Beginners: Goalie equipment

KJ216

May 14, 2019
Before I start know that I am new to this. we bought my son goalie pads that the representative said we're the perfect size for him he says when he goes down that his knees in the right spot from knee to ankle is good. He also has new pants that fit him perfectly. The problem however is when he goes down he says the pads are pushing his pants up into his crotch.... what is causing this and what do I need to do to help him

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Before I start know that I am new to this. we bought my son goalie pads that the representative said we're the perfect size for him he says when he goes down that his knees in the right spot from knee to ankle is good. He also has new pants that fit him perfectly. The problem however is when he goes down he says the pads are pushing his pants up into his crotch.... what is causing this and what do I need to do to help him
How old are we talking about exactly? Is he wearing suspenders?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Are the bottom of his pants getting hooked on the top of his pad? Causing it to drive up into his crotch area?

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Are the bottom of his pants getting hooked on the top of his pad? Causing it to drive up into his crotch area?

I'm with McHockey... it's probably the pants being pushed up by the pads, the top strap of the pads or the knee/thigh pads (attached to pad or separate... does he have any?)

What you need to do is get him into his gear on a carpet you don't care about and adjust the straps until you get the right fit.

Generally, the idea is that the pants should rest between the top of the pad and the thigh when down in butterfly. If the pad has a built in thigh protector (usually attached to the knee area) or he's wearing separate knee pads, the newer models of these are curved and generally meant to be fairly tight against the leg and slide up under the thigh pad of the pants. Here are some tips:
1) when in butterfly, he should be landing on the INNER knee pad, not the knee area on the body of the pad
2) in order for the above, the pad should be rotating on his leg
3) that means the straps need to be loose... try at least 2-3 adult fingers between strap and leg
4) the very top strap only serves the purpose of slightly bending the top of the pad to close the 5-hole. Don't have it any tighter than required to get it to bend toward the other leg in butterfly to close the 5-hole
5) the boot strap also needs to be loose enough to allow rotation of the pad. Depending his his hip flexibility, he may find butterfly easier with his toes pointed to the ice and heel up... strap needs to allow for this.
6) when you've got all the straps and adjustments right, his thigh should be protected by an "accordion" of pads. Thigh/knee pads closest to the leg, then pants, then top of goalie leg pads.

Then get on the ice and go into butterfly to make fine tuning there.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
nHjb4nT.jpg

Above is what I meant by "accordion". The goalie's needs are on the white landing gear (knee) pads of the leg pads. The blue (or black Reebok) knee/thigh pads are snug to the leg, the black pants are coming over the knee/thigh pads and .... if the goalie rotates his legs out to close that 5-hole, you can imagine that the pants would be "hanging out" in that space between his thigh and the top of the white/orange goalie pads.

beakerboy

Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
Depending on the pads and the strapping, you can have some issues with some of the straps (or flaps that they attach to) pushing up on your knee pads and/or pants. My pads have a flap that I think is supposed to protect the outside of the knee. It hangs fairly loose but if I do up the straps above the knee, those catch on that flap and push it in, interfering with my knee pads/pants.

I'd mess around with the strapping and see what feels right to him. For reference, I like my pads fairly tight with the velcroed elastic at the back of the calf and knee. I do one strap fairly tight at the back of the calf, the bootstrap fairly loose and I use bungee cord for my toe ties. The other straps I've either removed or they are buckled as low as possible and as loose as possible just to get them out of the way.

This keeps my leg in the channel, keeps my knee over the knee stacks, allow pretty good rotation and relieve some of the strain on my ankles.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
The straps at the top might be too tight causing the top of the pad to hug the leg and not letting the pants to move freely. The two straps at the top should be fairly loose like the picture below.

images
Id agree with something like this.

As a rule of thumb when strapping up my pads it was tightest at the bottom and gradually looser as you go up. To the point the top strap basically did nothing.

Take the time to identify which eyelet for each strap works best and mark it somehow. Do the pads up the same for everygame and make adjustments as the feedback comes in

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->