Goalies: Goalie Knee Pad Help

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
PAWs are good and they can make the famed non-spec Luongo/Giguere ones that I wear. Also take a look at Passau's knee guards, which are incredibly protective and comfy, and has nash on the inside for comfort and so it doesn't slip.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
PAWs are good and they can make the famed non-spec Luongo/Giguere ones that I wear. Also take a look at Passau's knee guards, which are incredibly protective and comfy, and has nash on the inside for comfort and so it doesn't slip.

PAWs also have nash on the inside. They are also about half the cost of the Passau's.

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
I don't have anything against PAWs, but I will say that I've seen a fair amount end up on Ebay afterward, and a few goalie friends of mine have gotten shots through them. Granted, Sara can change the foams and make them thicker or thinner depending on preference. I prefer to go with the original, and I love my Passaus as backups.

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
any knee guard will feel exponentially better if you tape it at the top and bottom with sock tape

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
What type of pads/style of goaltending do you play? I remember this being an issue when I was 9 and the pads didn't have built in knee flaps, but nowadays when you're down your pads should be rolled outwards to the shooter and your knees aren't exposed... I know for me at least wearing just velocities since 11, I haven't had any issue where I needed extra padding.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
What type of pads/style of goaltending do you play? I remember this being an issue when I was 9 and the pads didn't have built in knee flaps, but nowadays when you're down your pads should be rolled outwards to the shooter and your knees aren't exposed... I know for me at least wearing just velocities since 11, I haven't had any issue where I needed extra padding.

Even with the knee flaps pucks can sneak through. I had a puck miss my kneecap by the width of a fingernail that snuck through. Have worn kneepads ever since.

TrickyRCAF

Mar 30, 2013
Passau knee protection

I have Passau knee protectors and Larceny pads which I removed the middle piece of the landing gear to account for the extra width. That combo works really well and most people on the goalie forums have been quite happy with the Passau's.

Autosuggestion

Mar 29, 2013
30880701-260x260-0-0_Asics+Asics+ZD900+Gel+Conform+Volleyball+Knee+Pads.jpg

these volleyball knee pads have served me well. and they are cheap and easy to find.

for the record i use some old ccm blockade leg pads i bought used. i never wore knee pads before, but they were the first pair i've had with "landing gear." sometimes my bare knee would slip out of the cradle and land on the ice.

i tried on some hockey-specific knee pads, but they all felt way too bulky.

Aucoin11*

I found paw's too thick and bulky. Didn't quite get the hype. I like the vaughns a lot, though I will admit they aren't super protective.

HockeyStickHomicide

Registered Abuser
Mar 2, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
I wear these:
reebok-senior-hockey-goalie-knee-protector-2009-navy_3406_500.jpg

Many people say they are too bulky, but I love them. I took off the very bottom part though. Have taken quite a few blasts off the knee/thigh area with these and felt nothing.
Being a hybrid goaltender, I sometimes have my knees exposed, so these are a must for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad