Goaltender of the tournament

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
Why only two options.Not that i'm debating these two deserve serious consideration but there are others that have played well.The German goalie certainly deserves a poll position.

bling

Jun 23, 2004
The real tournament has yet to begin and you have already chosen the two candidates for best goalie? I think you are getting a bit ahead of yourself here.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
As either side haven't seen that much of the other goalie, it's pretty hard for me to say anything of Varlamov, as I haven't seen him play. Price has been very impressive though. He plays the butterfly style and looks quite Lundqvist-esque, strong in the legs and good ice coverage.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
I voted for Semen, but I would've probably voted for the German goalie if he was the option because he has been the most impressive goalie in this tournament so far.

wildone26*

Varlamov would be a joke. He is only 4th most deserving at best.

lopper

Oct 22, 2006
AB
After the Canada-US semi today there is no doubt that Price is the best goalie. Canada was outshot 12-2 in overtime and he had many clutch saves to help them get to a shootout. Can't wait to see him in the gold medal game.

Bryzga lol*

I'm really happy to see Price living up to the hype. It wasn't looking very good before the camp, but so far, he's out played every goalie Canada faced, even when Canada outshot the other team. He doesn't look like a 19 year old, more like 29. His positioning and movement are so perfect that it's scary.

I'm a habs fan, and yes, his defencemen are great, but I think he'll be among the Luongos and Denis' if he plays well Friday.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Price has taken more shots, has a better save % and has a better GAA while playing against better teams. Unless Russia dominates Canada and beats them by at least 3 or 4 in the final game I think Price's name is already engraved on the trophy.

wildone26*

Price has taken more shots, has a better save % and has a better GAA while playing against better teams. Unless Russia dominates Canada and beats them by at least 3 or 4 in the final game I think Price's name is already engraved on the trophy.

I agree with you. Russia should have to crush Canada, while not badly outplaying them for Varlamov to deserve goaltender of the tournament.

knights2005

Dec 13, 2006
Agreed on Price getting the award especially when you throw in the fact it's possible that none of Canada's forwards and at most 1 defencemen will make the all-star team. It would look pretty weird having a gold medal winning team (yes I'm being presumptuous) with just 1 defensemen selected.

Would it be possible however to give Price the MVP award and Varlamov the goaltender of the tournament award (or vice versa depending upon the outcome of the game)? If so, this could be a possibility.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I agree that whoever wins the gold, should win the best goalie 'cause it could go either way. Varlamov seems faster, Price seems better positionnally and rebound control. Both guys have fast legs, while Price is much better around his net. But in this tournament both guys played well and have similar numbers, though Price faced way more shots but I can't honestly speak about quality shots as far as the Russian goalie is concerned, having seen only the Swedes game.

The German goalie played a good tournament but did gave 5 goals facing 28 shots against the Swiss....But should be #3 with Frazee close by.

wildone26*

Why on earth should they give Price MVP and Varmalov best goaltender. Varmalov does not deserve any award at all unless he outplays Price by an enormous margin in the final. Right now Price should be the runaway winner of the best goaltender, the all star goaltender, and if he does win the MVP it should mean nothing as far as Varmalov winning an award.

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002

I think the samething..

:clap:

MentalPowerHouse

Oct 11, 2003
Too close to call right now, the only difference is that Price has been more heavily relied on to win but only because Russia has been scoring more. The 12 saves in overtime again the USA was very clutch.

Clearly whoever plays better tomorrow should win.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
whoever wins tomarrow will get it. goaltending hasnt been that great all tourney besides those 2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad