Proposal: Goalie Situation

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Bonsai is correct - I want to see Hill get a ton of starts in the AHL over this year and parts of next season, as well. I am not saying that he needs to spend the next 5 years in Tucson, but his window to the NHL is wide open, and frankly, should happen within the next two years or so.

That was why I had the idea in my head that if the expansion draft were to have occurred for Seattle to play in 2020-21 season, it may make sense to expose Raanta and sign a goalie to a $3.0 - 4.9M deal, like Greiss and ride the hot hand between Greiss and Hill for that season. With Seattle starting in the 21-22 season, Hill should be the only goalie that we know of under contract, as Raanta and Kuemper will be done with their deals by then. Madsen and Miska will also be RFAs within that time, so it is looking like Hill, Madsen, and Miska, with the 21-22 options for FA as: Raanta, Reimer, Grubauer, Bernier, Dubnyk, and Allen. All of those guys could be our starter at about 50-55 games on the year, with Hill as the 20-30 game backup.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Also agree with Bonsai. Hill has looked very good and is developing very well but he's still developing. Having him freeze up on the bench as the backup to Raanta would harm his development. That said, unless something changes, I highly doubt we're going to extend Kuemper after his current contract expires.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Trade Raanta for Tarasenko.

Not kidding. Would be a Chayka type of bold move. Would be a fit too.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
Nope. Once everyone is healthy you send Hill down to Tucson and reevaluate next offseason
Interseting statement, haven't read ANYTHING on why Kuemper is still out, Raanta is made of porcelain glass, so Hill might be here for a LONG time. Gosh, the long turn injury bug absolutely KILLS the 'Yotes, oh wait, it's the 'Yotes... what was I thinking?

Reactions: Jakey53

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

I'm not opposed to a bold move. We're on the bubble as far as the playoffs go. If Hill / Kuemper continues to perform could be the move that pushes us over the top.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Still need to see how Hill reacts when teams have enough scouting info on him to find his weaknesses and capitalise on them. I’m sure some aspect of his game is weaker than the rest. What will be telling about him is how he works to shore that up.

You see new goalies come into the league and look great. Then a season or two later they’re on waivers and it’s because they did not adjust while everyone figured them out.

Additionally, he might breakdown after an extended stretch of games. That’s why a full season of being the starter in the AHL is the proper move. If he falters a little bit he’s not going to be demolished and lose all confidence as the competition isn’t as cutthroat as the NHL. We have Raanta coming back soon and Kuemper is a solid enough backup. It’s not like the team has to sacrifice his development in order to take a run at the cup this season.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
If somebody is willing to significantly overpay you have to listen, but otherwise back to the farm with Hill when everybody is healthy.

jdfitz12

Oct 11, 2008
Does Hill have to clear waivers to be sent back to Tucson? They mentioned it this morning on NHL Network radio that Yotes would need to carry 3 Goalies now

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

I don't think we could put together a package to get that done without hurting something else. Raanta isn't worth Tarasenko 1:1 when he's injured all the time. Even if he wasn't he might not be, goalies just don't hold a ton of value. Not to mention Tarasenko's money.

We've also seen what happens without goalie depth around here and it was not pretty. Imagine this stretch we're on right now if we had to start Pickard.

The only goalie I'd consider moving in-season is Kuemper and only when Raanta is ready and Hill simultaneously doesn't regress or go cold.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I don't think we could put together a package to get that done without hurting something else. Raanta isn't worth Tarasenko 1:1 when he's injured all the time. Even if he wasn't he might not be, goalies just don't hold a ton of value. Not to mention Tarasenko's money.
Blues have been a major underachiever and are reeling. They've got to be looking to shake things up and some rumblings recently have included Tarasenko who has struggled somewhat. Their goaltending has been really bad. It could work. Throw in Fischer if they are not desperate enough for 1:1.

I don't think it's an outlandish idea. Goalies are voodoo, but Raanta is one of the best goalies in the league when the planets align. After what Blues did in the offseason to produce results like this, one can imagine they'd be on the market for bold deals.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If we can get a 3rd rounder for Kuemper I’d look at it. I think Hill has earned an opportunity to move into a backup role as soon as next year. Maybe u keep Pickard and deal Keumper but I would want a draft pick and free up a roster spot.

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
If we can get a 3rd rounder for Kuemper I’d look at it. I think Hill has earned an opportunity to move into a backup role as soon as next year. Maybe u keep Pickard and deal Keumper but I would want a draft pick and free up a roster spot.
or maybe move Kuemper to bring back an upcoming UFA winger with size.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

That won't get you Tarasenko because of Raanta's injury history. IF Raanta can stay healthy and regain his form, then he is worth more to us than most any forward.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
or maybe move Kuemper to bring back an upcoming UFA winger with size.
If u can find an asset u like then do it. Hill’s play has given us comfort that we can make a move if the market is right. This is positive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->