Goalie Training/Workouts

AceKing21

Oct 19, 2021
Central NY
Just recently got back into the net after taking about 17 years off of playing. I am currently playing 2 days a week, one day of in-line and one day of Dek hockey. I typically stay in decent shape overall, I am a 3-4 days a week guy at the gym. I normally do intermittent running on the treadmill to try and keep my stamina levels at what I thought was a good. Usually I run for about 1 mile, work up a good sweat and then proceed with lifting weights. However, I am noticing that by midway through the games, I am completely exhausted and need to do whatever I can do catch my breath and recover. I am looking for any type of specific workout to build the endurance up so that I can at least not feel like I am going to die. Any suggestions are welcomed and thanks in advance.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Just recently got back into the net after taking about 17 years off of playing. I am currently playing 2 days a week, one day of in-line and one day of Dek hockey. I typically stay in decent shape overall, I am a 3-4 days a week guy at the gym. I normally do intermittent running on the treadmill to try and keep my stamina levels at what I thought was a good. Usually I run for about 1 mile, work up a good sweat and then proceed with lifting weights. However, I am noticing that by midway through the games, I am completely exhausted and need to do whatever I can do catch my breath and recover. I am looking for any type of specific workout to build the endurance up so that I can at least not feel like I am going to die. Any suggestions are welcomed and thanks in advance.

Are you playing on a surface that's close to a full size rink and with stoppages of play? Or is the opposite true where you're playing on a small surface with no stoppages. If it's on a small surface with no stoppages it will be difficult to recover as the only opportunities to catch your breath is when the play is at the other end of the rink.

AceKing21

Oct 19, 2021
Central NY
Are you playing on a surface that's close to a full size rink and with stoppages of play? Or is the opposite true where you're playing on a small surface with no stoppages. If it's on a small surface with no stoppages it will be difficult to recover as the only opportunities to catch your breath is when the play is at the other end of the rink.

For in-line, its full rink with stoppages if goalies cover the puck and if the puck goes out of play. It's usually during those games where the opponent controls the zone and is taking 3-4 shots before my team gets possession is where I get the heavy breathing and am unable to fully recover by the time they enter our zone again. For the first 2 periods, I'm solid, but as the game goes on, I'm gasping and find myself looking at the clock praying it hits 0:00.

For Dek, we play cross rink, with zero stoppages. The only time the game stops is if the ball goes out of play and within 10 seconds a new ball is thrown in to continue. We play running time, (4) 12 minute periods. I would say the average SOG are between 40-50 per game.

I prob should throw into the equation I am 48, but still feel like I am 28, up until I started playing goalie again LOL.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I played goalie for 2 years and really the only "exercises" I'd do were stretches. (The Splits, Lunges, etc.)

Eventually had to move back to a forward because how terrible it was on my knee's and having to go against grown men as a 16 year old girl hurt.

AceKing21

Oct 19, 2021
Central NY
I played goalie for 2 years and really the only "exercises" I'd do were stretches. (The Splits, Lunges, etc.)

Eventually had to move back to a forward because how terrible it was on my knee's and having to go against grown men as a 16 year old girl hurt.
It can be rough on the knees. I played from ages 12-31 at least 2 times per week. Then just started playing again a couple of months ago. When I was a young, I played with guys that were in their late 30's - early 40's and they always said after the games, "kid don't get old". I never knew what they meant at the time, but now I fully understand and it sucks!

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
It can be rough on the knees. I played from ages 12-31 at least 2 times per week. Then just started playing again a couple of months ago. When I was a young, I played with guys that were in their late 30's - early 40's and they always said after the games, "kid don't get old". I never knew what they meant at the time, but now I fully understand and it sucks!
I was an undersized goalie that played butterfly; the amount of pucks that hit me in the head was unreal. :laugh:

AceKing21

Oct 19, 2021
Central NY
I was an undersized goalie that played butterfly; the amount of pucks that hit me in the head was unreal. :laugh:

I have played 4 games now since returning to net. I have been blasted in the head 4 times. Once while in ready stance and 3 times while in butterfly. It's a pretty competitive Dek hockey group with some of the guys really having some major big slapshots. I'm using a Bauer NME8 which is perfect for Dek and In-Line with very minimal ringing.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I have played 4 games now since returning to net. I have been blasted in the head 4 times. Once while in ready stance and 3 times while in butterfly. It's a pretty competitive Dek hockey group with some of the guys really having some major big slapshots. I'm using a Bauer NME8 which is perfect for Dek and In-Line with very minimal ringing.
I've considered getting back into the sport. Likely as a skater but I had a lot of good memories as a goalie even with being covered in bruises. I couldn't tell you what helmet I had but I know I had a complete TPS set I got inspired by Ersberg which I believe went out of business? Because I used the sticks too which I can't find anymore.

2293129802_064a43616a_b.jpg

AceKing21

Oct 19, 2021
Central NY
If you get back into net, you'll need to figure out what your playstyle will be and get leg pads according to that style. It's been fun with the exception of buying the equipment. I bought most of my stuff used with the exception of helmet and cup. Didnt want anyone's 2nd hand sweat on my head or near my private areas LOL.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
I've considered getting back into the sport. Likely as a skater but I had a lot of good memories as a goalie even with being covered in bruises. I couldn't tell you what helmet I had but I know I had a complete TPS set I got inspired by Ersberg which I believe went out of business? Because I used the sticks too which I can't find anymore.

2293129802_064a43616a_b.jpg
I used to see a bunch of you at goalie camps. Was a popular set back in the day

You should check out Maria Mountain on YouTube. All goalie specific strength and conditioning

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad