Goalies: Shorter stick to help with puckhandling / stick length

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
I heard a week or so ago on HNIC that some goalie (possibly Price? but I can't remember for sure) used a much shorter goalie stick to help with shooting and playing the puck. I have never cut my goalie sticks in my career (going by the adage that if there's more of me in the net there's more chance I'll stop the puck, even if it's as miniscule as the shaft of a stick), but after I heard this it was almost like a lightbulb went off.

Obviously now that I've thought about it, I only very rarely happen to make a fluke save with that part of the shaft, and even then they're usually risers that I just barely miss with my blocker and so they still hit the lower part of it. It would limit the amount of extension you had available for poke-checks, but even then I can't remember the last time I made or even attempted a full-extension poke-check. In my recollection, most of mine seem to be made in-close or at the side of the net. So I can't think of an opportunity where I would truly miss having that long extension on the top of my stick.

Has anyone tried it? As a goalie I'm no more than an average puckhandler, but when I envision having a shorter stick it seems like it could actually help. Just wondering if anyone else out there has tried it before I go and cut off a stick for nothing.

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
I heard a week or so ago on HNIC that some goalie (possibly Price? but I can't remember for sure) used a much shorter goalie stick to help with shooting and playing the puck. I have never cut my goalie sticks in my career (going by the adage that if there's more of me in the net there's more chance I'll stop the puck, even if it's as miniscule as the shaft of a stick), but after I heard this it was almost like a lightbulb went off.

Obviously now that I've thought about it, I only very rarely happen to make a fluke save with that part of the shaft, and even then they're usually risers that I just barely miss with my blocker and so they still hit the lower part of it. It would limit the amount of extension you had available for poke-checks, but even then I can't remember the last time I made or even attempted a full-extension poke-check. In my recollection, most of mine seem to be made in-close or at the side of the net. So I can't think of an opportunity where I would truly miss having that long extension on the top of my stick.

Has anyone tried it? As a goalie I'm no more than an average puckhandler, but when I envision having a shorter stick it seems like it could actually help. Just wondering if anyone else out there has tried it before I go and cut off a stick for nothing.

here is some good reading on the subject.

http://www.goaliestore.com/board/equipment-forum/66677-cut-goalie-stick.html

I say no cutting a balanced stick. just learn to shoot and pass with whatever length stick you buy.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
I cut mine maybe 3 or 4 inches.

A small amount isn't going to screw with stick balance.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
I really can't see "stick balance" being an issue - when you consider practically all the weight of your stick is already on the ice-side of your hand and the shaft is no more than a few ounces. Especially when you consider we're talking minor modifications, not removing all of the shaft up to your elbow. Sounds like a red herring to me.

And as far as learning to shoot with the stick length you buy - they don't preach that to players, why should it apply to goaltenders? A short man doesn't learn to shoot with a tall man's stick (unless he has a good reason, at least - which we have none at the moment).

I'm not opposed to not cutting the stick, per se, but neither of those two arguments seem very strong to me.

blueberrydanish

May 5, 2009
I use a longer stick anyways as a skater, and as goalie the only thing that really hinders my ability to play the puck is my catcher, so the stick length isnt the issue there.

I guess the real thing is just matching it up with whatever you are comfortable with period, if you play with a shorter stick as a forward naturally youd probably be much comfortable with a shorter goalie stick for handling the puck.

Then of course like you said factor in the slim chance the extra length helps make a save...or helps get that extra inch on a full poke check.

Another pros vs cons that will differ between every player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad