Goaltender depth

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
I have heard a lot about the depth the Flames have in the system. The names I hear most often are Ramo, Brossoit, Ortio, and Gilles. Does anyone know if any of them are near to, or are, NHL ready? Or is it like the Jankowski thing, where in 3-5 years we're going to have a decent stable of netminders? Outside of Ramo, I've never seen any of them play, and Ramo was when he was a backup for the Lightning.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Ramo is ready, if he comes over hes playing to try and win the starter position. Ortio is the most likely of them to not make the NHL in my opinion but hes also the oldest of the other three. Gillies and Brossoit are likely 3 years away.

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
If we deal Kiprusoff, Ramo could be our starter next year. He's arguably the best goalie in the KHL and is NHL ready. Broissot and Gillies are in the CHL and NCAA repectively. Gillies is 18 and Brossoit is 19. Both have been amazing in their respective leagues but are still 2 years minimum from starting for the Flames and knowing how slowly most goalies develop, might not start for another 3 or 4 years... Also, Ortio is 21 already. I haven't been following him at all but he'll probably get in a few games in the next 2 seasons...

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Ramo is ready, if he comes over hes playing to try and win the starter position. Ortio is the most likely of them to not make the NHL in my opinion but hes also the oldest of the other three. Gillies and Brossoit are likely 3 years away.

I agree with this, but also, with Ortio, I would suggest that even though he is the least likely to make the NHL, outside of Ramo, I think based on how he reads the game, that he is the most likely to make a real tangible impact in the NHL. So in short, least likely to make it, most likely to be a solid #1 if he should. In my twisted opinion that is.

BrodieGoat

May 24, 2012
I agree with this, but also, with Ortio, I would suggest that even though he is the least likely to make the NHL, outside of Ramo, I think based on how he reads the game, that he is the most likely to make a real tangible impact in the NHL. So in short, least likely to make it, most likely to be a solid #1 if he should. In my twisted opinion that is.

agreed but lots of people t5hink ortios is a bust because he had few bad games in the AHL i think he has lots of upside

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Ramo should be in the NHL next year, he is said to be the best goaltender outside the NHL, we will see how his years in the KHL translate to NHL success.

Ortio may never come back to North America. At this point in time I would not offer him a RFA contract in the summer of 2014.

Brossoit will be going pro next year, he will probably start 2013-14 as the backup in Abbotsford but hopefully in 2014-15 he will be the starter, I have him pegged for an NHL debut in 2015-16.

Gillies IMO is the furthest away (time), but closest other than Ramo (ability). He has been a monster for Providence College and is the main reason they came within 2 points of winning the Hockey East Conference. He could probably go pro next year and not be out of place, but I think he will stick around Providence for 4 years and challenge some Hockey East records.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->