Goalies from 2002 NHL Draft. Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

O.T.

Mar 9, 2002
City of Champions
Visit site
After tallying the votes, Goepfert slid into the top ten with 5 votes. And for the second goalie to be named to the big ten there was a tie between Ford and Mensator.

Rank in order from 1-11, and the #11 goalie will be eliminated to make the top 10. To make this list put the goalies in order, and the position that you put a goalie in, he will acquire that many points. For example, if Mensator was ranked 7th, he would get seven points. And the goalie with the lowest amount of points will be first and the list will work like that the whole way through.

Here is the list of eligable goalies:

-Stephan
-Ford
-Mensator
-Daigneault
-Toivonen
-Lehtonen
-Ward
-Deslauriers
-Lenevue
-Harding
-Goepfert

O.T.

Mar 9, 2002
City of Champions
Visit site
I did'nt vote in part 1, but I'm going to make a list for part 2.

Here it goes:

1.Lehtonen
2.Toivonen
3.Deslauriers
4.Harding
5.Stephan
6.Ward
7.Lenevue
8.Goepfert
9.Daigneault
10.Ford
11.Mensator

st_roland

Hossa said:
1) Lehtonen
2) Toivonen
3) Leneveu
4) Harding
5) Daigneault
6) JDD
7) Ward
8) Stephan
9) Geophfert
10) Mensator
11) Ford

I Agree

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
toivonen is IMO not really far from Lehtonen and im a hated habs fan !!
toivonen is a future franchise goalie (dont know if he willl turn out ot be a franchise goalie with raycroft in front of him!)

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
Windowlicker, and Cariboux seem pretty low on Toivonen. He is a Future Franchise Goalie and that will be a dilemma in 2-3 years for the Bruins. Who do you choose?
That is really not a bad problem though b/c they will prob be forced to trade one and both would get alot back in return
Here's my list
1.Lehtonen
2.Toivonen
3.Deslauriers
4.Harding
5.Daigneault
6.Stephan
7.Ward
8.Lenevue
9.Goepfert
10.Ford
11.Mensator

I don't know much about the Bottom 5 really

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Kryoptix said:
toivonen is IMO not really far from Lehtonen and im a hated habs fan !!
toivonen is a future franchise goalie (dont know if he willl turn out ot be a franchise goalie with raycroft in front of him!)

Having watched Hannu Toivonen since juniors, there is no doubt in my mind that he will be a franchise goalie. When he comes to the scene in Boston, it will take a lot for Raycroft to stop him from taking over the starting role immediately. Hannu has and will continue to dominate games on a consistent basis.

I will even go as far to say that he will be a better goalie than Lehtonen when they establish themselves in the NHL :teach:

:bow: to the Hannu

Damien

Jul 26, 2002
Calgary, Alberta
Visit site
1)Kari Lehtonen
2)Hannu Toivonen
3)Josh Harding
4)David Lenevue
5)Bobby Geopfert
6)Tobias Stephan
7)Cam Ward
8)Lukas Mensator
9)Jeff Deslauriers
10)Todd Ford
11)Maxime Daigneault

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Disco Volante said:
I think you're the only one in the thread who actually knows about Leneveu (with Lalalalalala machin)... Good ranking.
Obviously, they're not even spelling his name right, and of course no one knows about Yotes prospects. LeNeveu still gets no respect around here, he only broke all of Ken Dryden's records at Cornell last year while leading his team to the frozen four, and played in the AHL all-star game in his rookie year. :dunno:

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
1.)Kari Lehtonen
2.)Hannu Toivonen
3.)David LeNeveu
4.)Cam Ward
5.)Josh Harding
6.)Tobias Stephan
7.)Jeff Deslauriers
8.)Bobby Geopfert
9.)Maxime Daigneault
10.)Lukas Mensator
11.)Todd Ford

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I honestly don't see how Cam Ward is slipping so far on a lot of these lists. His numbers have been out of this world for Red Deer the past 3 seasons and he will probably win his 2nd WHL goaltender of the year award this year.

2001-02 Red Deer Rebels (WHL) 46 30 11 4 2.27 0.911 23 14 9 2.12 0.911
2002-03 Red Deer Rebels (WHL) 57 40 13 3 2.10 0.920 23 14 9 2.08 0.920
2003-04 Red Deer Rebels (WHL) 56 31 16 8 2.05 0.926 4 3 1 1.30 0.926

He was a first round draft selection as well as being a clutch playoff performer. What is it about this guy that i'm not seeing right? There is no prospect on that list outside of Lehtonen that can boast numbers like that. It's not all his defense in front of him either, as Woywitika is gone this year and his numbers were expected to decline a little, and they only got better. What gives?

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Caniacforever said:
I honestly don't see how Cam Ward is slipping so far on a lot of these lists. His numbers have been out of this world for Red Deer the past 3 seasons and he will probably win his 2nd WHL goaltender of the year award this year.

2001-02 Red Deer Rebels (WHL) 46 30 11 4 2.27 0.911 23 14 9 2.12 0.911
2002-03 Red Deer Rebels (WHL) 57 40 13 3 2.10 0.920 23 14 9 2.08 0.920
2003-04 Red Deer Rebels (WHL) 56 31 16 8 2.05 0.926 4 3 1 1.30 0.926

He was a first round draft selection as well as being a clutch playoff performer. What is it about this guy that i'm not seeing right? There is no prospect on that list outside of Lehtonen that can boast numbers like that. It's not all his defense in front of him either, as Woywitika is gone this year and his numbers were expected to decline a little, and they only got better. What gives?

I think part of the problem is that he has played on a fantastic team every year. I mean, look at Craig Hillier, everything you said about Ward was said about Hillier. There's also a certain hesitation about taking a WHL goalie in my mind at least. It just seems that they dont' produce as high quality young goaltenders as the QMJHL and to a lesser extent the OHL. That being said, my reasoning was simple: I don't see as much upside in Ward as I do Harding, JDD or Daigneault, who were all ahead of him. THe bottom line was that all four of those guys were picked very close to each other. Sure, Ward was a first rounder, but he was picked only a few slots higher than those other three guys, and hasn't done anything to prove to me he's better than Harding (CHL goalie of the year on a poor team), JDD (never played on a good team), or Daigneault (never played on a good team).

My ranking could really be grouped as follows:

1) Lehtonen

2) Toivonen
3) Leneveu

4) Harding
5) Daigneault
6) JDD
7) Ward
8) Stephan

9) Geophfert

10) Mensator
11) Ford

I could see #4-8 being turned upside down and I wouldn't object to it really. It's personal preference. I see more upside in JDD and Daigneault than I do Ward (maybe it's in large part becuase i've seen a fair bit more of the two QMJHL goalies) and I think Harding is the best of the pack for a number of reasons.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Well i've seen quite a bit of Ward from training camps at the NHL level, and he's an awesome goaltender. He outperformed Zepp, Weekes, DesRochers, Boisclaire, and Manzato pretty handidly. He's really relaxed in the net and i've noticed no real weakness in his game. Everything he does, he does well. The glove hand is probably the most noticeable aspect of his game.

I've just really taken issue with quite a few people who seem to think that Ward's team is the reason he has done so well. This year should have disregarded a lot of those doubts, but they didn't. While he still has Phaneuf in front of him, there isn't much else outside the first pairing. He plays in front of two 1987's and a 1986 on the blueline and his numbers have actually risen. I'm not saying he should be in the upper echelon like Lehtonen and possibly Toivonen, but he's certainly the best of the "second tier", if you ask me. I'm just not sure what else Ward could have done in his current situation to be considered a better prospect. Coming close to a 2.00 GAA in major junior is quite the feat, he has done it for three straight years and people still haven't given him his due respect.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Caniacforever said:
Well i've seen quite a bit of Ward from training camps at the NHL level, and he's an awesome goaltender. He outperformed Zepp, Weekes, DesRochers, Boisclaire, and Manzato pretty handidly. He's really relaxed in the net and i've noticed no real weakness in his game. Everything he does, he does well. The glove hand is probably the most noticeable aspect of his game.

I've just really taken issue with quite a few people who seem to think that Ward's team is the reason he has done so well. This year should have disregarded a lot of those doubts, but they didn't. While he still has Phaneuf in front of him, there isn't much else outside the first pairing. He plays in front of two 1987's and a 1986 on the blueline and his numbers have actually risen. I'm not saying he should be in the upper echelon like Lehtonen and possibly Toivonen, but he's certainly the best of the "second tier", if you ask me. I'm just not sure what else Ward could have done in his current situation to be considered a better prospect. Coming close to a 2.00 GAA in major junior is quite the feat, he has done it for three straight years and people still haven't given him his due respect.

He hasn't done anything to distance himself from Harding, JDD or Daigneault though. I mean, goalies aren't just evaluated from a statistical point of view either. Otherwise, Kelly Guard would top this list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad