Goalie Situation

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
We only have Bishop for the rest of this season

There is some confusion about his status. I've read that he's supposed to become a UFA this summer but some have said that since he signed a new contract before this season he will be a RFA next summer.

Capgeek shows him as a RFA at the end of his current deal

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Pretty much this.

Did we not just watch our divisional rivals make this exact mistake? Rolling two young, NHL-unproven goalies with a defensive system with a weak defensive unit in front of them?

We need a veteran guy who can hold his own this year - especially considering the defence is suspect.

Interesting how you pick the worse situations to make your point. There are other examples where young goalies have done exceeding well.

It also seems you missed the part where I clearly said if the Sens struggle early, then it is an ideal time to get the kids in playing and gain experience.

If the Sens defence is as suspect as you believe, Andy isn't going to save the season. He is good, but he isn't one of the top 10 in the league.

Last edited:

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Everyone is a little quick to presume Ottawa moves Bishop.
Another scenario could see the Sens move Anderson at the deadline.

There is no harm in the status quo for Ottawa.
Give Lehner a few more looks at the NHL level and send back to Bingo, leaving Anderson with Bishop as his backup. Bishop is an RFA at the end of the season, so there is no pressing worries about keeping him. Keeping Lehner and Bishop fits better with view of A Sens rebuild.

The only reason that this is being talked about is that Ottawa may need top four D, however the Sens have other assets to deal for that if the D proves too vulnerable early on.

The only way the Sens give all three a look is if Andy struggles IMO.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
There is some confusion about his status. I've read that he's supposed to become a UFA this summer but some have said that since he signed a new contract before this season he will be a RFA next summer.

Capgeek shows him as a RFA at the end of his current deal

He needs to play 7 games to maintain his RFA status.

I thought he needed to play more, I think I was going off before when we thought there would be a full season lockout

seanerixon

Alright, this actually has helped me a lot. For the most part, it seems like Lehner won't be given the reigns this season, unless Anderson shows a weak game within the first few starts. Which makes sense I guess. This actually helped me a bit with my goalie situation in my fantasy league, so thank you :)

kaws

Apr 10, 2010
I could see Lehner starting next year, and really am not sure whether I think he should be in Bingo or Ottawa this year

Lehner is ready for the NHL now... however if you look at the contracts of all three goalies, Lehner is the only one with the two-way. I'm quite sure Lehner will be sent down after a couple games, unless a goalie is dealt (which I hope doesn't; we've never had this good of a goalie situation before).

BlazingRoy

Cacaw
Dec 8, 2010
Anderson and Bishop will be the 1 - 2 punch up in the O. Lehner is 3 - 4 years away from a job in the NHL.

Lehner was ready last year. He's even more ready now.

Most likely gets sent down again and once the seasons ends or at the draft we package Bishop + to move up or grab a top 4 D man then Lehner backs up if not starts next year.

I've heard of seasoning but nobody puts a full salt and pepper shaker on their steak because it tastes like **** after that.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO nothing needs to be done in the short term, I would like to see Murray take his time & allow Bishop to play some games & hopefully increase his value. I think Murray can wait until almost the trade deadline or when some team loses a goalie & start looking for a replacement. My guess is that Murray will first try & get the best young defenceman he can from a team or more likely a 2nd rd pick.

Lehner has paid his dues in the AHL & most think he is NHL ready now so there is no reason to keep him waiting. Ottawa could use a 2nd rd pick this yr & why would Bishop want to stay in Ottawa knowing that Lehner has pretty much been crowned the future here. IMO Bishop will be traded at some point this season & it's just a matter of what the return will be. If I were Murray I would ask for the BPA (defenceman or forward) or a 2nd rounder. Dreidger will likely be in Bingo next yr & maybe Brassard & Lawson is doing fine for Bingo now.

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
IMO nothing needs to be done in the short term, I would like to see Murray take his time & allow Bishop to play some games & hopefully increase his value. I think Murray can wait until almost the trade deadline or when some team loses a goalie & start looking for a replacement. My guess is that Murray will first try & get the best young defenceman he can from a team or more likely a 2nd rd pick.

Lehner has paid his dues in the AHL & most think he is NHL ready now so there is no reason to keep him waiting. Ottawa could use a 2nd rd pick this yr & why would Bishop want to stay in Ottawa knowing that Lehner has pretty much been crowned the future here. IMO Bishop will be traded at some point this season & it's just a matter of what the return will be. If I were Murray I would ask for the BPA (defenceman or forward) or a 2nd rounder. Dreidger will likely be in Bingo next yr & maybe Brassard & Lawson is doing fine for Bingo now.

The bolded is such a BS statement. Paid his dues? Really? It's his job. The kid is 21 yrs old, everyone has been calling for him to be the starter for the past three seasons. Look I get it, everyone wants him to be the next Lundquist or Brodeur. Stop rushing it, you are not going to get instant gratification.

Mercurial

#lalala
Oct 29, 2009
On twitter, Andy starts against WPG. I'm surprised.

Sylvain St-Laurent ‏@Syl_St_Laurent
Craig Anderson affrontera les Jets. Anderson to start tomorrow. #Sens
Dean Brown ‏@PxPOttawa
Anderson starts lehner backs up tomorrow.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The bolded is such a BS statement. Paid his dues? Really? It's his job. The kid is 21 yrs old, everyone has been calling for him to be the starter for the past three seasons. Look I get it, everyone wants him to be the next Lundquist or Brodeur. Stop rushing it, you are not going to get instant gratification.

Well, he was the MVP of the playoffs when they won the Calder Cup & a number of people thought he should have been in Ottawa after that, I wasn't one of them though. He is in his 3rd/4th yr now & is having a pretty good yr in Bingo don't you think? Yes, he is young but from all accounts he is playing as well in Ottawa as the other two? I think it's inevitable that he will be in Ottawa either at the end of this season when Bishop is traded or next season. I'm not trying to rush him I just think he is ready & as I said I don't see why Bishop would want to resign with Ottawa knowing Lehner is the future #1. I find it hard to believe on any level that Lehner is in Bingo next yr.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Remember Clouston's Paddock's "win and you're in"?. How about "lose and you sit out"? Would be funny, from starter to press with three goalies.

Mercurial

#lalala
Oct 29, 2009
Why are people surprised our #1 goalie is starting game 1?

Because he hasn't played a meaningful game of hockey in about 270 days, whereas there's another goalie on the roster that's been doing it for the last 3 months and has a .945 save percentage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad