Recalled/Assigned: Goalies waived

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
Because waivers take 24 hrs to process and both guys are on 1way contracts

Rosters have to be sent in tomorrow hence waiving them both today

DevilsAnimal*

What the . . ? Looks like Feaster's lost his mind.

Oh, and Byron was waived as well. Good to see that 2nd round pick Feaster traded being put to good use. :shakehead

please dont plox

need both in abby

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I covered both of those and Modin was brought in to add some depth incase we make the playoffs I am not going to cry over it. I understand the idea of getting Byron he was having a great season in the ahl but I thought a 3rd would be enough. PL3 was a terrible trade I don't get it, but I still think if Ward opened things up we would see players like Byron do much better and learn more.

No ones crying over it, but if you consider all three trades together, and Feaster prior history, they don't exactly paint a pretty picture of his ability to properly evaluate pro talent.

I'm not a fan tbh. I hope Feaster has something planned with Ramo.

Unless Ramo has an out clause in his contract, there isn't a chance he's coming over.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
No ones crying over it, but if you consider all three trades together, and Feaster prior history, they don't exactly paint a pretty picture of his ability to properly evaluate pro talent.

The GM doesn't evaluate talent nearly as much as scouts all that says to me is that the scouts we had last year weren't as good as we thought which is why Feaster has brought in Weisbrod etc.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The GM doesn't evaluate talent nearly as much as scouts all that says to me is that the scouts we had last year weren't as good as we thought which is why Feaster has brought in Weisbrod etc.

GM's can lean on their scouts for assessment and opinion, but the GM still has the final call. I know he brought in Weisbrod, which he does deserve credit for but I don't recall him changing the scouting staff much.

As an aside, at this point I'm hoping Ward gets poached by another team in the up coming off season. Becoming less and less of a fan of his coaching style. Ideally, the Flames could forgo the politics and just hire a developmental coach for what is essentially a developmental league.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
So if neither are claimed, would we see a revolving door of backup goalies back and forth to Abbotsford?

If both clear, they're exempt from waivers for 30 days. After that, they'd have to be waived again.

But that could be a possibility to give them both a chance in the first month of the season, then make a decision.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
From the Waiver topic in the trades area

I didn't get through everything but I think people are overreacting and making poor assumptions based on the Flames waiving both goaltenders.

First, waiving someone does not mean they have been cut or will be demoted for sure. It just means in 24 hours they can demote them.

Second, today the Flames scrimmage featured Irving and Kalrsson as the 2 goaltenders since Kipper was given a day off, so since they were neck and neck with no clear favorite after yesterday they needed today to decide who would be their pick, so either they had to rush their pick, put both on the opening day roster or waive both.

Third, how often are players grabbed on waivers when cuts are being made? There is a few here and there but you only get a handful every year, the odds of both being claimed are extremely slim, even the odds are against one of them being picked.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Why put it to chance? Is it possible Irving could be picked up off waivers? Yes
Is it possible that they select Irving to be the back-up? Yes.

So what happens if the stars align and you lose your backup? What if a divisional rival takes your backup, forcing you to play the lesser goaltender? Blame it on bad luck?

A good manager would have the stones to pick a goalie and waive the other

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com

So what happens if the stars align and you lose your backup? What if a divisional rival takes your backup, forcing you to play the lesser goaltender? Blame it on bad luck?

Well when they both clear tomorrow Feaster will be a great manager, because he correctly assessed that they would both clear and was able to have an extra day to make his decisions instead of relying on having "stones".

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

They have been dead even, that means there isn't much to pick from between the two. This also means since they are so close losing one or the other really wouldn't hurt much if at all.

Now I am an advocate of Irving, I think he is underrated but because of his poor AHL time this year I highly doubt any team will risk claiming him to make him a full-time NHLer because while I still believe he has the ability to someday be a starter there should be questions about whether or not he is NHL ready right now.

Karlsson is in the same boat, except I don't see him having the upside, he is a borderline NHL goaltender at the moment and I very much doubt a team will guarantee him a spot.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Well when they both clear tomorrow Feaster will be a great manager, because he correctly assessed that they would both clear and was able to have an extra day to make his decisions instead of relying on having "stones".

If they don't? Your pretty certain they will clear but the Islanders have been busy breaking the trend, so it does happen.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

He didn't assess ****, he rolled the dice. Obviously if Flames fans are passionate about their goalies, then people who get paid to compete with the top minds in hockey are paying attention. This could potentially have huge consequences, and a good manager isn't one who gambles when it isn't necessary

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He didn't assess ****, he rolled the dice. Obviously if Flames fans are passionate about their goalies, then people who get paid to compete with the top minds in hockey are paying attention. This could potentially have huge consequences, and a good manager isn't one who gambles when it isn't necessary
You must have some kind of hate for Feaster if you actually think this wasn't a calculated decision, if you actually believe anyone reaches the top of management in professional sports by "rolling the dice" you are nuts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad