Goalies: Goalie pad stuck under my pants

Avro Arrow

May 1, 2010
Sherbrooke/Brampton
Hi everyone, I'm a noob goalie and I'm having the strangest of problems. I've googled this problem but can't find it anywhere so I'm wondering if anyone has had this happen and how to fix it. I have a set of 32" pads and from knee to ankle they seem to fit perfectly. The problem is that when I pick myself up after I drop down into butterfly (bring up my left leg and then my right), the right pad gets caught under my goalie pants and I can't get them out again. If I start getting up with my right leg, the left leg does it. Has anyone else had this problem? I've tried all kinds of strap loosening, tightening, etc. but it just keeps on happening. My pads are DR Sonic X6 and my goalie pads are Reebok 9k Senior Large. There's nothing special about my equipment that I can tell so I'm pretty much baffled. Some have said I should try a larger pad but these seem to fit properly. If anyone has any idea as to what the problem is, I'd really appreciate it.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Having trouble picturing it... able to add a photo?
Are you talking the thigh rise getting under your pant? Is it possible your pants are too big?

Avro Arrow

May 1, 2010
Sherbrooke/Brampton
Having trouble picturing it... able to add a photo?
Are you talking the thigh rise getting under your pant? Is it possible your pants are too big?
I don't see how the pants could be too big because the top profile of pads are all the same despite their length. It is of course the thigh rise portion of the entire pad. It's not just a thigh guard.
I have a hard time imaging the whole pad going into the pants. Is it the thigh guard?
No, although that happened as well. It is the entire pad ending up under the hockey pant leg. I'm sorry I have no pics but I'll try to get one.

Thank you both for answering, I realise that this must sound like the most ridiculous thing ever, but it's driving me insane. I'll try to get pics to show you.

Analyzer*

Nah, this happens to me, too. It's only one pad, too, right?

It's likely that the pants are too big and that the pad doesn't go quite high enough.

You could put tape around the pants to try and make the hole smaller. Or get new pants. I haven't because I don't want to spend another 200 dollars...

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
Used to happen to me back when I was a teen and wore those small pads. Since your pads fit perfectly, though, I wouldn't mess with that. Instead, you might be pulling your pants up too far and too tightly. One trick many pro goalies use is they barely even tighten their pants, letting them sag. That way when you're in your butterfly they cover more area down low. Consider loosening your pants so they sag lower which, in turn, should keep your pants too low to get caught on the tops of your pads.

goalie29

Oct 17, 2010
Canada
I'd be more likely to try different pant options rather than pads, those are harder to dial in and more expensive.

The pad top getting stuck in my pants happened to me once, luckily in warm up because it was hard getting up! My thigh boards used to do that all the time, but it was easier getting those loose during the game.

The problem stopped when I went from intermediate pants to senior, which have longer legs. Like intangible said above, you want your pants legs to sit behind your pads, not to pull up above them. You could try the sag method, or look into how your pants fit and see if maybe you need longer ones. Reeboks are short in the legs compared to other brands. I'm really short (like 5'2"), and have the same pants as you in senior medium. They fit me great. Most other brands of senior pants I tried were too long in the leg for me and interfered with my pads.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad