Goalies: 2007 Draft, Round 1?

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
It looks like most publications are not putting ANY goalies in their Round 1 predictions for the 2007 Draft.

So are there any goalies in this 2007 Draft that have the potential to be a #1 in the NHL? Or are the goalie prospects really that bad?

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
It looks like most publications are not putting ANY goalies in their Round 1 predictions for the 2007 Draft.

So are there any goalies in this 2007 Draft that have the potential to be a #1 in the NHL? Or are the goalie prospects really that bad?

Jeremy Smith is a solid goaltender, who I think would be the first goaltender taken in the draft. If he does not go in the late stages of first, then I definitely see him going in early second.

Mark Owuya and Joel Gistedt are not far behind and all could go anywhere from 2nd- to late, it all depends on a team's need.

IMO, the Goalie bunch is deep this season. I'd rank them like this.

1. Jeremy Smith
2. Joel Gistedt
3. Kent Patterson
4. Trevor Cann
5. Mark Owuya
6. Tyson Sexsmith

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK
Some goalies might have the potential, but may not have much chance of fulfilling it. Having said that, I'm sure that at least one team will take a chance on a keeper in the 1st - it almost always seems to happen. Would most likely be late 1st round by a team with multiple 1st rounders.

I think it's more likely to see several goalies go in the 2nd round with a team's 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft - the top guys like Trevor Cann, Jeremy Smith, Linden Rowatt, Mark Owuya etc.

Don't forget how difficult it is to predict how keepers are going to pan out. Right now it might not look like any of these guys are sure-fire starters in the NHL, perhaps 1B or career Back-ups. In a couple of years they might have progressed immensely to be bluechip no1 keeper prospects (eg Justin Pogge, Thomas Greiss) or equally fall off the scale the other way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad