Goalies in the 2011 Draft

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
What round is he expected to go?

You know, goalers are very unpredictable. I could see 1 being taken late in the 1st round, but majority of them around 3rd-5th.

From watching throughout this year of goaler prospects I have John Gibson of American as the best goaler in this draft.

As noted above,

Magnus Hellberg
Chris Gibson

Along with,

Liam Liston
Laurent Brossoit
Matej Machovsky
Jaroslav Pavelka
Steffan Steen
Eric Williams
Jordan Binnington
David Honzik

Are other prospects to watch for, but overall this is a pretty weak class of goaltending this year.

Also look for free agents Darcy Kuemper and Antonio Mastropietro in the offseason.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
You know, goalers are very unpredictable. I could see 1 being taken late in the 1st round, but majority of them around 3rd-5th.

From watching throughout this year of goaler prospects I have John Gibson of American as the best goaler in this draft.

As noted above,

Magnus Hellberg
Chris Gibson

Along with,

Liam Liston
Laurent Brossoit
Matej Machovsky
Jaroslav Pavelka
Steffan Steen
Eric Williams
Jordan Binnington
David Honzik

Are other prospects to watch for, but overall this is a pretty weak class of goaltending this year.

Also look for free agents Darcy Kuemper and Antonio Mastropietro in the offseason.

You're missing that one Finn, who many say might actually be the best goalie in the entire class this year.

Fack, what's his name?

But yeah, I like both Gibsons, the Finn and Hellberg as my top 4.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway

As noted above,

Magnus Hellberg
Chris Gibson

Along with,

Liam Liston
Laurent Brossoit
Matej Machovsky
Jaroslav Pavelka
Steffan Steen
Eric Williams
Jordan Binnington
David Honzik

The Finn RS is talking about is Samu Perhonen. And Kuemper was drafted by the Wild in '09.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Søberg is interesting. He's playing in a mens league on a bad team and has done pretty well. He also played well during the WJC (maybe except the game against Canada).

On the other hand, Volden wasn't taken last year. Both of them could be taken in a late round I think.

spikelechien

Jan 8, 2007
Braeshore
Al Jensen's (Central Scouting) discussion re goalies.......

http://www.nhl.com/ice/post.htm?id=589

I would hope he would do a little better than his mid-term rankings but to be fair he doesn't have much to go with. This year is so bad for Canadian-born goalies that Team Canada is going to go with a 2012 draft year goalie as one of the U18's (Malcolm Subban, PK' s brother).

The goalie guru, Jerry Shields, has a site which statistically ranks the goalies performance to date. Here is his site - http://goalierankings.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=106:march-8-partial-update&catid=16:articles

The latest rankings show the following:
Minor Pro Goaltender
1 Christopher Gibson CHI (QMJHL)
2 Tadeas Galansky SAG (OHL)
3 Matej Machovsky BRA (OHL)
Major Junior Starter
4 John Gibson USA (USHL)
5 Eric Williams P.A (WHL)
6 Andrey Makarov LEW (QMJHL)
7 Robert Steeves AB (QMJHL)
8 Adam Wilcox GB (USHL)
9 Mike Morrison KIT (OHL)
10 Franky Palazzese KNG (OHL)
Major Junior Backup
11 John Keeney OMA (USHL)
12 Matt Morris DB (USHL)
13 Mac Engel SPK (WHL)
14 Luke Siemens EVT (WHL)
15 Matt Hewitt REG (WHL)

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
Id say best Goalies, no order, would Be Both Gibsons, Perhonen, Hellberg, Liston, Machovsky, Broissoit. Other guys like Pavelka, Steen, Honzik, Williams, Mahalak, Siemens, Binnington and Galansky are likely to go. Then some darkhorses to get drafted could be Soberg and Volden, Wilcox, Teichroeb, Conz ( because of size unfortunately ) Kasdorf, Obernesser and others that ikelechien mentioned.

Best FA goalies would be guys like James Reid, Lucas Gore, John Muse, Scott Gudmandson, Aaron Dell, Adam Brown, Nathan Lieuwen and Drew Owsley. I'm sure theres some 20 year olds in the OHL and QMJHL that may be signed/invited, but I don't follow either as closely as the Dub.

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
Matt Mahalak could be a steal in this draft. He was considered to be a 1st/2nd rounder a year or so ago and had a terrible start to his rookie season and through December had a 4.54 GAA and .848 save% in 8 games, hence his terrible midterm ranking. However, he really stepped it up in the second half of the season, and in the remaining 13 games he played, he had a 2.24 GAA and .937 save%. Plymouth does a prettty good job of developing goalies. Their last four starters over the last 4 years all went in the 2nd or 3rd round (Hackett, Neuvirth, Scott Wedgewood, and Jeremy Smith) Granted, Neuvirth did get drafted before he played a single game with them.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I was wondering what became of Samu Perhonen... Earlier a few posters on here were "all up on" him.

Why do some scouts have Chris Gibson over John Gibson? From what I read John Gibson is having a year that's comparable to what Campbell had last year.

spikelechien

Jan 8, 2007
Braeshore
I was wondering what became of Samu Perhonen... Earlier a few posters on here were "all up on" him.

Why do some scouts have Chris Gibson over John Gibson? From what I read John Gibson is having a year that's comparable to what Campbell had last year.

Samu Perhonen is rated the #1 draft year goalie by the goalie guru, Jerry Shields. His rankings may be found on his website @http://www.goalierankings.com/ His rankings are based on current performances.

Bear in mind that he doesn’t cover all leagues so some goalies such as Jaroslav Pavelka or Stephen Michalek would not be included. Also, he does not include overagers in his list so you would be missing guys like Magnus Hellberg and Michael Houser as well.

Here is his most recent list:
Minor Pro Starter/Fringe NHL Goalie
1 Samu Perhonen JYP (FIN)
Minor Pro Goaltender
2 Christopher Gibson CHI (QMJHL)
3 Niklas Kekki Ässät (FIN)
4 Tadeas Galansky SAG (OHL)
5 Matej Machovsky BRA (OHL)
Major Junior Starter
6 John Gibson USA (USHL)
7 Eric Williams P.A (WHL)
8 Andrey Makarov LEW (QMJHL)
9 Robert Steeves AB (QMJHL)
10 Adam Wilcox GB (USHL)
11 Mikael Edelmann Tappara (FIN)
12 Mike Morrison KIT (OHL)
13 Franky Palazzese KNG (OHL)
Major Junior Backup
14 John Keeney OMA (USHL)
15 Matt Morris DB (USHL)

Does not include certain leagues
Jaroslav Pavelka HK (CZE-U18)
Stephen Michalek LC (HS CT)
Peter Traber SSM (HS MN)
Alex Lyon LOW (HS MN)
Does not include overagers
Magnus Hellberg Alm (SWE-2)
Michael Houser LON (OHL)
Jonas Gunnarson HV71 (SWE U20)
Lars Volden BLU (FIN U20)

Last edited:

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Yeah, I think Michael Houser will be drafted. He was great in London this season, and was amazing in the playoffs for them against the #1 rated Owen Sound Attack.

I could easily see a team draft him in the 6th or 7th round. He was outstanding for a so-so London team.

Hamilton35

Jan 21, 2009
Yeah, I think Michael Houser will be drafted. He was great in London this season, and was amazing in the playoffs for them against the #1 rated Owen Sound Attack.

I could easily see a team draft him in the 6th or 7th round. He was outstanding for a so-so London team.

From what I understand, he has a a medical condition with his feet that scares off NHL teams.

Am I the only one that is starting to question U-18 program goalies? I have a hard time thinking of one that has lived up to the hype. Was Quick one?

I havent seen any of the Euro goalies, but I wouldnt draft any of the NA goalies in the top 3 rounds.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
From what I understand, he has a a medical condition with his feet that scares off NHL teams.

Am I the only one that is starting to question U-18 program goalies? I have a hard time thinking of one that has lived up to the hype. Was Quick one?

I havent seen any of the Euro goalies, but I wouldnt draft any of the NA goalies in the top 3 rounds.

Weird, I've never heard that. Although, I don't follow the knights as much as I did in past years.

Still, would he not be worth a 7th round pick? If he doesn't make it it's not as if the team can say.. "Well that was a waste of a pick".

Houser was the only reason London took Owen Sound to 6 games. Absolutely outstanding.

Hamilton35

Jan 21, 2009
Weird, I've never heard that. Although, I don't follow the knights as much as I did in past years.

Still, would he not be worth a 7th round pick? If he doesn't make it it's not as if the team can say.. "Well that was a waste of a pick".

Houser was the only reason London took Owen Sound to 6 games. Absolutely outstanding.

Hes a great goalie I agree.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

And I would still takes US's WJC duo over Canada's WJC.

Houser will get drafted. He's too good not too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad