for many years, compiling boxscores of past National Hockey League games. It's a pre-release "beta" version, but it's still amazing. Enjoy!

Best of luck and quick healing to New Jersey's Martin Brodeur, who left the club's game last night with an elbow injury. Brodeur currently stands seven wins behind Patrick Roy's National Hockey League record.

Let's head to the answers last week - as you'll see in the five-point question, I'm still rounding into regular season form myself. Credit Tom Mascioli with the assist!

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #13.3:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Name the goaltender who, this past week, became the tallest goaltender to appear in an National Hockey League game.
CORRECT ANSWER: Towering over the net at six-foot-seven, St. Louis' Ben Bishop entered the game of October 24th after starter Manny Legace injured himself in a pregame carpet mishap. Bishop himself was injured the following night.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: In a single round of the National Hockey League entry draft, what is the greatest number of goaltenders selected?
CORRECT ANSWER: Nine. In the ninth round of the 1994 entry draft, Vitaly Yeremeyev, Frederic Cassivi, Henrik Smangs, Jeremy Jablonski, Tim Thomas, Johan Hedberg, Evgeni Nabokov, Tomas Vokoun, and John Grahame went off of the board. In the fifth round of the 2002 entry draft, clubs selected Joseph Pearce, Robert Gherson, Glenn Fisher, Rob McVicar, Peter Hamerlik, Daniel Manzato, Dov Grumet-Morris, Tyler Weiman and Logan Koopmans. Thomas, Hedberg and Nabokov were selected on three consecutive ninth-round picks!

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: In the final game of their original incarnation, the Ottawa Senators lost. This Senators club was accustomed to losing, but in this game, they lost to their own goaltender. Who was it?
CORRECT ANSWER: When New York Americans' starter Roy Worters was forced from the March 15, 1934 contest in Ottawa, the opposing Senators loaned their backup (and former star) Alex Connell to the Americans. Connell thwarted Bill Beveridge and the Senators the rest of the way.

Special thanks to Tom Mascioli, who correctly notes that although this was Ottawa's final home game, they did play two nights later in Montreal against the Maroons (a 2-2 tie).

year13week03.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Roman Cechmanek blazed across the Philadelphia sky for three seasons of great regular-season hockey in the early 2000s, with his athletic ability and unorthodox technique. Unfortunately for long-suffering Flyers fans, his success didn't translate to playoff victories and he was supplanted by Robert Esche.
Cechmanek is currently playing for Ocelari HC in Trinec of the Czech Republic.

Congratulations to Mark, Roger and Mike, who each navigated all of the landmines for a perfect month. And honourable mention to Tom Mascioli, who technically got a five-pointer right that I didn't get right.
Code:
[font=courier new]
1.  Mark Calandra           45
    Roger Maynard           45
    Mike Pieters            45
4.  Tom Mascioli            40
    Bryan McCready          40
6.  Murphy7                 37
7.  Kevin Belobaba          35
    Kevin Cameron           35
    Chris Polehoykie        35
10. Pete Hibbard            30[/font]

We start November...now!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR THIRTEEN WEEK FOUR (Answers due 10pm MST 11/8/08):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Name the goaltender whose name is spelled five different ways on the Stanley Cup.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: As you may know, the Montreal Canadiens are celebrating their 100th anniversary this season. During the club's 75th anniversary year, the team announced an all-time Montreal team selected in a poll of 20,000 fans. Who was the goaltender on this roster?

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: In late May of 2008, Chris Osgood became the fourth goaltender to record back-to-back shutouts in a Stanley Cup final. Name the other three.

PICTORAL QUESTION: Name both of the following goaltenders:
year13week04.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Congratulations to the fourteen folks who are atop the goaltender trivia pyramid this week!

Part of the reason for the large number of perfect scores is a misstep in the wording of the five-pointer - I gave credit for anyone who answered the question as worded, even though I edited the question in my answers below. Of course, another part of the reason is the large number of quality competitors!

Since last week's trivia, we not only found out about the length of Martin Brodeur's injury (3-4 months), but we've also seen Evgeni Nabokov go on the shelf with a lower-body injury. When was the last time that the reigning top two Vezina Trophy votegetters were both out at the same time due to injury?

Let's get to the answers for last week!

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #13.4:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Name the goaltender whose name is spelled five different ways on the Stanley Cup.
CORRECT ANSWER: Jacques Plante's name appears on the Stanley Cup six times, and he very nearly managed to have his name spelled in a different way each time: J. Plante, Jacques Plante, Jac Plante, Jacq Plante and Jaques Plante.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: As you may know, the Montreal Canadiens are celebrating their 100th anniversary this season. During the club's 75th anniversary year, the team announced an all-time Montreal team selected in a poll of 20,000 fans. Who was the goaltender on this roster?
CORRECT ANSWER: It's Jacques Plante week on goalie trivia! The blueliners were Doug Harvey and Larry Robinson, and the forwards were centre Jean Beliveau, left wing Dicky Moore and right wing Maurice Richard.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: In late May of 2008, Chris Osgood became the fourth goaltender to record back-to-back shutouts to start a Stanley Cup final. Name the other three.
CORRECT ANSWER: Note that I reworded the question above as I had originally intended for it to appear. Clint Benedict (1926), Frank McCool (1945) and Martin Brodeur (2003) are the three who preceded Osgood in this category; of course, Frank McCool didn't allow a goal in the first three games of Toronto's 1945 Cup victory.

PICTORAL QUESTION: Name both of the following goaltenders:
year13week04.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: From their 1997 playoff series, this is Buffalo's Steve Shields and Philadelphia's Garth Snow.

A lot of co-leaders after the first week in November!
Code:
[font=courier new]
NOVEMBER 2008 TOP FOURTEEN:
1. Kevin Belobaba          15
   Gary Burrows            15
   Kevin Cameron           15
   Jeff Diamond            15
   Scott Hitchcox          15
   Jason Kurylo            15
   Bryan McCready          15
   Murphy                  15
   Chris Polehoykie        15[/font]

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR THIRTEEN WEEK FIVE (Answers due 10pm MST 11/15/08):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: If general manager Eddie Johnston had not been overruled by team ownership in March of 1988, this top goaltender would have been a Pittsburgh Penguin. Name him.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the current National Hockey League goaltender coach who spent parts of fifteen seasons in the big leagues before finally deciding to retire when his teammates were asking for permission to date his daughter.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Name the only current National Hockey League goaltender whose goaltender father was selected in the league's amateur/entry draft.

PICTORAL QUESTION: Name the following goaltender, who looks like he's about to devour Calgary forward Chris Clark:
year13week05.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Sixty-five degrees on a Denver Sunday in mid-November, so I'm going to keep this short. There's hiking to be done before my hockey game tonight!

Some fun questions this past week - more behind the scenes kind of things, human interest stuff. One of the reasons I started the page was to collect this sort of thing to give a better picture of the goalies as athletes and people. So I'm always excited to uncover things like this.

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #13.5:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: If general manager Eddie Johnston had not been overruled by team ownership in March of 1988, this top goaltender would have been a Pittsburgh Penguin. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Eddie DeBartolo, Jr. vetoed the trade which would have sent Steve Guenette and the Penguins' 1988 first-rounder to the Edmonton Oilers. Coming the other way would have been Andy Moog, who was holding out from the Oilers at the time. Moog would be traded to the Boston Bruins later in the month, helping his new club get to the Stanley Cup Finals against...the Oilers.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the current National Hockey League goaltender coach who spent parts of fifteen seasons in the big leagues before finally deciding to retire when his teammates were asking for permission to date his daughter.
CORRECT ANSWER: Current Philadelphia coach Reggie Lemelin, whose comment was largely in jest (he retired in order to avoid a demotion to the minor leagues). Daughter Stephanie is now an actress of some note, and may be best known for her role in the commercial-spinoff sitcom "Cavemen". Her IMDB biography lists her as a Flyers fan.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Name the only current National Hockey League goaltender whose goaltender father was selected in the league's amateur/entry draft.
CORRECT ANSWER: Brent Johnson is the obvious answer to this question; however, father Bob entered the league as a free agent signing. So who was it? Portland Winter Hawks' netminder Jerry Price was an eighth-round pick of the Philadephia Flyers in 1978, twenty-seven years before his son Carey was chosen as the fifth overall pick by the Canadiens. The elder Price played professionally until 1982-83.

PICTORAL QUESTION: Name the following goaltender, who looks like he's about to devour Calgary forward Chris Clark:
year13week05.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Alex Auld may not have been drafted by the Vancouver Canucks, but he did spend his first five professional seasons with the club before being dealt to Florida in the Roberto Luongo deal. This photo is from January 3, 2004, when Auld had 31 saves in a 3-1 victory at the Saddledome.

The undefeated list is reduced to five! There's still plenty of time left - and plenty of tricky questions to go.

Code:
[font=courier new]
[B]NOVEMBER 2008 TOP FOURTEEN:[/B]
1.  Scott Hitchcox          30
    Tom Mascioli            30
    Bryan McCready          30
6.  Kevin Belobaba          25
    Mark Calandra           25
    Kevin Cameron           25
9.  Jason Kurylo            23
10. Bob Hillis              18[/font]

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR THIRTEEN WEEK SIX (Answers due 10pm MST 11/22/08):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Name the only player in National Hockey League history to face penalty shots from the same player in the same game.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Which goaltender holds the dubious distinction of having the highest regular-season goals-against average in National Hockey League history?

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: The 1954 Soviet Union hockey team stunned the competition by rolling to its first-ever gold medal at the IIHF World Championships in Sweden with a 7-2 victory over Canada's representative in the title game. The following year, Canada would regain its gold medal form with a 5-0 win over the Soviets. Who was the goaltender of the 1955 world champion Canadian squad?

year13week06.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
And another goaltender goes down to an injury - as I write this, we are awaiting an announcement from the Vancouver Canucks regarding the severity of Roberto Luongo's groin injury. Luongo joins Martin Brodeur, Marc-Andre Fleury and Evgeni Nabokov on the shelf.

I actually like to see a bit of the shakeups in net - not that I'd ever wish an injury on any goaltender. But it does add a sense of mystery and intrigue to the sport, because people get put into roles which we haven't expected from them in the past. Look at how Brian Boucher has performed in San Jose the past few weeks, and now we're finally going to get to see what Cory Schneider can do in Vancouver. On the other hand, I would like to see Brodeur continue his march on Patrick Roy's records. Speaking of...

Patrick Roy had his sweater number thirty-three retired last night in Montreal, and I thought that they did a great job with the whole thing. Of course Patrick's had a big influence on my life as a goaltender, given that I live in Denver, but the ceremony was a reminder of just how much he influenced netminders in the providence of Quebec and beyond. He's a polarizing individual - I know that a few of you can't stand him - but he was fun to watch and had a fantastic career.

Let's get to last week's trivia!

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #13.6:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Name the only player in National Hockey League history to face penalty shots from the same player in the same game.
CORRECT ANSWER: Carolina's Erik Cole faced Sabre goaltender Martin Biron twice on November 9, 2005, scoring on the first attempt but being stopped on the second. Carolina would win the game by a 5-3 margin, sealing the victory with an empty-net goal.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Which goaltender holds the dubious distinction of having the highest regular-season goals-against average in National Hockey League history?
CORRECT ANSWER: Ignoring skaters who took a turn in net, this honour is presently held by Philadelphia Flyer prospect Martin Houle, who sports a 27.27 goals-against average after allowing one goal in 132 seconds of action. The 23-year-old is currently playing for the ECHL's Cincinnati Cyclones.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: The 1954 Soviet Union hockey team stunned the competition by rolling to its first-ever gold medal at the IIHF World Championships in Sweden with a 7-2 victory over Canada's representative in the title game. The following year, Canada would regain its gold medal form with a 5-0 win over the Soviets. Who was the goaltender of the 1955 world champion Canadian squad?
CORRECT ANSWER: Ivan McLelland and the Penticton Vees represented Canada at the 1955 Worlds. Here's a nice article and interview with McLelland which focuses primarily on the tournament:

When Penticton Ruled The World

year13week06.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Dominik Hasek isn't the only Senator to wear the helmet-and-cage combination in the Ottawa net. This is Martin Prusek, who paired ably with Patrick Lalime for three seasons before moving on to Columbus after the 2004-05 lockout.

Tom, Roger, Bryan and Mike hold down the top spot, but it's still anyone's race with a week to go!

Code:
[font=courier new]
NOVEMBER 2008 TOP TEN:
1.  Tom Mascioli            45
    Bryan McCready          45
5.  Scott Hitchcox          42
6.  Mark Calandra           40
    Kevin Cameron           40
8.  Jason Kurylo            38
9.  Kevin Belobaba          32
10. Pete Hibbard            30[/font]

I'll be offline for awhile this week due to American Thanksgiving, so this will be a two-week trivia to end the month of December. Enjoy!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR THIRTEEN WEEK SEVEN (Answers due 10pm MST 12/6/08):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: As of last night, Patrick Roy has not had his sweater number retired by two National Hockey League franchises. Aside from Roy, how many goaltenders have had this honour bestowed upon them by two (or more) NHL franchises?

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name both goaltenders to win a Stanley Cup playoff series after their club trailed by a three games to zero margin.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: During the 1961-62 season, this future National Hockey League goaltender would frequently join his teammates on a delayed penalty in an attempt to score. However, his dreams of scoring a goal were dashed when he was knocked unconscious by a bodycheck at the opposing blue line. Name him.

year13week07.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Congratulations to the "Three Ms" - Tom Mascioli, Roger Maynard, and Bryan McCready - who navigated all of the questions successfully in November for perfect months!

Richard Brodeur. Goaltender. Vancouver icon. Painter? It's true! Check out his work at http://www.richardbrodeur.com

Work has slowed progress on the website, and I'm now hoping to have all of the architecture up by the end of the 2008-09 season. In the meantime, I'll be updating the statistics for a lot of goaltenders "manually" since last year's regular season stats haven't been put up yet (as I was hoping to have them included with the new process). Keep your eyes peeled!

Let's get to the answers - there were some tough ones this week, including the five-pointer, which may have been caused by some Hockey Night in Canada footage seen weekly by a lot of GT readers...

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #13.7:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: As of last night, Patrick Roy has not had his sweater number retired by two National Hockey League franchises. Aside from Roy, how many goaltenders have had this honour bestowed upon them by two (or more) NHL franchises?
CORRECT ANSWER: Patrick Roy is the only goaltender netminder to have his number retired by two National Hockey League franchises. He joins Bobby Hull, Gordie Howe, Wayne Gretzky, Ray Bourque and Mark Messier. Somewhat surprising (at least to many who answered this question), Glenn Hall has not had his number retired by the St. Louis Blues.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name both goaltenders to win a Stanley Cup playoff series after their club trailed by a three games to zero margin.
CORRECT ANSWER: Toronto's Turk Broda (1942) and the Islanders' Chico Resch (1975). Resch came to the rescue of another goaltender you may have heard of, Billy Smith.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: During the 1961-62 season, this future National Hockey League goaltender would frequently join his teammates on a delayed penalty in an attempt to score. However, his dreams of scoring a goal were dashed when he was knocked unconscious by a bodycheck at the opposing blue line. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Cesare Maniago. Playing for Hull-Ottawa in the EPHL, Maniago was knocked out by the devastating check of a Kitchener-Waterloo opponent.

year13week07.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Charlie Hodge, in his only season with the Western Hockey League's Seattle Americans. Hodge ultimately spent parts of thirteen seasons in the big leagues, first with Montreal and then being claimed in consecutive expansion drafts (Oakland 1967, Vancouver 1970).

Although Tom, Roger and Bryan get top honours with perfect months, there were some impressively-high scores in November, including many who didn't even make the leader board. Congratulations to you all!

Code:
[font=courier new]
NOVEMBER 2008 TOP TEN:
1.  Tom Mascioli            60
    Roger Maynard           60
    Bryan McCready          60
4.  Mike Pieters            55
5.  Jason Kurylo            53
6.  Kevin Cameron           50
7.  Mark Calandra           45
8.  Scott Hitchcox          42
9.  Pete Hibbard            40
10. Kevin Belobaba          37[/font]

Since I'll be travelling on consecutive Sundays this month, there may be a week (or both) in late December where I'm unable to trivia. So, as is customary in Goaltender Trivia, I'm combining the months of December and January to create a "supermonth". And hopefully it will be a super month in more than just name!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR THIRTEEN WEEK EIGHT (Answers due 10pm MST12/13/08):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender has a pretty good chance to play in the National Hockey League's winter classic this season; doing so would mark him uniquely as the only player to appear in all three such events in the league's history. Name him.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: As the club's emergency goaltender, Nashville defenseman Jamie Allison dressed as the team's backup in December of 2005 after an injury to starter Chris Mason. Fortunately (for Allison), he didn't have to enter the game. Name the last non-goaltender to play goal in a National Hockey League contest.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: In a most unusual circumstance during the 1972-73 World Hockey Association season, Los Angeles' Alton White scored a hat trick while being credited with only two shots on goal for the game. Who was the goaltender victimized?

year13week08.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Wow - tough day for me last Sunday. First I give away the answer to the initial five-pointer, then my mail server bounces about half of my "addendum" e-mails. Because of the number of recipients of GT, I send out the trivia in blocks of about one hundred e-mails at a time so that things get delivered more smoothly. Well, it certainly didn't go smoothly last week! Heh. My apologies for the repeated snafus.

You've certainly heard the story of Washington Capitals' web producer Brett Leonhardt, who on Friday joined the rich history of the National Hockey League. With Jose Theodore out with a hip flexor injury, Brent Johnson started in net for the Capitals against Ottawa.

Unfortunately for the Capitals, their top farm club was in San Antonio the night before, which meant that it would be tough to get either Simeon Varlamov or Daren Machesney recalled in time for the game. The Caps recalled Varlamov, but they knew that it would be tough to get him to the Verizon Center in time. So...enter six-foot-seven Leonhardt, the former Neumann College goaltender (NCAA Div. III) who had practiced with the team on occasion.

All went well for the Caps, who saw Varlamov arrive in time to assume the backup spot ten minutes into the first period. Meanwhile, Johnson was stellar in a 5-1 win over the Senators.

Let's get to the trivia answers - some were quite tough!

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #13.8:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender has a pretty good chance to play in the National Hockey League's winter classic this season; doing so would mark him uniquely as the only player to appear in all three such events in the league's history. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: He played for the Edmonton Oilers in 2003, and he played for the Pittsburgh Penguins on New Year's Day 2008. And Ty Conklin is playing well enough for the Detroit Red Wings that we could see him at Wrigley Field in this year's Winter Classic. A great story from a man whom many thought had worked his way out of the NHL a few seasons ago.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: As the club's emergency goaltender, Nashville defenseman Jamie Allison dressed as the team's backup in December of 2005 after an injury to starter Chris Mason. Fortunately (for Allison), he didn't have to enter the game. Name the last non-goaltender to play goal in a National Hockey League contest.
CORRECT ANSWER: On October 16, 1960, Boston Bruins wing Jerry Toppazzini replaced an injured Don Simmons in the final period of a 5-2 loss to the Black Hawks. Toppazzini played one minute (officially) and did not allow a goal.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: In a most unusual circumstance during the 1972-73 World Hockey Association season, Los Angeles' Alton White scored a hat trick while being credited with only two shots on goal for the game. Who was the goaltender victimized?
CORRECT ANSWER: Jack McCartan, best known as the gold-medal winning netminder at the 1960 Winter Olympics, who was back playing for his hometown Minnesota Fighting Saints after a long and distinguished minor league career. White's first two goals were of the traditional variety. Late in the game, with Los Angeles holding a 3-2 lead and McCartan pulled for an extra attacker, White's breakaway was thwarted when an unidentified Saints player threw a stick onto the ice in White's path. White was correctly awarded the goal, his 21st of the season.

year13week08.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: One of the more interesting goaltenders of the 1970s (a decade which featured many interesting goaltenders), Al Smith spent five seasons with the New England Whalers of the World Hockey Association. This photo was taken during the 1973-74 season, a year in which Smith played in the second of his three WHA All-Star Games.

Tough questions last week and it shows in the scores...
Code:
[font=courier new]
DECEMBER 2008/JANUARY 2009 TOP TEN:
1. Tom Mascioli            15
4. Kevin Belobaba          10
   Mark Calandra           10
   Kevin Cameron           10
   Bryan McCready          10
8. Jeff Diamond            7
   Ken Ellis               7
   Scott Hitchcox          7[/font]

First the bad news - I'll be spending much of the next two Sundays in airports, which is good for the airport food courts but not so good for trivia maintenance. So as I hinted last week, this "week" will cover a three-week period. Now the good news - I'm doubling the number of questions this week! So the standings could change quite a bit between now and January 4.

Also, since I won't talk with many of you until after then, I'd like to wish you a happy holidays (whichever you choose to celebrate) and a happy new year! I'm already looking forward to the Wrigley Field game on January 1.

Thanks to Jason Kurylo for the idea behind the second three-pointer this week! Remember that I'm always looking for good questions, or even good ideas for questions.

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR THIRTEEN WEEK NINE (Answers due 10pm MST 01/03/09):

TWO-POINT QUESTION A: It was somewhat of a surprise this past April to see the great Dominik Hasek struggle in the playoffs, and to ultimately be replaced by Chris Osgood. Prior to Osgood, name the last goaltender to replace Hasek in a Stanley Cup playoff game.

TWO-POINT QUESTION B: The venerable combination of Glenn Hall and Jacques Plante patrolled the nets of St. Louis for nearly two seasons after general manager Scotty Bowman pulled the latter goaltender out of retirement. The Plante signing was made necessary when another Blues goaltender had to choose between playing in the National Hockey League and keeping his firefighter's pension. Name him.

THREE-POINT QUESTION A: When Simeon Varlamov replaced Brett Leonhardt on the Washington bench this past Friday, the Capitals became the most recent National Hockey League club to dress three goaltenders in the same game. The Capitals franchise is also the most recent NHL club to not only dress, but play three goaltenders in the same game. Name the goaltenders involved.

THREE-POINT QUESTION B: There is a small fraternity of men who have tended goal in both the National Hockey League and the World Hockey Association. Name the goaltender who is barely in this group, having played exactly one game in each league.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION A: Which team(s) hold the single-season National Hockey League record for the greatest number of goaltenders to record a regular season shutout?

FIVE-POINT QUESTION B: Counting backwards from today, which National Hockey League franchise has gone the longest without having one of their drafted goaltenders appear in one of their own games?

PICTORAL QUESTION A: Name the following goaltender:
year13week09-1.jpg

PICTORAL QUESTION B: Name the following goaltender:
year13week09-2.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Apologies for the delay this week - I had two hockey games of my own in which to participate today, and I just returned from the latter.

I hope that you all had a happy holidays and New Years celebrations!

I'll keep the prelude short this week since you've got a lot of reading to do with last week's answers. I did a lot of additional writing on these because there was (quite frankly) a lot to say. So let's get to them now...

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #13.9:

TWO-POINT QUESTION A: It was somewhat of a surprise this past April to see the great Dominik Hasek struggle in the playoffs, and to ultimately be replaced by Chris Osgood. Prior to Osgood, name the last goaltender to replace Hasek in a Stanley Cup playoff game.
CORRECT ANSWER: On May 7, 2002, Hasek was pulled after allowing five St. Louis goals on sixteen shots in an eventual 6-1 Blues victory. Current Blue Manny Legace finished out the game for the Red Wings, who went on to win the Stanley Cup (as they did in 2008).

Prior to this, you have to go all the way back to 1999 (Dwayne Roloson) to find a playoff sub for Hasek.

TWO-POINT QUESTION B: The venerable combination of Glenn Hall and Jacques Plante patrolled the nets of St. Louis for nearly two seasons after general manager Scotty Bowman pulled the latter goaltender out of retirement. The Plante signing was made necessary when another Blues goaltender had to choose between playing in the National Hockey League and keeping his firefighter's pension. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: One of the more underrated goaltenders of the 1960s (although certainly not by Europeans), Seth Martin passed on NHL fame and returned to his hometown of Trail, British Columbia in 1968.

THREE-POINT QUESTION A: When Simeon Varlamov replaced Brett Leonhardt on the Washington bench this past Friday, the Capitals became the most recent National Hockey League club to dress three goaltenders in the same game. The Capitals franchise is also the most recent NHL club to not only dress, but play three goaltenders in the same game. Name the goaltenders involved.
CORRECT ANSWER: I asked this question from a different angle a few years ago, and it's always been one of my favourites. On May 16, 1995, the Washington Capitals had a chance to close out their conference quarterfinal series against Pittsburgh, but starter Jim Carey had trouble with the Penguin offense. Olaf Kolzig replaced him, but was forced from the nets due to torn cartilage in his right knee.

Carey returned, and in the meantime Byron Dafoe began to dress in the Capital dressing room. At some point during the second intermission, Carey was himself "injured" and Dafoe played the final period. For all of these machinations, Washington still lost the game by a 7-1 margin, and would fall to the Penguins in seven games.

THREE-POINT QUESTION B: There is a small fraternity of men who have tended goal in both the National Hockey League and the World Hockey Association. Name the goaltender who is barely in this group, having played exactly one game in each league.
CORRECT ANSWER: One of my favourite hockey names, Ted Ouimet played in one game for the St. Louis Blues in 1968-69 (allowing just two goals but still losing). Six seasons later, Ted saw action with the New England Whalers, allowing three goals in a single period. The last I heard, Ted was coaching in the Ontario Hockey Association.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION A: Which team(s) hold the single-season National Hockey League record for the greatest number of goaltenders to record a regular season shutout?
CORRECT ANSWER: The 2002-03 St. Louis Blues had five separate goalies with shutouts. In order: Fred Brathwaite (October 30), Tom Barrasso (November 16), Brent Johnson (December 14), Chris Osgood (December 28) and Curtis Sanford (March 1). Reinhard Divis and Cody Rudkowsky also played for the Blues this season but didn't get in on the fun.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION B: Counting backwards from today, which National Hockey League franchise has gone the longest without having one of their drafted goaltenders appear in one of their own games?
CORRECT ANSWER: On November 18, 2006, Mikael Tellqvist and the Toronto Maple Leafs fell to New Jersey by a 2-1 margin. Since that date, Toronto has relied on otherwise-acquired talent to man the Maple Leaf nets, including Andrew Raycroft, Jean-Sebastien Aubin, Vesa Toskala, Scott Clemmensen and Curtis Joseph.

On December 22nd, and after the asking of this question, Toronto draftee Justin Pogge played - and played well - for the Leafs. If I were to ask the question today, the correct answer would be Tellqvist's current team, the Phoenix Coyotes.

The Florida Panthers present an interesting question - as stated, they are not the answer to the question. However, Alex Auld is the reason that they aren't the answer, and although he was drafted by the Panthers, he spent five seasons in the Vancouver organization before returning to Florida to play a game. A fun game for when you have time - other than Auld, who's the last Florida draftee to play in net for Florida?

PICTORAL QUESTION A: Name the following goaltender:
year13week09-1.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: In a classic Patrick Division showdown, this is the New York Rangers' John Vanbiesbrouck holding down the fort against Craig Laughlin and the Washington Capitals.

PICTORAL QUESTION B: Name the following goaltender:
year13week09-2.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: At the end of the 1972-73 season, Jacques Plante played ten games for the Boston Bruins, wearing the mask which is now more associated with his protege (and fellow Bruin alum), Bernie Parent.

Tom and Roger hold down the fort with perfect scores after three sets of trivia!
Code:
[font=courier new]
1.  Tom Mascioli            45
3.  Kevin Cameron           35
    Bryan McCready          35
    Mike Pieters            35
6.  Kevin Belobaba          27
7.  Mark Calandra           25
    Ken Ellis               25
9.  David Walters           22
10. Brocklr                 20[/font]

The asterisk on the five-point question to come is because it would be difficult to ensure with 100 percent certainty that a pair of goaltenders haven't both scored in the same game at any significant level. If you *know* of this happening prior to this season, I would love to hear from you - and I speak on behalf of hockey historians worldwide.

Speaking of which, thanks to Mike Taylor for bringing this event to my attention in the first place!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR THIRTEEN WEEK TEN (Answers due 10pm MST 01/10/09):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: The logo on this goaltender's iconic mask - which he has worn in every National Hockey League campaign until the current one - is similar but not identical to his club's logo, because he initially did not know if he would make the team in his rookie year or be demoted to the American Hockey League. Name him.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the Hall-of-Fame goaltender who also holds the American Hockey League's record for the longest shutout streak in regular season play.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: This season in the Canadian Hockey League, two goaltenders scored goals on the same evening - the first time that this has happened in the same league at the professional, collegiate or major junior level(*). Name the netminders.

year13week10.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Let's see if I can get through a week without misstating a trivia question...sigh...

The lineups have been announced for the National Hockey League's 57th all-star game on January 25th in Montreal, and there's a connection with both of the starters. For the East, it will be the home team's goaltender Carey Price, while for the West, it will be Montreal native Jean-Sebastien Giguere. Reserves are Henrik Lundqvist, Tim Thomas, Niklas Backstrom and Roberto Luongo, although it's likely that the latter will be replaced due to injury.

Can Steve Mason make the push to the Calder Trophy despite not joining the club until November? Goalies rarely win the top rookie honours - the last to do so were are also the reigning top two Vezina vote getters - Martin Brodeur (1994) and Evgeni Nabokov (2001). That's some pretty good company.

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #13.10:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: The logo on this goaltender's iconic mask - which he has worn in every National Hockey League campaign until the current one - is similar but not identical to his club's logo, because he initially did not know if he would make the team in his rookie year or be demoted to the American Hockey League. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Skating with half of a Utica Devils' logo on his helmet, Martin Brodeur made the parent club in the fall of 1993 and has remained in New Jersey ever since. Starting this past fall, Brodeur has been wearing a mask with his logo "MB30" on it (for more on Brodeur's new logo, visit http://www.martinbrodeur30.com/). Is it coincidence that the league's most durable goaltender suffered his first major injury this year?

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the Hall-of-Fame goaltender who also holds the American Hockey League's record for the longest shutout streak in regular season play.
CORRECT ANSWER: Biding his time in the minors (as the Rangers were content with Gump Worsley), Johnny Bower put together a goalless streak of 249:51 for the Providence Reds in the AHL. He would spend one more year in the minors before spending the next decade-plus in Toronto.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: This season in the Canadian Hockey League, two goaltenders scored goals on the same evening - the first time that this has happened in a game at the professional, collegiate or major junior level. Name the netminders.
CORRECT ANSWER: On December 6, 2008, Lewiston's Peter Delmas and Rimouski's Maxim Gougeon both tallied for their QMJHL clubs. Delmas was credited after a puck was deflected into an empty net on a delayed penalty, while Gougeon's was scored the old-fashioned way.

year13week10.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: On October 7, 2005, this is Cam Ward stopping Mario Lemieux of the Pittsburgh Penguins. On this evening, Ward would record his first National Hockey League victory.

Tom and Roger still have their perfect months going with three weeks to go - can they do it?

Code:
[font=courier new]
1.  Tom Mascioli            60
    Roger Maynard           60
3.  Kevin Cameron           50
    Bryan McCready          50
    Mike Pieters            50
6.  Kevin Belobaba          37
7.  Ken Ellis               35
8.  Mark Calandra           30
9.  Jeff Diamond            29
10. David Walters           27[/font]

Some interesting questions this week - a combination of firsts and lasts! Except for the picture - I'm not sure how the picture links to the other questions. Well, it's too late to change it now!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR THIRTEEN WEEK ELEVEN (Answers due 10pm MST 01/17/09):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: It is a rare double-double to accomplish in the National Hockey League: seeing the greatest number of shots and simultaneously having the highest save percentage. Name the last goaltender to accomplish this in the regular season.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the first National Hockey League goaltender to be credited with a loss and a shutout in the same contest.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender was the first to win the coveted Memorial Cup trophy, the top team honour in Canadian junior hockey. Name him.

year13week11.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
So I have a confession to make - Andrew Raycroft did win the Calder Trophy.

In last week's mailing, I suggested that Brodeur and Nabokov were the last two netminders to take home the NHL's rookie hardware. And I actually woke up one day this week thinking, "did I really say that?" Checking my page's list of Calder winning-goaltenders, I was relieved to see that it included Raycroft. And of course, Raycroft is the present-day goaltender on my hometown club's roster.

Ah, the strange trails travelled by Wade Dubielewicz. Leaving for the Russian KHL after the New York Islanders lowballed him on a contract extension, he returned to the club this week after injuries to Rick DiPietro and Joey MacDonald had forced the team's hand.

You could sell that story to Reader's Digest, but for only half price - because that's only half the story. Dubielewicz had to clear waivers first! And on Saturday while Doobie prepared to face the New Jersey Devils, he was being claimed by the Columbus Blue Jackets, where he will back up Steve Mason.

Let's get to the answers this week...

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #13.11:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: It is a rare double-double to accomplish in the National Hockey League: seeing the greatest number of shots and simultaneously having the highest save percentage. Name the last goaltender to accomplish this in the regular season.
CORRECT ANSWER: A few have come close since, but in 1997-98, Buffalo's Dominik Hasek stopped 93.2% of 2149 shots faced. Hasek also captured the gold medal for the Czech Republic and led his Sabres to the Eastern Conference Finals.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the first National Hockey League goaltender to be credited with a loss and a shutout in the same contest.
CORRECT ANSWER: On December 6, 2005, Calgary's Miikka Kiprusoff stopped all thirty-seven shots against the Philadelphia Flyers. At the same time, his counterpart Antero Niittymaki stopped all twenty-eight Flame shots. Mike Richards' shootout goal would prove to be the only tally of the night, sending Kipper home with the loss.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender was the first to win the coveted Memorial Cup trophy, the top team honour in Canadian junior hockey. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Joe Sullivan backstopped the University of Toronto Schools to the first Memorial Cup title in 1919. Sullivan would go on to win the Olympic gold medal in 1928 (not allowing a single goal), start a successful medical career as an otolaryngologist, and served in the Senate of Canada for twenty-eight years. Each year, the most outstanding hockey player in Canadian Interuniversity Sport is awarded the Senator Joseph A. Sullivan Trophy.

year13week11.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Michigan State product Bob Essensa played six years with the club who drafted him, the Winnipeg Jets. During this campaign, the 1991-92 season, Essensa had his best statistical year, with a 91.0% save percentage, 2.88 goals-against average and 21 victories. Essensa has been the Boston Bruins' goaltender coach since September of 2003.

Tom and Roger have two weeks remaining to achieve perfection in this overly-long "month", but the field is very strong as well.

Code:
[font=courier new]
1.  Tom Mascioli            75
    Roger Maynard           75
3.  Bryan McCready          65
    Mike Pieters            65
5.  Kevin Cameron           60
6.  Mark Calandra           43
7.  Kevin Belobaba          37
8.  Ken Ellis               35
9.  David Walters           32
10. Jeff Diamond            29[/font]

The two-pointer is inspired by Wade Dubielewicz's waiver wire journey, and a reminder that it could always be worse...enjoy!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR THIRTEEN WEEK TWELVE (Answers due 10pm MST 01/24/09):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: During a fifteen-day span in 2005-06, this goaltender was claimed off of waivers by three separate organizations, finally ending up with his original team. name him.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Before becoming a National Hockey League goaltender, Michel Dion nearly had a career as a professional baseball player. However, he decided to return to junior hockey when the team holding his rights drafted a future Hall-of-Famer at his position. Name the player who pushed Dion into his eventual NHL career.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: In January of 1982, this National Hockey League goaltender had his mask stolen from his locker. Playing that evening with a birdcage-style helmet, he proceeded to record his first shutout of the season. Name him.

year13week12.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Sitting here watching "A View To A Kill" while waiting for the National Hockey League's All-Star Game. I've always been a fan of the annual contest even if they do leave the goaltenders out to dry. I still remember Richter's performance at the 1994 game - a prelude to a Cup? Let's hope that the netminders today put on a show for the ages.

Goalies get hit in the head more! That much should be obvious with the increased emphasis on the butterfly style in recent years. But I never knew how much more until I decided to get a new goal mask - which I'll be getting painted. The problem is that my current mask has yet to be painted, so two weeks ago I decided to do a tribute to Gerry Cheevers and start "stitching" my mask. Well, in six games I already have eleven sets of stitches on my cage - two from being broadsided by a teammate's stick.

I'm also looking for mask painter recommendations as I haven't settled on anyone just yet.

On to the answers for week twelve, which included a very tough five-pointer. Two people did get it correct, however!

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #13.12:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: During a fifteen-day span in 2005-06, this goaltender was claimed off of waivers by three separate organizations, finally ending up with his original team. name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: With Nikolai Khabibulin set to return from injury and Adam Munro playing well, the Chicago Blackhawks decided to send Craig Anderson to the minor leagues. He had to pass through waivers, though, and the Boston Bruins claimed the 24-year-old to replace both Hannu Toivonen and Andrew Raycroft, each out with injuries.

By the time Raycroft was ready to return, Anderson had not yet seen the ice, and he was claimed on January 30 by the St. Louis Blues. Anderson was once more passed through waivers by the Blues. And guess who claimed Anderson on February 3rd? The Blackhawks, who had seen starter Khabibulin suffer yet another injury. Anderson remained a Blackhawk until that summer - when was traded to Florida.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Before becoming a National Hockey League goaltender, Michel Dion nearly had a career as a professional baseball player. However, he decided to return to junior hockey when the team holding his rights drafted a future Hall-of-Famer at his position. Name the player who pushed Dion into his eventual NHL career.
CORRECT ANSWER: Dion's youthful aspirations were that of a catcher for the Montreal Expos, the professional baseball team who signed the youngster in 1971. The following summer, the club drafted Gary Carter and Dion sat the bench behind Carter in West Palm Beach that year before returning to his hockey career in Granby. He did learn the sport of golf in Florida, and is now a top golf instructor.

After his retirement, Dion claimed that his biggest thrill in hockey came with the Nordiques, when he played his first game at the Montreal Forum. Leaving the ice, he heard someone call out "Thatta way to go, Michel", and it was Carter. "That made the night even more special, since it was a compliment from an old baseball teammate."

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: In January of 1982, this National Hockey League goaltender had his mask stolen from his locker. Playing that evening with a birdcage-style helmet, he proceeded to record his first shutout of the season. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Against the Washington Capitals on January 20, 1982, Doug Soetaert notched a 3-0 victory with the spare helmet. Goaltenders are noted for their superstitious natures, so did Soetaert switch permanently? "I still want my mask back. I have to be realistic - it wasn't the cage that did anything tonight." The win was also the first win for Winnipeg over the Capitals since the entered the NHL in 1979-80.

year13week12.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Richard Sevigny was one of the successors in the Montreal net after the retirement of Ken Dryden, serving parts of five seasons with the Canadiens. His best year wit the club was also his first full campaign, when he went 20-4-3 with a 2.40 goals-against average, sharing the Vezina Trophy with Denis Herron and Bunny Larcoque.

Still a tie atop the leader board! Neither Tom nor Roger gained the elusive five-pointer this week, which means that the deadlock has been preserved for one final question set.
Code:
[font=courier new]
1.  Tom Mascioli            85
    Roger Maynard           85
3.  Bryan McCready          75
    Mike Pieters            75
5.  Kevin Cameron           68
6.  Mark Calandra           58
7.  Pete Hibbard            40
8.  Kevin Belobaba          37
9.  Ken Ellis               35
10. David Walters           34[/font]

And here's the final question set of December/January!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR THIRTEEN WEEK THIRTEEN (Answers due 10pm MST 01/31/09):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Name the goaltender who was the only player selected by the New York Islanders in their 1972 expansion draft who was still with the club at the time of their first Stanley Cup championship.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: From the start of a National Hockey League career, who holds the record for the greatest number of consecutive decisions without a loss?

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Name the goaltenders used the first time a National Hockey League club used three netminders in the same regular season contest.

year13week13.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
One of the battles for the ages, and Roger Maynard ekes out a tight two-point win over Tom Mascioli to capture the December/January title. Congratulations to Roger!

Sitting here waiting for the start of the Super Bowl, and I'm wondering whether or not there are more people in the stands, or more people in the NBC broadcast booth.

As for last weekend's All-Star Game...at least it was an exciting game.

I'm not sure that I've mentioned it previously - actually I'm sure that I have - but the Hockey Summary Project is really taking off lately, with a lot of materials online at this point. For example:

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/poboxscore.cgi?H19650207

Contains the answer to this week's five-point question. This will sound like a bit of a telethon, but there's a lot of overlap between goalie history fans and the people on this project, so if you think that you may be interested in participating, please either contact them directly, or let me know and I can lead you to the right folks.

I'll be on the road for business next weekend, so the set #14 will have a two-week deadline for completion. But before we talk about those, we need to look at last week's answers...I did mis-state what I was hoping to have as the three-pointer, so that will show up in a later edition. You can try and guess what I was trying for and get a head start if you'd like!

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #13.13:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Name the goaltender who was the only player selected by the New York Islanders in their 1972 expansion draft who was still with the club at the time of their first Stanley Cup championship.
CORRECT ANSWER: Billy Smith wasn't just "with" the club at the time of the Islanders' first Stanley Cup, he was an integral part, backstopping the club to four consecutive titles from 1980 to 1983. Smith finally retired in 1989, seventeen years after the Islanders picked him up.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: From the start of a National Hockey League career, who holds the record for the greatest number of consecutive decisions without a loss?
CORRECT ANSWER: Patrick Lalime stepped in for an injured Tom Barrasso in the fall of 1996 and proceeded to rip off a 14-0-2 streak including three shutouts. Lalime finally lost in an overtime game against the Colorado Avalanche and Craig Billington (after Patrick Roy left with a sprained thumb).

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Name the goaltenders used the first time a National Hockey League club used three netminders in the same regular season contest.
CORRECT ANSWER: On April 2, 1966, the Toronto Maple Leafs used three goaltenders in a 3-3 tie against the visiting New York Rangers. Each of Johnny Bower, Terry Sawchuk and Bruce Gamble played one period and allowed one goal (there was no regular season overtime in 1965-66).

year13week13.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Peter McDuffe made four stops in the National Hockey League (and one in the World Hockey Association), but he spent the majority of his professional career toiling for the expansion Kansas City Scouts in 1974-75. McDuffe led the club in victories with seven.

I congratulated Roger above, but here I'd like to congratulate the entire field for a competition well staged. And there are a few people who started late and finished out of the top ten, but based on their surges, I expect to see them on the list this time!

Code:
[font=courier new]
1.  Roger Maynard           97
2.  Tom Mascioli            95
3.  Mike Pieters            85
4.  Kevin Cameron           76
5.  Bryan McCready          75
6.  Mark Calandra           68
7.  Kevin Belobaba          44
8.  Ken Ellis               43
9.  Pete Hibbard            40
10. Jeff Diamond            39[/font]

You have two weeks for these, which makes the deadline Valentine's Day. Happy early Valentine's Day!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR THIRTEEN WEEK FOURTEEN (Answers due 10pm MST 02/14/09):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Last weekend, Tim Thomas became the second goaltender to win a National Hockey League All-Star game shootout. Name the first.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Not only did this goaltender stop the first penalty shot in the history of the Stanley Cup Finals, he also stopped every other shot he faced in the game. Name him.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: During the 1976-77 season, this player became (for an entire day) the first goaltender in National Hockey League to score a goal. Name him.

year13week14.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I'm back from sunny Barbados! A great adventure with my coworker friends...unfortunately, one of my souvenirs is a nasty head cold. So I will keep this part of the mailing short.

Interesting dilemma in New Jersey now that Martin Brodeur is back on the ice practicing - will he have enough time to break Patrick Roy's career regular-season victories record before 2008-09 is through? Scott Clemmensen has given the Devils a luxury in allowing them to ease Brodeur back into action.

Looking at the Devils' schedule, I predict that Brodeur will finish the year one win behind Roy, giving him additional incentive to return for a strong 2009-10 campaign.

Let's get to the answers from two weeks ago!

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #13.14:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Last weekend, Tim Thomas became the second goaltender to win a National Hockey League All-Star game shootout. Name the first.
CORRECT ANSWER: On February 2, 2003, Dallas Stars netminder Marty Turco stopped three of four shots to lead the Western Conference past Patrick Lalime and the Eastern Conference, 6-5. Game MVP Dany Heatley scored the only shootout goal against Turco after scoring four times in the game itself.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Not only did this goaltender stop the first penalty shot in the history of the Stanley Cup Finals, he also stopped every other shot he faced in the game. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: On April 15, 1937, in the fifth and final game of the Stanley Cup Finals, Detroit's Earl Robertson stopped New York's Alex Shibicky on a penalty shot in a 3-0 victory. It was also the second consecutive shutout for Robertson.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: During the 1976-77 season, this player became (for an entire day) the first goaltender in National Hockey League to score a goal. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: In a February 15, 1977 victory over the New York Islanders, Rogie Vachon not only recorded a 3-0 shutout, he was also credited with one of the club's goals when the Islanders - on a delayed Los Angeles penalty - put the puck into their own net. It was not until the following day that official scorers determined that Kings forward Vic Venasky had touched the puck after Vachon, and the scoring decision was reversed.

year13week14.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: In the shortest of his four National Hockey League stops, Denis DeJordy played seven games for the 1971-72 Montreal Canadiens after being dealt for Rogie Vachon.

Wow - the field is jam-packed to start February! And just two weeks left in a very short month to jockey for the top spot.
Code:
[font=courier new]
FEBRUARY 2009 TOP TEN:
1. Mark Calandra           15
   Chris White             15
5. Kevin Belobaba          12
6. Kevin Cameron           10
   Pete Hibbard            10
   Roger Maynard           10
   Bryan McCready          10
   Justin Miller           10[/font]

Fair warning - the two-pointer this week isn't as obvious as it may look!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR THIRTEEN WEEK FIFTEEN (Answers due 10pm MST 02/21/09):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: On February 13, Scott Clemmensen recorded the second of back-to-back shutouts with a 1-0 win over the Boston Bruins. Prior to Clemmensen, who was the last New Jersey goaltender to record back-to-back regular-season shutouts?

THREE-POINT QUESTION: At the present time, Calgary's Miikka Kiprusoff has every regular-season victory earned by the 2008-09 Flames franchise. Name the last National Hockey League goaltender to go through an entire season recording every one of his team's wins.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: On February 6, the New York Rangers gave starter Henrik Lundqvist the night off, and they were determined to stand behind that decision, leaving Stephen Valiquette in net for ten goals against. Prior to Valiquette, name the last National Hockey League goaltender to allow double-digit goals in the same contest.

year13week15.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Okay, so it turns out that last week's two-pointer was as obvious as it looked...

How long will Ryan Miller be out? The Sabres' star goaltender collided with Scott Gomez behind the Buffalo net, and suffered a high sprain of his left ankle. Patrick Lalime - always one of my favourites - will mind the goal until Miller is ready to return, and while I haven't heard who will be recalled to the big club, I imagine it will be the highly-touted Jhonas Enroth. Not a lot of wiggle room for the Sabres, who sit seventh in the East as I write this.

Back this week will be the National Hockey League's all-time regular season win leader-elect, Martin Brodeur, who needs eight more victories to pass Patrick Roy. Brodeur returns Thursday against Roy's former club, Colorado.

Let's get to the answers from last week - contrary to popular opinion, although Kirk McLean is still my all-time favourite goaltender, I don't think up questions with him in mind. It's just a happy coincidence!

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #13.15:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: On February 13, Scott Clemmensen recorded the second of back-to-back shutouts with a 1-0 win over the Boston Bruins. Prior to Clemmensen, who was the last New Jersey goaltender to record back-to-back regular-season shutouts?
CORRECT ANSWER: Martin Brodeur last performed this feat in late October of 2006...by my quick count, Brodeur has done this seven times in the regular season, including three shutouts in a row in the spring of 1997 (which I counted twice). Also, by my quick count, no other Devil has done this aside from these two.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: At the present time, Calgary's Miikka Kiprusoff has every regular-season victory earned by the 2008-09 Flames franchise. Name the last National Hockey League goaltender to go through an entire season recording every one of his team's wins.
CORRECT ANSWER: It may have only been eighteen victories, but in the lockout-shortened season of 1994-95, Kirk McLean of the Vancouver Canucks earned each of them. Kay Whitmore was the club's backup, appearing in eleven contests.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: On February 6, the New York Rangers gave starter Henrik Lundqvist the night off, and they were determined to stand behind that decision, leaving Stephen Valiquette in net for ten goals against. Prior to Valiquette, name the last National Hockey League goaltender to allow double-digit goals in the same contest.
CORRECT ANSWER: On November 10, 1998, Bill Ranford stopped exactly two-thirds of thirty New York Ranger shots on net in a 10-2 loss. Ranford would end up in Detroit before the end of the season.

year13week15.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Current hockey commentator John Garrett spent twelve seasons in the big leagues plying his trade, including his final two-plus years in Vancouver. Garrett struggled as the backup to Richard Brodeur, and was eased into retirement upon the arrival of Frank Caprice.

Four folks with perfect records after two weeks of February!

Code:
[font=courier new]
FEBRUARY 2009 TOP TEN:
1.  Mark Calandra           30
    Chris White             30
5.  Pete Hibbard            25
6.  Bryan McCready          22
7.  Roger Maynard           20
8.  Justin Miller           17
9.  nyr6141994              15
10. Kevin Belobaba          12
    Ken Ellis               12[/font]

One more week to go in February - wow, does the time fly! You may recognize the five-pointer since I mis-stated it a few weeks ago - fortunately it turned out to be a pretty fair question in its own right...plus it's nice to give Patrick Lalime some of the limelight every now and then!

The picture is pretty easy, but I love the picture anyhow.

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR THIRTEEN WEEK SIXTEEN (Answers due 10pm MST 02/28/09):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Who was the first goaltender to backstop a National Hockey League team to consecutive Stanley Cup championships?

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Although the Lefty Wilson-designed goal mask is commonly referred to as the "Terry Sawchuk" model, Sawchuk was not the first to wear a Wilson mask. Who was?

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: From the start of a National Hockey League career, who holds the record for the greatest number of consecutive playoff victories?

year13week16.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Congratulations to Mark Calandra, Mike Pieters and Chris White for coming out on top of a very competitive February! The three worked through a perfect three trivia periods despite some tough questions.

Maybe Brodeur *will* set the wins mark this year - he's certainly looked in his two games back against Colorado and Florida. Brodeur stands at 546 regular season victories as I write this and is now six behind Patrick Roy.

Trade deadline comes up this Wednesday! A lot of goaltenders on the list of potential moves; most notably, a pair of Niks - Backstrom and Khabibulin. Will Clemmensen be moved now that Brodeur has shown that he's back for good? The three-pointer in this week's set relates to the deadline as well.

Let's get to last week's answers...

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #13.16:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Who was the first goaltender to backstop a National Hockey League team to consecutive Stanley Cup championships?
CORRECT ANSWER: Clint Benedict was in the Ottawa Senators nets for their Cup triumphs in 1920 and 1921. Benedict later won the Cup in 1923 and 1926. Once the National Hockey League took sole control of the Cup, George Hainsworth and the Montreal Canadiens were the first repeat winners, in 1930 and 1931.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Although the Lefty Wilson-designed goal mask is commonly referred to as the "Terry Sawchuk" model, Sawchuk was not the first to wear a Wilson mask. Who was?
CORRECT ANSWER: On November 10, 1961, Dennis Riggin suffered an eye injury while playing for the Western Hockey League's Edmonton Flyers. Although the injury would lead to his ultimate retirement, he made an attempt to recover, and as a Detroit prospect he had Wilson's skills at his disposal. Riggin tried both the Delbert Louch shield and the Wilson mask.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: From the start of a National Hockey League career, who holds the record for the greatest number of consecutive playoff victories?
CORRECT ANSWER: Hall-of-Famer Tiny Thompson won his first seven playoff games, including the 1929 Stanley Cup championship with the Boston Bruins. His first loss came on March 25, 1930 in a 1-0 double-overtime loss to the Montreal Maroons.

year13week16.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Murray Bannerman succeeded Tony Esposito in the Chicago Black Hawks' pantheon of goaltenders, playing with the club from 1980 through 1987. Bannerman was a solid netminder who suffered from consistency issues, but his skating and puckhandling abilities were ahead of his times.

Here's the full list for the short month of February - congratulations to you all!

Code:
[font=courier new]
FEBRUARY 2009 TOP TEN:
1.  Mark Calandra           45
    Chris White             45
4.  Tom Mascioli            42
5.  Bryan McCready          37
6.  Roger Maynard           35
7.  Pete Hibbard            32
8.  Justin Miller           29
9.  nyr6141994              27
10. Ken Ellis               19[/font]

And we start March today! Another goalie in the photo gallery this week who you may recognize, but it's another one of my favourite photos...

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR THIRTEEN WEEK SEVENTEEN (Answers due 10pm MST 03/07/09):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: In thwarting the 1980 Montreal Canadiens' bid for a fifth consecutive Stanley Cup, this goaltender turned in a performance which broadcaster Dick Irvin called among the best he had ever seen. Name him.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the most recent National Hockey League netminder to have his name enscribed on the Stanley Cup at the end of a year where he was traded midseason.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: This Montreal goaltender had the habit of changing the television channel at each commercial break, a habit which earned him the nickname "Twitchy". It also irritated his goaltender teammate so much that the Canadiens agreed to never have them share a room on the road again. Name him.

year13week17.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
The rumours that goaltenders around the National Hockey League are scheduling biceps tendon surgery are false, but Martin Brodeur is now at 548 wins and 100 shutouts in his quest to pass Roy's and Sawchuk's records.

Not a lot of goaltender movement at the trade deadline - when the most relevant trade is Mikael Tellqvist to Buffalo, that says something. Two netminders done for the year - Olaf Kolzig and Pascal Leclaire - switched teams, and of course, Martin Gerber was rescued from the minor leagues by Toronto.

Let's move on to the answers from last week's trivia!

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #13.17:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: In thwarting the 1980 Montreal Canadiens' bid for a fifth consecutive Stanley Cup, this goaltender turned in a performance which broadcaster Dick Irvin called among the best he had ever seen. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: In a thrilling seven-game series, Gilles Meloche and the Minnesota North Stars were the ones who eliminated Montreal. On April 27, Meloche won Game Seven by a 3-2 margin.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the most recent National Hockey League netminder to have his name enscribed on the Stanley Cup at the end of a year where he was traded midseason.
CORRECT ANSWER: On December 6, 1995, Patrick Roy was dealt from the Montreal Canadiens to the Colorado Avalanche, and the club would go on to knock off the Florida Panthers the following June to earn the club's first Stanley Cup.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: This Montreal goaltender had the habit of changing the television channel at each commercial break, a habit which earned him the nickname "Twitchy". It also irritated his goaltender teammate so much that the Canadiens agreed to never have them share a room on the road again. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: According to Gump Worsley, "You never got to see a whole show with Charlie [Hodge] running the set." Hodge and Worsley were teammates on the Canadiens for nearly four seasons, and were not roommates for nearly that long.

year13week17.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Gary "Bones" Bromley played eight years in the big leagues, with the final years as a backup to Glen Hanlon and Richard Brodeur in Vancouver. His famous mask was painted by famous mask-maker Greg Harrison in 1979.

Wow! A lot of people off to a good start in the month of March, with eight perfect records leading the way.

Code:
[font=courier new]MARCH 2009 TOP TEN:
1. Ryan Angus              15
   Kevin Cameron           15
   Justin Miller           15
9. Chris Greenwood         12
   Chris White             12[/font]

Some easy ones, some medium ones, and one hard one this week. Have fun!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR THIRTEEN WEEK EIGHTEEN (Answers due 10pm MST03/14/09):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: These goaltenders served as the best man for one another's weddings, which made their on-ice fight in November of 1998 all the more memorable. Name them.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the goaltender whose eye injury, suffered in February of 1977, ultimately led to the end of the fiberglass mask as goaltender facial protection.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: In December of 1998, this National Hockey League goaltender (along with two of his teammates) competed in a three-on-three hockey match against a trio of travelling circus bears. Name him.

year13week18.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
In the most celebrated tie since the National Hockey League implemented the shootout, Martin Brodeur's twenty-two saves in Montreal last night brought him even with Patrick Roy's 551 regular season victories.

Brodeur's first chance to eclipse Roy's mark will happen at home against the Chicago Blackhawks on Tuesday night - St. Patrick's Day. Is it fate? Congratulations to Martin as he works to complete his quest.

Something I think I've settled upon for the trivia - as many of you know, I'm studying for actuarial examinations, and I'm down to the very difficult written exams - for a sample of my study materials, see:

exams.jpg

Anyhow, the exam is on May 1st and I've been trying to study for as long as I can on Saturdays and Sundays. I love doing this but it does take a non-trivial portion of the weekend. So since I usually run April but not May, I'm going to reverse it this year - skip April and then come back for a May challenge; this will also give me a shot to work in some great Stanley Cup playoff questions. Hopefully this is okay with you all!

Let's get to the trivia answers from last week...

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #13.18:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: These goaltenders served as the best man for one another's weddings, which made their on-ice fight in November of 1998 all the more memorable. Name them.
CORRECT ANSWER: During an on-ice brawl between the Bruins and the Capitals, former teammates Byron Dafoe and Olaf Kolzig engaged in fisticuffs which were largely comedic in nature - if you watch the YouTube version (I recommend the 4:46 video) you can clearly see the two laughing. Were they laughing because they had switched from their original dance partners (Dale Hunter and Ken Belanger)?

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the goaltender whose eye injury, suffered in February of 1977, ultimately led to the end of the fiberglass mask as goaltender facial protection.
CORRECT ANSWER: Thirty-two year-old Gerry Desjardins was carving out a nice career for himself as the number-one netminder for the Buffalo Sabres when he was struck by a puck. Many goaltenders, including Desjardins' teammate Don Edwards, switched to a cage immediately. The following year, the Canadian Standards Association banned fiberglass masks from minor hockey.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: In December of 1998, this National Hockey League goaltender (along with two of his teammates) competed in a three-on-three hockey match against a trio of travelling circus bears. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Mikhail Shtalenkov, along with Andrei Kovalenko and Boris Mironov, skated against bears from the Moscow Circus after Mironov's wife Katrina, a three-year veteran acrobat of the troupe, convinced Boris and his teammates to help promote the circus when they came to Edmonton. The bears did wear helmets and skates, and carried big sticks.

year13week18.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Bob Froese bridged the goaltending gap for the Flyers between the untimely death of Pelle Lindbergh and the early arrival of Ron Hextall. The pinnacle of his National Hockey League career came in 1985-86 when he finished second in Vezina balloting to division rival John Vanbiesbrouck. The following year, Froese would join Vanbiesbrouck in Manhattan, where he would play for four campaigns.

We are down to six perfect scores after two weeks after some esoteric questions!

Code:
[font=courier new]
[B]MARCH 2009 TOP TEN:[/B]
1.  Mark Calandra           30
    Pete Hibbard            30
    Justin Miller           30
7.  Kevin Cameron           25
8.  Chris White             22
9.  Jeff Diamond            19
10. Tim Gervais             18[/font]

Three more weeks to go in March, and then a one-month break before we finish things up in May. Have fun!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR THIRTEEN WEEK NINETEEN (Answers due 10pm MST03/21/09):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Name the goaltender who recently set a National Hockey League record by registering thirty or more regular-season victories in each of his first four seasons.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender is the only one in National Hockey League history to win the Stanley Cup despite his team starting all four playoff series on the road. Name him.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: In one of Don Cherry's more famous stories of life as the coach of the Colorado Rockies, his club had totalled the first ten shots on goal of their game before his goaltender would allow a goal on the first shot he faced. Name the goaltender who was then pulled from the game by Cherry.

year13week19.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
There's a reason I knew that Martin Brodeur would pass Patrick Roy on Tuesday as the National Hockey League's all-time leader in regular season victories. You see, these things always happen when I can't see them. When Roy passed Sawchuk, I was playing in a playoff game of my own. And when Brodeur passed Roy, I was on an airplane to Tucson, Arizona.

Congratulations to Martin on a great accomplishment - you can argue all day long about his relative advantages and disadvantages, but records are almost universally set in periods favourable to the achiever. Brodeur did what he had to do, and he'll likely keep doing it for the next few years as well!

Film interlude - here's a sweet Ken Dryden video from the Legends of Hockey series:

Well, either all six of the leaders got the five-pointer correct this week or none of them did. More on that further down, but the gist of it is that we still have a six way tie for the lead!

Let's get to the answers, including the controversial five-pointer.

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #13.19:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Name the goaltender who recently set a National Hockey League record by registering thirty or more regular-season victories in each of his first four seasons.
CORRECT ANSWER: Henrik Lundqvist of the New York Rangers, who has 137 regular-season victories as I write this. Lundqvist came into an ideal situation for him in Manhattan and immediately took advantage.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender is the only one in National Hockey League history to win the Stanley Cup despite his team starting all four playoff series on the road. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Martin Brodeur and the 1995 New Jersey Devils successfully knocked off Boston, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and Detroit, losing just four games (and only one on the road) en route to the franchise's first Cup.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: In one of Don Cherry's more famous stories of life as the coach of the Colorado Rockies, his club had totalled the first ten shots on goal of their game before his goaltender would allow a goal on the first shot he faced. Name the goaltender who was then pulled from the game by Cherry.
CORRECT ANSWER: According to a first-hand story from Cherry, it was Bill Oleschuk who was pulled from the Colorado net. It has been noted that Wikipedia lists Hardy Astrom as the netminder, but I'm going to go with the direct Cherry quote here.

An interesting complication is that none of the Colorado Rockies' 1979-80 games exactly fits the story of Cherry - this one is the closest in my mind, but fails on several key details:

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/poboxscore.cgi?H19790498

It's likely that Cherry exaggerated the story - he has a tendency to do that. If anyone has additional information to lend, I would love to hear from you!

year13week19.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Before he became the linchpin in the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim's system, Guy Hebert was a St. Louis draft choice. Hebert backed up Curtis Joseph for two seasons with the Blues before moving to the Ducks in the 1993 expansion draft. Hebert made his mark on the NHL despite matriculating at tiny (Division 2) Hamilton College.

Here are the fabulous six, pacing a solid leaderboard with two weeks remaining in March.

Code:
[font=courier new]
MARCH 2009 TOP TEN:
1. Mark Calandra           40
   Pete Hibbard            40
   Roger Maynard           40
   Justin Miller           40
   Tom Mascioli            40
   Mike Pieters            40
7. Kevin Cameron           35
8. Chris White             32
9. Jeff Diamond            22
   Ken Ellis               22[/font]

For the pictoral question, it's not the most famous shot, but I prefer this angle (although that could be because it's not seen as often).

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR THIRTEEN WEEK TWENTY (Answers due 10pm MST 03/28/09):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: With all of the talk regarding the NHL's career regular season wins record, many people do not realize that the corresponding record for losses is also in jeopardy. Name the player who is the active leader in career National Hockey League regular season losses.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Steve Mason and Pekka Rinne are currently the two two favourites for the 2008-09 Calder Memorial Trophy, awarded to the National Hockey League's top rookie. Name the goaltenders involved the last time netminders finished one-two in Calder Trophy balloting.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender believes that he was waived by his franchise as payback for what happened on the last day of the National Hockey League's 1969-70 regular season. Name him.

year13week20.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Goalies gone wild are in the news these days, after both Providence (and Boston prospect) Tuukka Rask, and Toronto's Martin Gerber, flipped out after controversial goal calls. Gerber's suspension may even lead to a National Hockey League record being matched - see the two-point answer below.

And we're in the regular season home stretch, and about to hit something I'm looking very much forward to this spring. Perhaps it's because I've been witnessing some very bad NHL hockey in Colorado, but I can't wait for the world championships next month. Goaltenders who you don't hear about much in North America all of a sudden show up on the radar and shine.

One more week for the March competition, and then we'll be taking off April, and then we will be back for a very happy May! But let's check out last week's answers...

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #13.20:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: With all of the talk regarding the NHL's career regular season wins record, many people do not realize that the corresponding record for losses is also in jeopardy. Name the player who is the active leader in career National Hockey League regular season losses.
CORRECT ANSWER: With a 5-3 loss to Buffalo on Friday, Toronto's Curtis Joseph now stands with 351 career losses, one fewer than Hall-of-Famer Gump Worsley. With Martin Gerber finishing his three-game suspension, Joseph will get a chance to tie Worsley on Wednesday against Philadelphia.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Steve Mason and Pekka Rinne are currently the two favourites for the 2008-09 Calder Memorial Trophy, awarded to the National Hockey League's top rookie. Name the goaltenders involved the last time netminders finished one-two in Calder Trophy balloting.
CORRECT ANSWER: Detroit's Terry Sawchuk edged Toronto's Al Rollins for the Calder at the conclusion of the 1950-51 season. Rollins was hindered because he split time with Turk Broda, but he did take home the Vezina for his efforts.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender believes that he was waived by his franchise as payback for what happened on the last day of the National Hockey League's 1969-70 regular season. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: The 1969-70 race for the final playoff spot came down to a goals scored tiebreaker between the Rangers and the Canadiens. New York got the spot after scoring nine goals against Detroit, who rested many of their key players. Five years later, the Rangers waived Ed Giacomin, who was immediately claimed by the Red Wings.

year13week20.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: The principals in this famous 1970 Stanley Cup-winning photo are Bobby Orr, Noel Picard, and of course, St. Louis netminder Glenn Hall. You can see here that Hall did start to wear a goal mask at the end of his long career.

We're down to a two-way tie for the March lead with one week to play!
Code:
[font=courier new]
[B]MARCH 2009 TOP TEN:[/B]
1.  Tom Mascioli            55
    Roger Maynard           55
3.  Mark Calandra           50
    Kevin Cameron           50
    Pete Hibbard            50
6.  Justin Miller           47
7.  Mike Pieters            45
8.  Chris White             42
9.  Ken Ellis               32
10. Jeff Diamond            29[/font]

It's apparently Steve Mason week here at Goaltender Trivia - he really is having an amazing 2008-09 season. Have fun!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR THIRTEEN WEEK TWENTY-ONE (Answers due 10pm MST04/04/09):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: On Thursday night, Columbus goaltender Steve Mason recorded his tenth shutout of the 2008-09 season with a 5-0 victory over the Calgary Flames. Prior to Mason, name the last rookie (Calder eligible) goaltender to register double-digit shutouts in a single campaign.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Chris Mason (St. Louis) and Steve Mason (Columbus) have battled three times this season in Central Division battles. Before this season, name the last time netminders with the same surname started opposite one another in a National Hockey League contest.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: This future National Hockey League goaltender nearly participated - and likely would have been killed - in the disastrous World War II "Operation Jubilee". However, a last-minute respiratory infection kept him in the hospital and away from harm. Name him.

year13week21.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
In one of the tighter solo victories in recent Goaltender Trivia memory, Roger Maynard pulls out a three-point win over Pete Hibbard and Tom Mascioli. Pete's perfect week made things close, but he could not overcome Maynard this time. Congratulations to Roger, who takes home his fourth title of 2008-09.

Congratulations to Al Montoya, who was selected sixth overall in the 2004 entry draft but had been biding his time in the minors for the past few season. The Mikael Tellqvist trade opened a door for Montoya, and the 24-year-old took advantage Wednesday night. Playing the home town Colorado Avalanche like April Fools, Montoya stopped 23 shots in a 3-0 victory.

Insert obligatory derisive Sean Avery comment here. I really don't want to talk about Avery because that's pretty much what he wants.

Have you checked out Puck Prospectus yet? It's a dream come true for those of us who love hockey and serious analysis, and it's a dream many of have been talking about creating for years. It's finally here, and definitely worth reading:

http://www.puckprospectus.com/

Don't forget that I'll be taking a one-month hiatus while preparing for my actuarial exam on May 1st. I'll probably find other ways to distract me during this process, like this little time-wasting joy that I discovered yesterday: http://doctor-no.mybrute.com/

Anyhow, let's solve the mystery of last week's questions!

CORRECT ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #13.21:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: On Thursday night, Columbus goaltender Steve Mason recorded his tenth shutout of the 2008-09 season with a 5-0 victory over the Calgary Flames. Prior to Mason, name the last rookie (Calder eligible) goaltender to register double-digit shutouts in a single campaign.
CORRECT ANSWER: Happy with the play of Rogie Vachon, the Montreal Canadiens let Tony Esposito get away to the Chicago Black Hawks. In his first full Windy City campaign, Espo blanked the opposition fifteen times while leading his club to the top of the East Division (meanwhile, the Canadiens missed the playoffs). Chicago would get derailed in the Stanley Cup semifinals by eventual champion Boston.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Chris Mason (St. Louis) and Steve Mason (Columbus) have battled three times this season in Central Division battles. Before this season, name the last time netminders with the same surname started opposite one another in a National Hockey League contest.
CORRECT ANSWER: On January 9, 1986, Darren Jensen and Philadelphia held the visiting Washington Capitals (with Al Jensen in net) without a goal in a 4-0 win. Both Jensens were expected to see several more years in the bigs, but sadly, this was not to be.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: This future National Hockey League goaltender nearly participated - and likely would have been killed - in the disastrous World War II "Operation Jubilee". However, a last-minute respiratory infection kept him in the hospital and away from harm. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Not as successful or as famous as the invasion of Normandy two years later, the August 1942 attempted invasion at Dieppe nearly cost us a Hall of Famer in 17-year-old Johnny Bower.

year13week21.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Jeff Hackett ascended to the role of Chicago starter in the late 1990s, supplanting Ed Belfour (much to the latter's surprise). In total, the oft-injured and underrated netminder would spend fifteen seasons in the National Hockey League.

Roger ekes out the close win over Pete and Tom, but a hearty congratulations to all of our top ten!
Code:
[font=courier new]
MARCH 2009 TOP TEN:
1.  Roger Maynard           68
2.  Pete Hibbard            65
    Tom Mascioli            65
4.  Mark Calandra           60
5.  Mike Pieters            58
6.  Kevin Cameron           57
7.  Chris White             52
8.  Justin Miller           47
9.  Ken Ellis               39
10. Jeff Diamond            36[/font]

We'll be back on May 3rd! Enjoy the next month of battles.

Doug

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad