Goals scored by defenseman assisted by two defensemen

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
Any known instances of this? Trying to avoid defensemen filling in at wing or forwards filling in on defense. Simply just looking for 3 true defenseman that have combined on a scoring play.

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
There have been 126 such goals since 1917/18 season, out of about 255K scored with three participants (~ 0.05%):
Note: I only have current or latest positions the players played. They might've have different deployment at the time of the goal.

20120405: FLA @ WSH 0:42 of period 3:
ED JOVANOVSKI from BRIAN CAMPBELL and JASON GARRISON
20140104: NSH @ FLA 14:52 of period 3:
SETH JONES from ROMAN JOSI and SHEA WEBER
20141203: EDM @ WPG 16:54 of period 3:
DUSTIN BYFUGLIEN from MARK STUART and JACOB TROUBA
20150214: EDM @ OTT 3:06 of period 2:
MARK FAYNE from JEFF PETRY and ANDREW FERENCE
20160321: PHI @ NYI 13:01 of period 2:
BRANDON MANNING from ANDREW MACDONALD and MARK STREIT

The list is too large to post as a message. The five latest ones are above. The full list is attached.

Attachments

• 3dg.txt
    10.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
There have been 126 such goals since 1917/18 season, out of about 255K scored with three participants (~ 0.05%):
Note: I only have current or latest positions the players played. They might've have different deployment at the time of the goal.

[20120405: FLA @ WSH 0:42 of period 3:
ED JOVANOVSKI from BRIAN CAMPBELL and JASON GARRISON
20140104: NSH @ FLA 14:52 of period 3:
SETH JONES from ROMAN JOSI and SHEA WEBER
20141203: EDM @ WPG 16:54 of period 3:
DUSTIN BYFUGLIEN from MARK STUART and JACOB TROUBA
20150214: EDM @ OTT 3:06 of period 2:
MARK FAYNE from JEFF PETRY and ANDREW FERENCE
20160321: PHI @ NYI 13:01 of period 2:
BRANDON MANNING from ANDREW MACDONALD and MARK STREIT

The list is too large to post as a message. The five latest ones are above. The full list is attached.

Where's this data from?

Reactions: Gains

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Are we thinking the most common scenario here is a defenseman served a penalty, two defensemen were on the penalty kill, then the serving player got out of the box and got the puck passed to him (from one of the PK D, in turn from the other PK D) and went in to score?

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
Are we thinking the most common scenario here is a defenseman served a penalty, two defensemen were on the penalty kill, then the serving player got out of the box and got the puck passed to him (from one of the PK D, in turn from the other PK D) and went in to score?
I assume so. I checked the last goal, it's a such one.

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
Fun facts:
  • There were four such goals by Reg Fleming, Scott Stevens, Dale Tallon and Jimmy Roberts each.
  • There were two goals by Bob Murray from Phil Russell and Mike O'Connell
  • There were two goals by Scott Stevens from Mike McEwen and Larry Murphy
  • There were two goals by Al MacInnis from Gary Suter and Paul Reinhart.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

member 83027

Fun facts:
  • There were four such goals by Reg Fleming, Scott Stevens, Dale Tallon and Jimmy Roberts each.

Great list.

More than likely Jimmy Roberts was being used as a Forward for most if not all the Goals he was involved in.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
Great list.

More than likely Jimmy Roberts was being used as a Forward for most if not all the Goals he was involved in.
Unfortunately, it looks like the NHL squashed the information from the original boxscores and only referenced the latest assignment. I checked the goal
1971/04/08: DAL at STL @ 43:45JIMMY ROBERTSCARL BREWERBARCLAY PLAGER
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
and STL has seven D on the roster of that game: three Plagers, two Arbours, Picardo and Roberts.
Similarly, with the recent Byfuglien goal - the game it was scored had WPG with seven D, although I am sure Buff was used as a RW.

member 83027

Unfortunately, it looks like the NHL squashed the information from the original boxscores and only referenced the latest assignment. I checked the goal
1971/04/08: DAL at STL @ 43:45JIMMY ROBERTSCARL BREWERBARCLAY PLAGER
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
and STL has seven D on the roster of that game: three Plagers, two Arbours, Picardo and Roberts.
Similarly, with the recent Byfuglien goal - the game it was scored had WPG with seven D, although I am sure Buff was used as a RW.

Well....

They can be listed at any position. That by no means that is the position they played during the game.

Roberts is a tough one. He did play a lot of D with the Blues but to be honest he probably played even more Wing especially after his 1st season here.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Fun facts:

Fun list!

Baldy Northcott, Reg Fleming, Jimmy Roberts, Dale Tallon and Ron Greschner were probably playing forward for their goals.

Scott Stevens’ goals circa 1985 probably came on the power play while playing in front of the net, not as a defenceman.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Fun list!

Baldy Northcott, Reg Fleming, Jimmy Roberts, Dale Tallon and Ron Greschner were probably playing forward for their goals.

Scott Stevens’ goals circa 1985 probably came on the power play while playing in front of the net, not as a defenceman.

Played a forward role on the PK initially in their NHL career.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

I was thinking it could also occur during a line change.....one d-man passes to his blueline partner before subbing off, then the new player gets the ensuing pass and scores.

Well....

They can be listed at any position. That by no means that is the position they played during the game.

Roberts is a tough one. He did play a lot of D with the Blues but to be honest he probably played even more Wing especially after his 1st season here.

Surprised to see DAL used in a boxscore from the 70's, twenty years before they had a team. :laugh:

member 83027

I checked the newspaper report for Nov 21 1972 St Louis vs Vancouver
Goal: Chris Evans Assists Barclay Plager & Andre Dupont

Says Dupont was not even on the ice at the time of the goal. Says Durbano replaced Dupont after he passed the puck to Plager who in turned passed to Evans who scored. One of the 3 of these guys must have been playing forward. I assume Evans but Barclay did play forward a handful of times with the Blues.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
One would think this would happen with the Predators every year.
2010-11 Nashville Predators Roster and Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com
The predators in 2010-11 seems like it would have had several goals being scored by a Dman being assisted by 2 other Dmen, trailing late in the 3rd period they could have had Weber/Suter/Franson out there with 3 forwards.

My Finnish favourite team used that kind of formation at 2007-08 season with goalie pulled.

Three defenceman manned the back triangle, then there was the forward in the middle and two guys in front of net.

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
There were 4 (four) such goals since the last post.
One of them by Brendan Smith was likely when he was used as a forward.

However after that three consecutive such goals were scored by Mark Pysyk of Florida, last two of which - against the Maple Leafs. Two of these three were identical: Pysyk from Ekblad and Yandle. However now I see he was used as a RW at times during that season.

20200227: TOR at FLA @ 02:23MARK PYSYKAARON EKBLADKEITH YANDLE
20200203: FLA at TOR @ 42:20MARK PYSYKMIKE MATHESONJOSH BROWN
20191214: BOS at FLA @ 42:46MARK PYSYKAARON EKBLADKEITH YANDLE
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
https://morehockeystats.com/league/def3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->