Confirmed with Link: Goalie Patrik Rybar signed to 1 year deal

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I'd say Rybar has been a pleasant quiet surprise this season.

His first season on NA ice and he quickly moved from a #2 to #1B and now to a #1A in the AHL before the season has even ended.

I'm guessing that Rybar gets an extension with the expectation that he gets the majority of the work in GR next season, plays well, gets in some NHL action and then gets a 1-way contract for 20-21 to compete for an NHL job.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk

His first season on NA ice and he quickly moved from a #2 to #1B and now to a #1A in the AHL before the season has even ended.

I'm guessing that Rybar gets an extension with the expectation that he gets the majority of the work in GR next season, plays well, gets in some NHL action and then gets a 1-way contract for 20-21 to compete for an NHL job.

I must say, i have expected something like this. He was very very good last 2 seasons in Czech league. Also on international level. Somehow i counted also with the possibility, that he could see some games also in NHL. But that was only a second target.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Bit of a weird theory you got here. Don't think Stolarz played enough for anybody to figure him out. He's been injured pretty much all the time. He also never relied on his positioning much. He's so big that he doesn't need to. He's also moving very well for his size and has a brilliant technique.
He's already played some NHL-games and did very well. He's also one of the most talented goalies and UFA while Rybar is RFA. There's no urgency to give Rybar an NHL gig now. He played just one season and with a cheap goalie like Stolarz in front of him he can get called up anytime. Also, with Howard/Stolarz both injury prone, Rybar would see NHL action anyway.

Unless they really wanna keep Sateri and Bernier, they need a guy even if Howard stays. Rybar is pretty much the only lock for next season. van Pottelberghe is injured, Sateri and Howard are UFA's and Bernier can't stop a beachball.

Yeah, I'm gonna say no based on this idea alone. A goalie who doesn't care about positioning is going to get eaten alive in full time NHL duty.

Or, more likely, you've got no idea what actually makes a good goalie, so your stumping for Stolarz is just because you like him and not based on any objective measure.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Stolarz is an intriguing option because he can hit the UFA market this summer and become an RFA after next season if he just plays a small handful of games. However, that's mostly because he's missed large chunks of this and last season with injuries.

If the Wings didn't have Bernier at #2, I'd be OK with giving Stolarz that spot on a 1 year deal. See if he can stay healthy and play well. If he doesn't, they don't have to qualify him and he walks as a UFA. If he plays well, they can qualify him as an RFA and either explore giving him a cost controlled extension or get some picks by flipping his rights to a team looking to play the next round "Maybe that good backup can be a starter roulette" (ala Talbot, Grubauer, Bernier, Darling, Raanta, etc etc.).

Again though, that would only work if the Wings needed a back up. Probably zero chance they'd lose Howard and supplement a gamble in Bernier with another gamble.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Yeah, I'm gonna say no based on this idea alone. A goalie who doesn't care about positioning is going to get eaten alive in full time NHL duty.

Or, more likely, you've got no idea what actually makes a good goalie, so your stumping for Stolarz is just because you like him and not based on any objective measure.

Of course I like him but I'm not gay or something...it's based on his talent and performances. I'm obviously not alone on that one because some guys in the business liked him well enough to draft him high. I also never said that he wouldn't care about positioning...it's just that guys like him don't need to rely on it as much as smaller goalies.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Stolarz is an intriguing option because he can hit the UFA market this summer and become an RFA after next season if he just plays a small handful of games. However, that's mostly because he's missed large chunks of this and last season with injuries.

If the Wings didn't have Bernier at #2, I'd be OK with giving Stolarz that spot on a 1 year deal. See if he can stay healthy and play well. If he doesn't, they don't have to qualify him and he walks as a UFA. If he plays well, they can qualify him as an RFA and either explore giving him a cost controlled extension or get some picks by flipping his rights to a team looking to play the next round "Maybe that good backup can be a starter roulette" (ala Talbot, Grubauer, Bernier, Darling, Raanta, etc etc.).

Again though, that would only work if the Wings needed a back up. Probably zero chance they'd lose Howard and supplement a gamble in Bernier with another gamble.

We're not sure if Howard wants to come back, right? Sateri should be gone.
Then, Bernier isn't a gamble...we're talking about a bad and aging goalie. At this point, there's no reason to keep him. This situation is a chance to see what younger guys could do as 1b or backup.

I agree with the rest but Bernier really should be gone by next season. No point in keeping him.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I'm not sure Rybar is going to want to stay in NA to play in the AHL again. At least not without a significant pay bump to make it worth his while. I wouldn't be surprised if Rybar shops himself around a bit to see if he can land an NHL backup job somewhere.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I'm not sure Rybar is going to want to stay in NA to play in the AHL again. At least not without a significant pay bump to make it worth his while. I wouldn't be surprised if Rybar shops himself around a bit to see if he can land an NHL backup job somewhere.

He's RFA so he doesn't have much of a choice. He also played just one season in the AHL. I wouldn't be against handing him the backup role but I don't think he should be upset if he has to start one more season in the AHL. He's gonna get a chance anyway.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
We're not sure if Howard wants to come back, right?

First I've heard anything of the sort. The consensus has mostly been that Howard didn't want to leave at the deadline and would prefer to stay beyond this season.

Niyo: Will trade deadline spell Jimmy Howard's end as Red Wing?
“It’d be an absolute honor to finish my career here. Like I’ve said, this is home. This is where the kids were born, and I feel like I belong here, and so does my wife. So this is the place where we want to be and there’s really no other place we really want to go.”

Sateri should be gone.

I would imagine that's more of a "will be" than a "should be", but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Wings or Griffins sign another one year vet stopgap to play with Rybar next season.

Then, Bernier isn't a gamble...we're talking about a bad and aging goalie. At this point, there's no reason to keep him. This situation is a chance to see what younger guys could do as 1b or backup.

I agree with the rest but Bernier really should be gone by next season. No point in keeping him.

I don't know that I would call Bernier "bad". Mediocre, Inconsistent, Overrated and Overpaid are probably better terms.

As far as "aging", sure, he isn't a young guy, but 30YO is pretty wide open for a goalie. He could take a turn down Bill Ranford Avenue and pretty much be done in the next year or so, but we've seen guys like Ron Tugnutt go from washed up waiver fodder to posting a career year and getting Hart, Vezina and AS votes at 31YO, Dwayne Roloson coming out of no where to post a career year at 34 and then be the missing piece that leads an underrated Oilers team to the finals at 36, or even Chris Osgood who was seen as washed up at 32 before putting up two Smythe worthy runs to the finals at 35 and 36. I'm not saying that could happen with Bernier, but IMO, age shouldn't be a factor in writing him off. On top of that, during the hysteria over Mrazek getting unprotected for Vegas/traded/etc. a lot of his apologists on here were pretty certain that by Berniers age, Mrazek would be leading the Red Wings back into the playoffs.

In reality, what young goalie is Bernier blocking from that #1B/#2 spot? Rybar is probably the closest thing they have to an NHL worthy goalie in their system, but he's probably better off getting a bigger workload in GR next season and getting some looks in the NHL on a call up basis, rather than spending anywhere from 50% to (more likely closer to) 70% of the Red Wings games sitting on the bench. I mean, I guess they could try to pry a young goalie that's out of minor league options for next season from another team (Jarry, Comrie, Gillies, etc.) in a trade or via waivers in October? Sure Stolarz is an option, but he's a UFA and could sign with any other team. On top of that, how's he going to feel about signing in Detroit if he's replacing a guy at the #1B/#2 that they just flushed down the toilet after one not so wonderful year with 2 remaining?

And then how do they "flush" Bernier? How many GM's are going to line up to acquire a bad and aging goalie with the 30th highest salary among his position and signed for two more years? Especially when those teams can go into the UFA market this summer and grab somebody like Elliott for around the same money and term, or a passable #2 option for less. Do they buy him out? Bury him in the AHL? Retain salary, attach him to another asset and/or take on some other teams bad salary to get rid of him in a trade?

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

As @Hinterland mentioned, Rybar doesn't have much of a choice in the NHL. Unless he really craps the bed for the rest of the year and the playoffs for GR, the Red Wings are likely to tender him the required $874k qualifying offer which gives them his rights until July 1 2021 (if he doesn't sign).

The silver lining for him is that if he has a solid 2nd year in the AHL next season, he can force the Wings hand when he loses waiver exemption starting in 20-21, or possibly end up with another team if they indeed end up waiving him.

I can see him signing a 1 or 2 year extension this summer that looks like this:

19-20:
-2-way with a bump in AHL pay and/or a decent signing bonus

and if the 2nd year is added/or if he signs for 20-21 after a one year for 19-20

20-21:
-1-way for a reasonable number
-"European assignment clause" that allows him to go back to Europe if he doesn't make the NHL and is done with the AHL (and subsequently NA)

When he's no longer waiver exempt after 19-20, if he has a good season as #1A in GR and/or makes some measurable impact in some NHL action, he's probably competing with Bernier and/or whoever else is on the Red Wings roster for an NHL job for 20-21. Or maybe if they're really worried about losing him, they'll carry three while they shop one of the other two. If he doesn't make the team, they can potentially trade him to another team that has an opening. Otherwise, he either goes to another NHL team on waivers, gets to go back to Europe, or he reluctantly hangs on and puts in a 3rd year in the AHL because...

The deal would also make him a UFA in July 2021 when 2 more NHL goaltending jobs open up with the expansion draft for the addition of a 32nd team, and also when Bernier and possibly (if he's extended for 2 years) Howard are set to become UFA's.

Reactions: Hinterland

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
First I've heard anything of the sort. The consensus has mostly been that Howard didn't want to leave at the deadline and would prefer to stay beyond this season.

Niyo: Will trade deadline spell Jimmy Howard's end as Red Wing?

I would imagine that's more of a "will be" than a "should be", but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Wings or Griffins sign another one year vet stopgap to play with Rybar next season.

I don't know that I would call Bernier "bad". Mediocre, Inconsistent, Overrated and Overpaid are probably better terms.

As far as "aging", sure, he isn't a young guy, but 30YO is pretty wide open for a goalie. He could take a turn down Bill Ranford Avenue and pretty much be done in the next year or so, but we've seen guys like Ron Tugnutt go from washed up waiver fodder to posting a career year and getting Hart, Vezina and AS votes at 31YO, Dwayne Roloson coming out of no where to post a career year at 34 and then be the missing piece that leads an underrated Oilers team to the finals at 36, or even Chris Osgood who was seen as washed up at 32 before putting up two Smythe worthy runs to the finals at 35 and 36. I'm not saying that could happen with Bernier, but IMO, age shouldn't be a factor in writing him off. On top of that, during the hysteria over Mrazek getting unprotected for Vegas/traded/etc. a lot of his apologists on here were pretty certain that by Berniers age, Mrazek would be leading the Red Wings back into the playoffs.

In reality, what young goalie is Bernier blocking from that #1B/#2 spot? Rybar is probably the closest thing they have to an NHL worthy goalie in their system, but he's probably better off getting a bigger workload in GR next season and getting some looks in the NHL on a call up basis, rather than spending anywhere from 50% to (more likely closer to) 70% of the Red Wings games sitting on the bench. I mean, I guess they could try to pry a young goalie that's out of minor league options for next season from another team (Jarry, Comrie, Gillies, etc.) in a trade or via waivers in October? Sure Stolarz is an option, but he's a UFA and could sign with any other team. On top of that, how's he going to feel about signing in Detroit if he's replacing a guy at the #1B/#2 that they just flushed down the toilet after one not so wonderful year with 2 remaining?

And then how do they "flush" Bernier? How many GM's are going to line up to acquire a bad and aging goalie with the 30th highest salary among his position and signed for two more years? Especially when those teams can go into the UFA market this summer and grab somebody like Elliott for around the same money and term, or a passable #2 option for less. Do they buy him out? Bury him in the AHL? Retain salary, attach him to another asset and/or take on some other teams bad salary to get rid of him in a trade?

Just because he didn't want to get traded this doesn't mean that he's gonna sign any contract offered by the Redwings. He's UFA and there's a chance that he leaves if given more money or term by another team.

While I think that you still need a good goalie during expansion, I don't see why you'd need an aging backup who has been bad for years already. If Howard stays, it would make a lot of sense to either promote Rybar or sign a similarly promising option (like Stolarz). While Bernier wouldn't take anybody's spot right now, exactly that's the problem. Howard is most likely done once the rebuild is over and how are the odds that the Wings will be able to rely on Bernier as a starter or that one of the younger guys is gonna be ready for regular games?

It doesn't help a rebuild if, once your skaters are playoff ready, you still cannot win games because your goaltending lets you down. Now is a chance to give promising guys a shot.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Of course I like him but I'm not gay or something...it's based on his talent and performances. I'm obviously not alone on that one because some guys in the business liked him well enough to draft him high. I also never said that he wouldn't care about positioning...it's just that guys like him don't need to rely on it as much as smaller goalies.

I wasn't saying that, sorry if that was the implication.

I'd have taken Slava Kozlov on my roster over like 95% of the NHL in the mid-90s even though he was just an alright top 6 winger. I get liking a player more than their talent justifies.

And on the second thing, I just wanted to re-iterate... there is no "a goalie doesn't have to rely on positioning" in the league. Big guys, small guys? They need it just the same. Gustavsson was a huge dude who couldn't stop a beach ball. If a guy has poor positioning, then he's a poor goalie, no matter his size. To be fair, I haven't seen Stolarz at all. But if there is any question about his positioning, I don't want him. Even if he was 8 feet tall.

Ben Bishop and Pekka Rinne are great goalies because they know how to play the position and use their size. Gustavsson, Mike Smith, other guys like that are big and slow.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Just because he didn't want to get traded this doesn't mean that he's gonna sign any contract offered by the Redwings. He's UFA and there's a chance that he leaves if given more money or term by another team.

I mean, you're right. There certainly is a "chance" that he leaves. And obviously, he isn't going to just sign whatever deal the Wings throw at him, but let's be realistic here:

-The team has expressed interest in extending him
-He has expressed interest in extending
-He's been here his entire career
-He has a wife and a zillion children rooted here
-We know this team is loyal to homegrown guys
-He's old and he's made his money and term, he isn't going to hugely coveted on the UFA market

If he isn't signed by the window prior to 7/1 where teams can negotiate with impending UFA's, his agent will probably listen to other teams offers and base what he wants from the Wings on that. He'd probably even be happy to take a bit of a cut if it means he doesn't have to move his family somewhere else. And even then, it's not like the Wings are going to be in dire need of whatever Jimmy's cap hit is for the next two seasons.

While I think that you still need a good goalie during expansion, I don't see why you'd need an aging backup who has been bad for years already. If Howard stays, it would make a lot of sense to either promote Rybar or sign a similarly promising option (like Stolarz). While Bernier wouldn't take anybody's spot right now, exactly that's the problem. Howard is most likely done once the rebuild is over and how are the odds that the Wings will be able to rely on Bernier as a starter or that one of the younger guys is gonna be ready for regular games?

Your back to that "bad" and "aging" thing again. 30 really isn't that old for a goalie and while I personally think Bernier is overrated, he hasn't been "bad for years". Once the Leafs gave up him as a potential starter, he was a very solid #2/#1B for the Ducks and Avs before he got here.

Given the Wings situation (having Bernier in tow and likely extending Howard), it actually doesn't make sense at all to go out of their way to put a young or "promising" goalie at #2, so they can develop by watching Howard start most of the games.... In the case of Rybar, he probably needs a full year as #1/#1A in GR and as the Red Wings #3 guy. As I've said before, if the Wings had room, sure go ahead and give Stolarz a look at #2 and see what he's got. But they don't. Their wagon is pretty much hitched to Bernier at #2 for at least the next season, given his contract and his play this year.

It doesn't help a rebuild if, once your skaters are playoff ready, you still cannot win games because your goaltending lets you down. Now is a chance to give promising guys a shot.

That would make sense, if the only way to attain acceptable goaltending was through development... Thankfully, however, that's not the case... The Wings last 4 Cups were with 3 different goalies brought in 4 different ways, and only one of them was a guy that was a "developed" as a young guy.

But then again, they're still developing Rybar at the pro level.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He's RFA so he doesn't have much of a choice. He also played just one season in the AHL. I wouldn't be against handing him the backup role but I don't think he should be upset if he has to start one more season in the AHL. He's gonna get a chance anyway.

My mistake, I thought he was older. I think I had him confused with Satari, who's 29.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I mean, you're right. There certainly is a "chance" that he leaves. And obviously, he isn't going to just sign whatever deal the Wings throw at him, but let's be realistic here:

-The team has expressed interest in extending him
-He has expressed interest in extending
-He's been here his entire career
-He has a wife and a zillion children rooted here
-We know this team is loyal to homegrown guys
-He's old and he's made his money and term, he isn't going to hugely coveted on the UFA market

If he isn't signed by the window prior to 7/1 where teams can negotiate with impending UFA's, his agent will probably listen to other teams offers and base what he wants from the Wings on that. He'd probably even be happy to take a bit of a cut if it means he doesn't have to move his family somewhere else. And even then, it's not like the Wings are going to be in dire need of whatever Jimmy's cap hit is for the next two seasons.

Your back to that "bad" and "aging" thing again. 30 really isn't that old for a goalie and while I personally think Bernier is overrated, he hasn't been "bad for years". Once the Leafs gave up him as a potential starter, he was a very solid #2/#1B for the Ducks and Avs before he got here.

Given the Wings situation (having Bernier in tow and likely extending Howard), it actually doesn't make sense at all to go out of their way to put a young or "promising" goalie at #2, so they can develop by watching Howard start most of the games.... In the case of Rybar, he probably needs a full year as #1/#1A in GR and as the Red Wings #3 guy. As I've said before, if the Wings had room, sure go ahead and give Stolarz a look at #2 and see what he's got. But they don't. Their wagon is pretty much hitched to Bernier at #2 for at least the next season, given his contract and his play this year.

That would make sense, if the only way to attain acceptable goaltending was through development... Thankfully, however, that's not the case... The Wings last 4 Cups were with 3 different goalies brought in 4 different ways, and only one of them was a guy that was a "developed" as a young guy.

But then again, they're still developing Rybar at the pro level.

If Howard wants money then that shouldn't be a problem. There's plenty of it to spend. If he wants term or clauses then that's where things could become difficult and I certainly hope that Holland isn't gonna do anything stupid realizing that he's in the middle of a rebuild.

You go ask the Avs board about Bernier..."absymal" is probably gonna be one of the nicer adjectives you're gonna read. I used to watch a lot of Avs hockey and man was Bernier ever brutal there. Their fans still hate him for how he crapped the bed there. He was just as bad for them as he's here. He's just bad and in fact was never any good. If I'm Holland, I'm retaining max and send the guy to whoever takes him.

Finding the right goalie takes time. Trades for real nr.1 guys just don't happen anymore. The last ones were Bishop and Dubnyk. Dubnyk because Arizona is a stupid franchise and Bishop because they had Vasi in the pipeline. Guys like that aren't available every year. You can also get lucky in Free Agency or with a waiver pickup and those usually are projects and not established top tier guys. Now is the time to play guys like Rybar or Stolarz...if you continue to ride Howard/Bernier until 2021 then the rebuild could be completed but Redwings don't have a goalie.

Again, I'd like to keep Howard but behind him I don't see a single reason why the Redwings would need to waste a spot on a 30 yo Bernier. He's 100% not part of the future after the rebuild and even in the unlikely case that a younger backup loses a few games more than Bernier it's only gonna improve the chances to get higher draft picks. Gimme only reason why the Wings should hold on to Bernier. Only one.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I wasn't saying that, sorry if that was the implication.

I'd have taken Slava Kozlov on my roster over like 95% of the NHL in the mid-90s even though he was just an alright top 6 winger. I get liking a player more than their talent justifies.

And on the second thing, I just wanted to re-iterate... there is no "a goalie doesn't have to rely on positioning" in the league. Big guys, small guys? They need it just the same. Gustavsson was a huge dude who couldn't stop a beach ball. If a guy has poor positioning, then he's a poor goalie, no matter his size. To be fair, I haven't seen Stolarz at all. But if there is any question about his positioning, I don't want him. Even if he was 8 feet tall.

Ben Bishop and Pekka Rinne are great goalies because they know how to play the position and use their size. Gustavsson, Mike Smith, other guys like that are big and slow.

Stolarz 2nd NHL game actually was a brilliant 28 saves shutout against Detroit...so you probably missed that one.
Stolarz is like a right catching Dubnyk with an even better technique. Both guys are big but, thanks to their athleticism, still able to move extremely well. I predicted that Louis Domingue would be a good one and I was right. I think that Stolarz is gonna be even better if only he can stay healthy. One of the most gifted guys currently in the game. Bernier is complete trash compared. Can't tell you much about Rybar but his stats and what you hear about him outta Grand Rapids all sounds really good. Not sure why the Redwings would want Bernier over Rybar either.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
If Howard wants money then that shouldn't be a problem. There's plenty of it to spend. If he wants term or clauses then that's where things could become difficult and I certainly hope that Holland isn't gonna do anything stupid realizing that he's in the middle of a rebuild.

You go ask the Avs board about Bernier..."absymal" is probably gonna be one of the nicer adjectives you're gonna read. I used to watch a lot of Avs hockey and man was Bernier ever brutal there. Their fans still hate him for how he crapped the bed there. He was just as bad for them as he's here. He's just bad and in fact was never any good. If I'm Holland, I'm retaining max and send the guy to whoever takes him.

Finding the right goalie takes time. Trades for real nr.1 guys just don't happen anymore. The last ones were Bishop and Dubnyk. Dubnyk because Arizona is a stupid franchise and Bishop because they had Vasi in the pipeline. Guys like that aren't available every year. You can also get lucky in Free Agency or with a waiver pickup and those usually are projects and not established top tier guys. Now is the time to play guys like Rybar or Stolarz...if you continue to ride Howard/Bernier until 2021 then the rebuild could be completed but Redwings don't have a goalie.

Again, I'd like to keep Howard but behind him I don't see a single reason why the Redwings would need to waste a spot on a 30 yo Bernier. He's 100% not part of the future after the rebuild and even in the unlikely case that a younger backup loses a few games more than Bernier it's only gonna improve the chances to get higher draft picks. Gimme only reason why the Wings should hold on to Bernier. Only one.

While I agree with some of that and hated the Bernier signing now and when it happened, my point has been that they are basically stuck with him. At least for another season. There won't be any market for him due to his salary and term without the Red Wings taking on garbage salary in return or sending an asset with him, and they certainly aren't going to bury him in the minors when it should be Rybar getting a bulk of the starts in the AHL next season. And again, I doubt any team would consider throwing Rybar into an NHL job after only one year in the AHL.

If anything, they should hope Bernier can turn it around next season so they fool some other GM into trading a draft pick for him as a 1yr rental for 20-21, when his salary drops by $750k...

It's really telling how exceptionally terrible Holland has been at signing UFA back up goalies in the last 10 season... Conklin 2.0 was a disaster, Gustavsson was overrated garbage basically made of paper mache and even got a raise, and now we have Bernier... The only outlier being poor Joey MacDonald, who was supposed to be a #3 guy...

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
While I agree with some of that and hated the Bernier signing now and when it happened, my point has been that they are basically stuck with him. At least for another season. There won't be any market for him due to his salary and term without the Red Wings taking on garbage salary in return or sending an asset with him, and they certainly aren't going to bury him in the minors when it should be Rybar getting a bulk of the starts in the AHL next season. And again, I doubt any team would consider throwing Rybar into an NHL job after only one year in the AHL.

If anything, they should hope Bernier can turn it around next season so they fool some other GM into trading a draft pick for him as a 1yr rental for 20-21, when his salary drops by $750k...

It's really telling how exceptionally terrible Holland has been at signing UFA back up goalies in the last 10 season... Conklin 2.0 was a disaster, Gustavsson was basically made of paper mache and even got a raise, and now we have Bernier... The only outlier being poor Joey MacDonald, who was supposed to be a #3 guy...

Retain max and somebody is gonna take him. If it means taking another garbage contract back I wouldn't be against it if the guy has upside. During a rebuild, roster/contract spots are more important than money/salary.
I'm not saying that Rybar has to get a full time NHL spot next season but I'd rather give it to him than to Bernier. Again. Results of the backup won't really matter in the near future so now is the time to take a closer look at promising guys. If they can convince Stolarz to come to Detroit then they should absolutely offer him a contract.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno: Why isn't Rybar given a chance here? I know he had a stint in Grand Rapids. Just post good numbers consistently. Couldn't he at least compete as a back up? :dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

Reactions: Peter Tosh

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
I'm not sure why people keep bringing him up in threads as he signed a 1 year deal that expired long ago. When he left he was disgruntled and gave an interview where he didn't recommend other goalies signing with Detroit because they don't give them chances. He's gone.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno: Why isn't Rybar given a chance here? I know he had a stint in Grand Rapids. Just post good numbers consistently. Couldn't he at least compete as a back up? :dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:
I'm not sure why people keep bringing him up in threads as he signed a 1 year deal that expired long ago. When he left he was disgruntled and gave an interview where he didn't recommend other goalies signing with Detroit because they don't give them chances. He's gone.

To play Devil's advocate here, the Wings wanted to re-sign Rybar but he and his camp wanted to return to Europe.

Had he decided to stay in NA, he likely would've had a chance last season given that Bernier and Howard combined to miss 19 games, Pickard was crap in the NHL and not great in the AHL and the team had no usable goaltending depth beyond Pickard with Larsson and Fulcher either hurt or playing like garbage in the AHL or ECHL, and the team had to go out and get Comrie who was also crap for the Red Wings.

And to be fair, I'm not sure what "chance" Rybar didn't get. If anything, he needed to really lock down the starting job in GR before getting a shot in the NHL. He got a chance to do that when Sateri got hurt late in the season while the Griffins were trying to stay in the playoff picture and he blew it spectacularly. After Sateri got hurt, the Griffins ended the year 0-8-1. Rybar got all but one of those starts and going 0-8-0. He allowed 14 goals in the Griffins last 3 games, including 3 goals on 3 shots in the final game of the year before the team pulled him for a now healthy Sateri, who they went with for the playoffs. Playoffs they would've missed if Manitoba had gotten a point or two in their final game later that day.

But even with that, he could've come back last season and righted the ship, got a look in the NHL and then perhaps force the Wings to make a decision as he would've been subject to waivers starting this season, a year away from potentially becoming a UFA and with the team eventually needing to replace Howard.

Instead he pretty quickly locks down with Karpat until he can become an NHL UFA, maybe hoping he'll play well enough to make NHL teams ignore his less than stellar only season in NA and give him a 0ne-way NHL contract?

Technically, if the Wings move Bernier (or not), they could sign Rybar for the rest of the season and carry him as #2 or #3 and give him a look to decide if he's worth signing for next year. Would benefit the Wings by giving them an extra goalie if they move Bernier, so they don't have to acquire one to fill the TS requirement of 3 and would give Rybar a pro-rated 1-way NHL contract to make up some of the money he's reportedly lost this year with Liiga cutting back due to the pandemic. And if he gets a start or two, it could help give him some value if he hits the UFA market in July. However, I'm sure Rybar would rather get ready for the WC and just wait till he becomes an NHL UFA in July to come back over.

Reactions: Snuggs

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Cause I didn't know whats going on... you have the option to ignore this completely if it bothers you.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
To play Devil's advocate here, the Wings wanted to re-sign Rybar but he and his camp wanted to return to Europe.

Had he decided to stay in NA, he likely would've had a chance last season given that Bernier and Howard combined to miss 19 games, Pickard was crap in the NHL and not great in the AHL and the team had no usable goaltending depth beyond Pickard with Larsson and Fulcher either hurt or playing like garbage in the AHL or ECHL, and the team had to go out and get Comrie who was also crap for the Red Wings.

And to be fair, I'm not sure what "chance" Rybar didn't get. If anything, he needed to really lock down the starting job in GR before getting a shot in the NHL. He got a chance to do that when Sateri got hurt late in the season while the Griffins were trying to stay in the playoff picture and he blew it spectacularly. After Sateri got hurt, the Griffins ended the year 0-8-1. Rybar got all but one of those starts and going 0-8-0. He allowed 14 goals in the Griffins last 3 games, including 3 goals on 3 shots in the final game of the year before the team pulled him for a now healthy Sateri, who they went with for the playoffs. Playoffs they would've missed if Manitoba had gotten a point or two in their final game later that day.

But even with that, he could've come back last season and righted the ship, got a look in the NHL and then perhaps force the Wings to make a decision as he would've been subject to waivers starting this season, a year away from potentially becoming a UFA and with the team eventually needing to replace Howard.

Instead he pretty quickly locks down with Karpat until he can become an NHL UFA, maybe hoping he'll play well enough to make NHL teams ignore his less than stellar only season in NA and give him a 0ne-way NHL contract?

Technically, if the Wings move Bernier (or not), they could sign Rybar for the rest of the season and carry him as #2 or #3 and give him a look to decide if he's worth signing for next year. Would benefit the Wings by giving them an extra goalie if they move Bernier, so they don't have to acquire one to fill the TS requirement of 3 and would give Rybar a pro-rated 1-way NHL contract to make up some of the money he's reportedly lost this year with Liiga cutting back due to the pandemic. And if he gets a start or two, it could help give him some value if he hits the UFA market in July. However, I'm sure Rybar would rather get ready for the WC and just wait till he becomes an NHL UFA in July to come back over.

Gotcha. It's not that he's bad, he's basically just completely upset with the organization. Waiting for a different opportunity.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Does anyone have a link to this interview where Rybar shares his disdain for the Red Wings organization? I poked around translating Slovakian articles about Rybar from the past couple years and all I can seem to find is him reflecting on his experience in NA positively, while indicating a change in the Red Wings front office made him "unlucky" and that the Red Wings signing another goalie is what influenced him to take the offer to go to Finland:

May 6, 2019:
"Not only in terms of hockey, as I was busy enough, but also in life. I was alone in America, I had to take care of everything. The most important thing for me is that I got a chance. I would like to come back next season, "he explains.

At the beginning of the season, the more experienced Finn Harri Säteri was given more space in Grand Rapids, but gradually Fisherman also caught more and more. "He was taken as a trio for the Red Wings, he had a contract for the NHL. Gradually I got to his level and the coaches trusted both equally. They changed us by form. Whether I stay in the organization is not yet certain. Steve Yzerman is coming to Detroit as general manager and it will be seen what his idea will be. However, I am inclined to stay overseas for at least another year, "says Rybár.

July 21, 2019:
Last year, the Slovak representative accepted an invitation from overseas when he signed a Detroit contract with him and does not regret his move. "It was a great experience and I'm glad I got it. I got to know a different hockey world, different training and it also gave me a lot in my personal life, " Patrik Rybár told Nový Čas. Detroit offered him a new qualifying contract after the season, which kept his rights to him and he did not want to let him into another team in the profile. However, as he also signed a new goalkeeper, Rybár decided to return to Europe.

June 19, 2020:
"I am pleased to have been given the opportunity by Red Wings to try overseas hockey. I had a chance to go to the NHL for a while, but at that moment I was the only goalkeeper on the farm and we were fighting for the playoffs. I preferred to stay in the AHL and catch six or eight games in a row, which was great. Overall, I may have been unlucky that Detroit was only at the beginning of the rebuilding of the staff, "

Sounds to me like Yzerman wasn't completely sold on Rybar taking over the Wings #3 and Griffins #1 job and went in another direction, leaving Rybar the option to sign his QO and then see where he fits with Pickard as GR's starter and Larsson penciled in as #2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad