Goalies: Wood or composite/carbon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSBPC

Jan 19, 2005
Do any goalies here use any of the new composite goalie sticks? I never considered getting one when they first came out but at this point I am breaking a twig every other week and I can't afford it anymore. If anyone here uses or has used one, can you answer a few questions for me?

Durability: Are they unbreakable? How long do they last? If I am going to drop $125-150 on a stick it damn well better last.

Feel: I am used to wood sticks, obviously. How different is the feeling of the puck hitting the stick compared to wood? When I pick one up in a store it feels light, too light for my liking. How difficult is it too adjust to?

Any input would be appreciated, I am on a limited budget so I do not want go out and buy one. I thought about borrowing one but none of my goalie friends use them either.

Thanks in advance.

Tried one once. Really hated the feel of it. It was so light That I had to concentrate fully on keeping it on the ice and I had a hell of a time controlling rebounds with it. A goalie friend of mine uses them and he puts like 3 or 4 layers of tape on it to deaden the puck on it. About the only thing I liked about it was shooting.

Can't speak to durability though as I only borrowed for one game.

Still I can't justify that kind of money for something that will for sure break. It's just a matter of how soon. But then I only play once a week. I find the wood sticks are cyclical. A couple of years ago I went through five in one season. Now I am still using the same stick I used all of last year without so much as a crack in it. <touch wood>

RSBPC

Jan 19, 2005
Malefic74 said:
Tried one once. Really hated the feel of it. It was so light That I had to concentrate fully on keeping it on the ice and I had a hell of a time controlling rebounds with it. A goalie friend of mine uses them and he puts like 3 or 4 layers of tape on it to deaden the puck on it. About the only thing I liked about it was shooting.

Can't speak to durability though as I only borrowed for one game.

Still I can't justify that kind of money for something that will for sure break. It's just a matter of how soon. But then I only play once a week. I find the wood sticks are cyclical. A couple of years ago I went through five in one season. Now I am still using the same stick I used all of last year without so much as a crack in it. <touch wood>

The weight and feel is one of my biggest conern about the sticks...but I's really like to know how durable they are. If they last, I may have to suck it up and get one...Better to spend $150 once a season than $60 twice a month...

Goalie27*

I use one and I like it... The heel is somewhat cracked, but it's holding together (just taped over it and it's fine). I like the light weight, so if you don't, then you might not want one. It seems to vibrate a little bit more than wooden sticks when shots hit it. I prefer it over my old wooden stick, but I guess you'd have to try one to know for yourself. And they're definitely durable. I've had my TPS XHale (which is discontinued I think) for like 3 years now (although I don't play too often anymore).

I don't know how much help that is, there's no way for you to really know unless you try one. If you're concerned with breaking wooden sticks all the time, it might be worth it to buy a composite and try it out for a while, then if you don't like it just keep it around as a backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->