Goals/Points Predictions for 2018-2019

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I understand your point, the NHL is a completely different kettle of fish to any other league and he is young, which is partly why I said I'm 'prepared to be disappointed' - but I also think Tolvanen's a totally different level of prospect to Fiala and when Forsberg was 19 he hadn't broken records in the KHL. It's not fair or necessarily even justified to expect fireworks from him, but I think he has the potential for them and so of course it'll be disappointing to a degree if he doesn't produce them. That doesn't mean writing him off or turning on him at all, just... disappointing in the same way I'm disappointed every morning I don't wake up next to Rose McIver.

Well said. They didn't lock him up with top 3 pick worthy ELC unless they didn't see something truly special in him. I mean how many times has that even happened in the history of the league, recent or otherwise (I don't know/remember any such instances from a late 1st round pick)? I know many fans may have had high hopes for him at the end of last season already, me included. Tolvanen got a few good looks heading into the playoffs but wasn't able torch it up off the gates and pretty soon got cast out of top six (if I remember correctly). Probably the right thing to do as you don't want any question marks when your team is about to enter the playoffs (and also kind of bad timing to try break in to the roster).

Anyhow, I watched maybe 70-80% of his KHL games and damn, could not have been much more impressed. His production doesn't tell the entire story at all. Almost every single time Tolvanen entered a board battle nearly out of nowhere he would come out with the puck (while playing against some of the best/toughest professional players in the Europe). Whenever he was on the ice you'd know something would happen. Tolvanen was paired up and played with Bryan O'Neill the majority of the season with left winger changing throughout the season. Not exactly a top tier KHL center but he wasn't bad either and in some ways he would compliment Eeli quite well. Had O'Neill not been badly injured and been replaced by Ikonen (3rd/4th line caliber C), Eeli would have had even more crazy regular season and would have demolished those old records. The whole thing was kind of a pity cause lack of much quality support he got stuck with the dry spell that lasted almost twenty or so games. Of course Eeli should have been more consistent himself. He was still able to accomplish one of the best 18 year seasons ever without elite support cast (which SKA or CSKA would have provided for instance). Not bad at all.

It really amazed me how strong he was for someone his age/size. Eeli was like puck magnet who could find space to slice through the defence and at the same time would not shy away from getting his hands dirty in the boards or around the ice. Great speed (step or two shy from elite at NHL level), excellent agility and top notch vision and hockey IQ, oh and that shot! Some of the exact same qualities as I see in another Finn, Aho, but also he reminds me a bit of one of the most memorable wingers in the hockey, Kariya, which I've mentioned before. J. Jalonen who was the head coach of Jokerit and who had also coached Laine, said he was a similar level talent, which of course isn't quite true but still speaks volumes about the potential.

I agree with the sentiment that as a prospect he is in a different tier than Fiala and maybe even Forsberg was and I honestly do think he can become as good if not better than either one of them, but I also acknowledge the fact that potential does not always materialize and each player has their own development trajectories and some may hit the wall sooner than the other. My fingers are crossed for him staying on the current path. If the kid turns out not ready for a top six role in the coming season that's alright, but in the long term I would be extremely surprised if he didn't end up at least a good first line type of a winger, but he has the tools for even more. Anyway, if Tolvanen breaks into top six and gets sufficient PP time I'm going to stick with the 30+30 and for once be delusional!

Apologies if I got derailed here. Guess it may be the pre-NHL fewer that's burning me up. ;)

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Forsberg (36) - Johansen (16) - Arvidsson (28)
Fiala (26) - Turris (19) - Smith (17)
Jarnkrok (12) - Bonino (11) - Hartman (18)
Grimaldi (3) - Sissons (8) - Gaudreau (4)
Watson (7), Salomaki (2), Tolvanen (2)

Josi (12) - Ellis (15)
Ekholm (7) - Subban (13)
Hamhuis (2) - Weber (2)
Irwin (2)

TOTAL: 260

Expecting a big year for Hartman and Fiala, little regress from Smith, could bank more on Tolvanen if he gets a solid chance after some AHL time. Don't expect so many bounces to go Subban's way. Everyone else pretty much the same, Joey obviously has potential for more than that but he has two solid scorers next to him. Also expecting Watson to come out blazing after the suspension.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->