Goalie prospects for 2006 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
The Caps are in need of a franchise goalie prospect. I couild see them rallying a couple of seconds or some veteran trades into a first 15-25. Can anyone give me a lowdown on the top young goalies that would be good picks at that stage. I heard about Sauer. Is he that kind of guy? Thanks!

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
Washington should have drafted Pavelec instead of Pokoluk last year...if they were smart...

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Metallian said:
Washington should have drafted Pavelec instead of Pokoluk last year...if they were smart...

We were not projecting a need for a goalie but I know the Caps looked at Price due to the Kolzig connection. Pokulok's making Team Canada shows he was not as bad a pick as some claim.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
borro said:
We were not projecting a need for a goalie but I know the Caps looked at Price due to the Kolzig connection. Pokulok's making Team Canada shows he was not as bad a pick as some claim.

last year toronto and washington were pegged as the teams most needing a goalie

I was surprised you guys didn't take Rask before us

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
This year is a weak year for Tenders'.

Leland Irving from the Everett Silvertips is the frontrunner for top goalie but I don't think he has the "franchise goalie" label set on him.

I also saw a profile on the goalie from the Lewiston Maine-iacs on the score... they said he was touted to be a high pick aswell.

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
www.hockeysfutureradio.com
Mackattack said:
This year is a weak year for Tenders'.

Leland Irving from the Everett Silvertips is the frontrunner for top goalie but I don't think he has the "franchise goalie" label set on him.

I also saw a profile on the goalie from the Lewiston Maine-iacs on the score... they said he was touted to be a high pick aswell.

Actually from what I've read Leland Irving isn't considered the top goalie for the draft.

Jonathan Bernier from the Q and Riku Helenius from the Finns

Duff88

May 7, 2002
Unbiased Canadian said:
Actually from what I've read Leland Irving isn't considered the top goalie for the draft.

Jonathan Bernier from the Q and Riku Helenius from the Finns

Billy Sauer from the Michigan Wolverines is probably the best right now.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
Duff88 said:
Billy Sauer from the Michigan Wolverines is probably the best right now.

I saw a Michigan game on the NHL network and he looked really average to me... looked slow and not very quick to react... he ended up getting yanked too.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Mackattack said:
I saw a Michigan game on the NHL network and he looked really average to me... looked slow and not very quick to react... he ended up getting yanked too.

No offense, but these are the kinds of posts that frustrates me about Hockey's Future. I saw that game as well, but have you seen any of his other games? Like Toews, he's a 17 year old playing NCAA hockey. He's had a fair amount of starts, and has looked pretty good more often than not. You can't judge a player based on one shift or one game. Again, not singling you out, but that seems to be the perspective of many around here.

Last edited:

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
borro said:
The Caps are in need of a franchise goalie prospect. I couild see them rallying a couple of seconds or some veteran trades into a first 15-25. Can anyone give me a lowdown on the top young goalies that would be good picks at that stage.
I think finnish goalie Niko Hovinen could be available.
He's been heralded as the next Kari Lehtonen.

Last edited:

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
Rabid Ranger said:
No offense, but these are the kinds of posts that frustrates me about Hockey's Future. I saw that game as well, but have you seen any of his other games. Like Toews, he's a 17 year old playing NCAA hockey. He's had a fair amount of starts, and has looked pretty good more often than not. You can't judge a player based on one shift or one game. Again, not singling you out, but that seems to be the perspective of many around here.

True. I am strictly going by what I just saw that game. I'm not labeling him as a bad goalie... I'm saying that he didn't look that good in the game I saw him in.

I agree with your points. I should reserve final judgements until I see more games.

Default101

Rookie tender Parker VanBuskirk, plays for Sarnia don't let the stats fool you he stole the starting job from an overager Jeff Macdougald who backstopped Peterborough -- the 3rd best team in the OHL behind London (Coleman/Dennis) and Mississauga (Ouzas/Shantz) he and Ryan Daniels who is playing great in Saginaw are the 2 OHL guys i could see them going after

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
From what i have heard, this draft has a number of good netminders but no franchise goalie. Its abit like last year, good goalies available but no franchise goaltender out there. Price or Rask will be good but they wont be superstars.

Larkin

Jan 1, 2006
Marcel the great! said:
Anything close to Price or Rask?

Like MattiA said Niko Hovinen from Finland, Jokerit is good. He definetly will go in first round, European Scouting had him in first Goalie in Europe. He's wery tall and big, solid goaltender. He has not been as good as Rask was last year in juniors but he's been good.

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
LaLaLaprise said:
Poor play hasnt helped him. And the fact he was traded.

I still see him going 3rd round.

he has so much potential if he'd just keep his head in the game and not let EVERY little thing get to him. he shows flashes of brilliance, then will let in a weak goal and his confidence just goes down the crapper and the flood gates open. but another advantage he has is he is 6-foot-4 and NHL teams are all about the size. even in goal.

i'd agree with your 3rd round prediction. if he plays real good down the stretch with victo i think he could even be a late 2nd.

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
www.hockeysfutureradio.com
Larkin said:
Like MattiA said Niko Hovinen from Finland, Jokerit is good. He definetly will go in first round, European Scouting had him in first Goalie in Europe. He's wery tall and big, solid goaltender. He has not been as good as Rask was last year in juniors but he's been good.

What I find crazy is that another Finn...Riku Helenius is actually ranked as the #2 goalie for the 06 draft by ISS.

They were both at the Viking Cup and looked even! Two more great keepers for the Finns

Larkin

Jan 1, 2006
LaLaLaprise said:
Poor play hasnt helped him. And the fact he was traded.

I still see him going 3rd round.

What? How old is he? Can you trade youngsters in Canada? Thats crazy... you move at age of 17 out of your hometown because you were traded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad