Goalie Situation

seanerixon

Hello Senator fans :cold:

Just wanted to stop by, and pick your brains if you will. I'm curious if anyone would have any insight to what the Sens are planing in terms of their goalie situation. I've been digging around, and come up with the whole, "It's still up in the air" agenda. Maybe one is sticking out more during the past few days at camp? Robin Lehner seems to be doing well during the lockout, with Bishop steadily behind. And Anderson not doing anything during the lockout has to make you wonder.. Any assumptions on who starts for the Sens for the first few games?

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
I think it's gonna be Andy and Lehner rotating for a week or two here to see if Lehner forces their hand or not. If he isn't playing great, the easiest solution is to just send him back down in Binghamton for a while.

If Lehner plays well, things get tougher, as the market for a guy like Bishop isn't that great right now.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Since it seems that Lehner is getting an opportunity to play. Then if he plays great, it will be him and Andy.

All likelihood, it will be Andy + Bishop as backup. In my opinion, to allow Lehner to play as much as possible.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
If Bishop plays well (assuming Anderson does as well), likely Lehner gets sent down (even if he plays the best)

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
I want Anderson + Bishop for us, and Lehner as #1 in Bingo for the Cup Run... Get as much out of Bishop as possible before he walks...

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Hope Murray signs or trades Bishop, and not let him walk.

Garrioch says Anderson starts in Winnipeg, but if that is the case then why is Lehner still here - unless he's really playing his way onto the team. That means someone will have to go as Bishop can not play AHL again.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Bishop is clearly a stop-gap measure.

It's just a question of how long we hold on to him.

I'm tempted to keep Lehner up all year because I still believe he's learned everything there is to know from the AHL.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Bishop was brought in to back up Andy and give Lehner more time to develop. He is ready now, just a matter of what the org wants to do.

A lot of people here want to trade Bishop to get something back for the 2nd we traded for him last year. No wants to trade Lehner, he is our future #1 goalie. Think Carey Price for us.

I am one of the few people that would be just as happy trading Anderson for something more and running Lehner/Bishop. But then people bring up Reimers/Scrivens as a comparison to show running with two rookie goalies is bad. But they forget that Lehner and Bishop are both better than those two.

To each their own I guess.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Bishop was brought in to back up Andy and give Lehner more time to develop. He is ready now, just a matter of what the org wants to do.

A lot of people here want to trade Bishop to get something back for the 2nd we traded for him last year. No wants to trade Lehner, he is our future #1 goalie. Think Carey Price for us.

I am one of the few people that would be just as happy trading Anderson for something more and running Lehner/Bishop. But then people bring up Reimers/Scrivens as a comparison to show running with two rookie goalies is bad. But they forget that Lehner and Bishop are both better than those two.

To each their own I guess.

I'd actually be ok with trading Anderson this season...eventually. We seem to have a free-for-all at the position now and it's prudent to see how the things shake out over the first few weeks of the season (at least) before taking any extraordinary measures. Lehner will get some games for sure. If he gets hot and stays consistent it makes things a lot easier to sort out.

metalfoot

Karlsson!
Dec 21, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
Lehner's played well enough that the Senators, for the first time I can remember---and I've been a Sens fan since I was (covers mouth) and they first came into being--- actually have 3 NHL-calibre goalies who need playing time.

Is it time to unleash the Lehner? Yes. But who can we trade Bishop to? The Islanders, so Bishop can take Queens? ;-)

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Wonder if a package around Anderson could return a player like Getzlaf.

Something like Anderson, Zibanejad, Condra/Daugavins, 1st for Getzlaf and Fowler (or Lindholm with a 3rd not 1st). Hiller is not really their answer in nets.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Anderson is the #1 guy. Although he's the "rustiest" of the 3. When he's ready, Lehner will be shipped back.

Bishop is the back up.

Lehner will start while he's up here, and when he's back in Bingo. Whether he has more to prove/learn in the AHL is irrelevant. He needs to keep playing somewhere.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
I don't think Lehner needs to keep playing when he's NHL ready. There are great goalies out there that have been backups and did not effect their NHL game very much.

Goalies such as Cory Schneider and Tuuka Rask have been backups for several years now, yet looking into this season they are still looking like top goalies this year for their respective teams.

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
It's amazing how Ottawa fans complain for years about how bad the goaltending is. Then we finally get three decent goalies and all of a sudden, it's a mad dash to trade one. We have the perfect situation here and everyone wants to rush Lehner into it. Just roll with Bishop as the backup for crying out loud. Another half a season in the AHL isn't going to ruin Lehner.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I don't think Lehner needs to keep playing when he's NHL ready. There are great goalies out there that have been backups and did not effect their NHL game very much.

Goalies such as Cory Schneider and Tuuka Rask have been backups for several years now, yet looking into this season they are still looking like top goalies this year for their respective teams.

I see your point, but those 2 aren't the greatest of examples since we have no idea how they'll perform in the starter's role. Rask did well in relief or by committee, and Schneider is 26, has only been a backup in the NHL, and played (after completing a College career) 36, 40, and 60 games in 3 AHL seasons.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
It's amazing how Ottawa fans complain for years about how bad the goaltending is. Then we finally get three decent goalies and all of a sudden, it's a mad dash to trade one. We have the perfect situation here and everyone wants to rush Lehner into it. Just roll with Bishop as the backup for crying out loud. Another half a season in the AHL isn't going to ruin Lehner.

It is about asset management. We are still rebuilding and we now have an extra piece that could demand a nice return (depending on who you trade)

Anderson could return a top 6 forward or a top 4 defender. Two things we are in need of.

Bishop could return a nice pick and/or prospect. Good for a rebuilding team.

Lehner is not allowed to be moved. I will go ape **** if he is. :madfire:

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario

Agreed, but Murray's job is to put the best team possible on the ice in Ottawa.

IMO Lehner has been the best goalie thru camp, believe the brain trust for the Sens agrees or Lehner would have gone back with Hoffman. With a shorten season there is little opportunity to experiment by giving all three playing time, therefore Lehner must have their attention.

Another consideration, Andy is usually a slow starter. I do believe he will get the nod in Winnipeg, but if he shows game rust and the team loses then things might get very interesting.

IMO Murray has to think long and hard about trading Bishop. While Andy does have 3 years left on his deal, will he be happy backing up Lehner for the next two seasons? Yes I believe Lehner will be the #1 guy sooner than later.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
It is about asset management. We are still rebuilding and we now have an extra piece that could demand a nice return (depending on who you trade)

Anderson could return a top 6 forward or a top 4 defender. Two things we are in need of.

Bishop could return a nice pick and/or prospect. Good for a rebuilding team.

Lehner is not allowed to be moved. I will go ape **** if he is. :madfire:

Thanks for the laugh!!!

If Murray decides a trade is the right thing to do at this time, I believe Andy is the logical choice.

He is a top 15 goalie in the league on a very friendly contract. He would definitely bring a best return. I am also not sure how content Andy would be backing up Lehner, something I believe could happen in the very near future.

IMO Murray will take a wait and see approach, if the team starts well showing not gaping holes Lehner will head back to Binghamton.

If the opposite occurs, then expect changes.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
My only concern with trading Anderson is that he is a PROVEN playoff goalie. He's had sparkling performances for both Colorado and Ottawa and you can tell he's the type of guy that thrives with the increased pressure. Imagine having Andy instead of Lalime during the Sens hey day?

We know Lehner can play in the playoffs too (Calder cup run). Bishop is the most unknown quantity there. I would rather us keep Anderson and Lehner and let them duke it out next year and move Bishop during the offseason.

Sucks that we finally have some sweet goaltenders and we have to move one at some point.

And don't look now...

http://whl.ca/article/driedger-vaughn-whl-goalie-of-the-month

DEPTH!!!!!

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com

Pretty much this.

Thanks for the laugh!!!

If Murray decides a trade is the right thing to do at this time, I believe Andy is the logical choice.

He is a top 15 goalie in the league on a very friendly contract. He would definitely bring a best return. I am also not sure how content Andy would be backing up Lehner, something I believe could happen in the very near future.

IMO Murray will take a wait and see approach, if the team starts well showing not gaping holes Lehner will head back to Binghamton.

If the opposite occurs, then expect changes.

Did we not just watch our divisional rivals make this exact mistake? Rolling two young, NHL-unproven goalies with a defensive system with a weak defensive unit in front of them?

We need a veteran guy who can hold his own this year - especially considering the defence is suspect.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
I say roll with Anderson and Bishop for most of this season, and then either at this draft or come next trade-deadline we should weigh our options.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Given how Anderson played last year, he's earned the right to keep playing as long as he likes IMO.

Unless he proves otherwise in rather dramatic fashion.

miser

Aug 2, 2005
Ottawa
I say roll with Anderson and Bishop for most of this season, and then either at this draft or come next trade-deadline we should weigh our options.

Everyone is a little quick to presume Ottawa moves Bishop.
Another scenario could see the Sens move Anderson at the deadline.

There is no harm in the status quo for Ottawa.
Give Lehner a few more looks at the NHL level and send back to Bingo, leaving Anderson with Bishop as his backup. Bishop is an RFA at the end of the season, so there is no pressing worries about keeping him. Keeping Lehner and Bishop fits better with view of A Sens rebuild.

The only reason that this is being talked about is that Ottawa may need top four D, however the Sens have other assets to deal for that if the D proves too vulnerable early on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad