Goals and assists question

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I have a bit of an odd question, one that I didn't know how to succinctly word, hence the vague title. Apologize for that...

Anyway, what I am trying to figure out is how many goals are unassisted and how many did not have a secondary assist?

Let's use last year for example. Is there a way to sum up the total goals scored league wide and then look at how many of those goals 1) were unassisted 2) only featured 1 assist. Bonus for if it can be broken down by PP and Even Strength as well.

I don't really know where to begin to try and answer that question.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I have a bit of an odd question, one that I didn't know how to succinctly word, hence the vague title. Apologize for that...

Anyway, what I am trying to figure out is how many goals are unassisted and how many did not have a secondary assist?

Let's use last year for example. Is there a way to sum up the total goals scored league wide and then look at how many of those goals 1) were unassisted 2) only featured 1 assist. Bonus for if it can be broken down by PP and Even Strength as well.

I don't really know where to begin to try and answer that question.

Featured only one assist is easy, that's just primary assists. Corsica and Natural stat trick have it and can do strengths. NHL.com might have it burried somewhere but I forget where.

Unassisted requires a little math and a CSV file in a spreadsheet.

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Natural stat trick > players > individual > all strengths > submit.

At the very bottom click CSV(ALL) which will give you a dump text file of every players stats.
Load it into excel or libre office or something.
Use SUM on the column for goals. Sum on the Column for Primary assists (NSS calls them first assist, I was going to use Corsica but unsurprisingly it's broken at the moment). Subtract the two. Result is the number of unassisted goals.

In the case of 19-20 thus far, the answer is 111 unassisted goals. 1506 total goals, 1395 first assists. That was probably as of a few days ago I don't think they update their data every second.

Assuming both that I did it right and that the stats counters are accurate :laugh:

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
You scrape, and you put it in the db, and then you count :)
My db setup allows for such counts.
For example, all situations, this season:

> db.GOAL.find({so: 0, season: 2019, stage: 2}).count();

> db.GOAL.find({so: 0, season: 2019, stage: 2, assist2: {$exists: false}}).count();
> db.GOAL.find({so: 0, season: 2019, stage: 2, assist1: {$exists: false}}).count();

I can query more, by more or less any split, but that will not be free.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->