goalie pad equipment question...

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
A couple of goalies I have noticed this year wearing extra padding on the top of goalie pants.

I thought it was the goalie's belly pad extending over the pants..

Here is what they looked like...

bauer-pro-goalie-pants-senior-red

It must be a new thing. I did not see these type of pants years ago..

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
So long as it's within the size restrictions I see no issue changing the designs and padding to close gaps.
As a goalie who played a bit into college there are definitely gaps in the gear, and with advancements they can modify and make equipment move, flex, and cover/ protect more than ever. I would have loved to have some of the tech they have now... but maybe not at the price tag it touts.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
So what's the question?

If it's about what they're for, that padding covers up the seams where the regular padding is split to allow movement. Taking a shot in that gap hurts.

It's also just a happy coincidence that it gives goalies an "excuse" to have a tiny little bit of extra coverage or "blocking surface". But it's such a small thing and you can't really argue to take it away due to it's actual primary function as "player protection". Same as you can't take away the shoulder plates for example. Just do what you can to make sure they're not being expanded unnecessarily and purely to create more net coverage rather than for protection.

Reactions: Summer Rose

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
If goalies wanted to, they could be as protected as they are now but almost as streamlined as skaters. They don't want to. Goalie pads are big because big is what is wanted.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00