[Goalie] Need help with butterfly slide

HandsomeKessel

Dec 16, 2016
United Kingdom
I'm really struggling with my butterfly slides when I'm already in the butterfly. I'm working on my left side from standing up but that will come with repetition. However, I can't quite understand how to do it from the butterfly. It would help a lot!

How does it work? Can someone explain how to do it in detail? I know roughly how to do it but I would be making progress if I were doing it correctly.

Thanks

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Hmm tough one as I really don't think about it when I do it. I'd say watch price and notice how verticle his head, shoulders and torso are. He's making himself "big" but at the same time I think the high center of gravity makes the pushes that much more easy. Andersen on the leafs has been quite good at this lately too.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I'm a huge fan of an aggressive crouch while standing like Varlamov and Rinne. But once you're down you have to stay big

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Lol. Also...not that he's played in a while but watch Fleury in his pre game warmup/stretches. He drops into his butterfly and starts kicking his pads like they're the flippers in pin ball. These quick movements should help also

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Can't seem to find the ones that really got me practicing it.. but this one was one of the first I used.

Basically look up pendulum drill.

But what I do in every warmup is out of the net just practice going right, left, right, left a few times.
Then you do two rights, two lefts a few times.
Then do right,stop,right, left, stop, left.

The key is to find the edge on your toe use that. Practice trying to keep your knee as low to the ice as possible while still finding the toe without blowing out on the cowling or the corner of your pad. And keep your stick blade covering the five hole the entire drill.

Another drill I've seen is to practice the slides from your knees going back and forth along the blue line so you also make sure you're making even pushes every time.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
You might be leaning back in your butterfly stance. If you don't have proper posture you will have more difficulty making movements from that position.

This video might help you pinpoint where you need to improve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad