Goalie equipment advice needed: ball hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xoltaric

Mar 23, 2005
Hamilton
Good day,

I found this forum yesterday and it seems like there are quite a few fun and knowledgeable hockey people here. Looking forward to being a part of it.

For my first post, I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on goalie equipment for beer league ball hockey.

What should I be looking for when buying equipment and how much can I expect to pay? Is renting an option at all? I'm in Hamilton but I'd take the trip to Toronto (or area) for any sweet deals.

I've only played in net for street hockey before and my idea of pads was a thick pair of jeans.

Thanks a bunch!

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
It's just ball hockey so buy something cheap that takes up a decent amount of net space. Doesn't have to be fancy.

And you'll find the best deals on Ebay. It's dirt cheap for goal equipment.

Xoltaric

Mar 23, 2005
Hamilton
Thanks, I looked online and there seemed to be some pretty cheap pieces there.

I'm still having a hard time figuring out what exactly I need.

Obviously leg pads, helmet, catcher, blocker, jock(!), pants...

In my searches I've found a number of different chest protectors and all of them seem really expensive. And some have arm protection and some don't? Is there a particular style I should look for that won't break the bank?

I've seen some knee pads too.. do these come on some pads and not others? I imagine they are for the top of the knees right?

See what I mean? Thick pair of jeans.. and on cold days maybe a pair of long johns.

(lone)Yashinfan#79

ebay is definitely a great start... just about all the goalies in the ball hockey league i play in wear at least some ice gear (most have street style leg pads but all the other equipment is ice hockey).
so if you have any old ice hockey gear that is broken in and that you are used to, just go that route and pick up Franklin or Mylec leg pads.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I play in a ball hockey league every week. When I started, I figured "it's a ball, how hard can they shoot?" Then I learned that the impact can almost be as hard as a hard slap shot with a puck.

Generally I'd wear:

Shoes with with a hard toe
Leg Pads
Goalie Pants
Goalie Cup
Chest Protector
Blocker/Glove
Mask

========

Ordering online should save you the most cash. You'll have to deal with shipping charges, especially since you're in Canada. Here are some "cheap" leg pads that I posted in another thread:

$99 - 2004 CCM Roller pads: http://www.discounthockey.com/ccmrgsegonew.html - I have these. I don't like them (lots of rebounds), but you can't beat that price.

$199 - 2005 CCM Roller pads: http://www.discounthockey.com/ccmpfs30sego.html - This year's model, pretty nice in terms of knee protection for the price. The pad itself is kinda ugly and seemingly made of some synthetic material.

$199 - 2004 Mission Motion Lite: http://www.discounthockey.com/mimoligole.html - Had two buddies buy these in the last week. The pad itself is nicer than the CCMs, but the knee protection isn't as good. Not sure which one I'd recommend between these and the $199 CCMs.

$299 - 2005 Reebok Seniors: http://www.peranis.net/prodHome.iht...pid=3987&dept=3 - These just came out. Just from looking at them, it seems to have the same construction as the Mission with the knee padding of the CCM.

-------------

You can probably get away with wearing a normal player's pants if you already have one. I know other guys who use baseball gloves instead of a goalie glove, and that works fine.

This is probably the cheapest chest protector you'll be able to find: http://www.goaliemonkey.com/gxtourgtl304ab.html

Ebay is a good option, I got one pair of leg pads there. The only drawback is that you don't get to try them on first (if you don't have a shop locally with them).

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Brodeur said:
Ebay is a good option, I got one pair of leg pads there. The only drawback is that you don't get to try them on first (if you don't have a shop locally with them).

I'm an ice hockey goalie and recently got a pair of new Brian's pads on Ebay for $800. They retail for $1699 here. Ebay is great for goal equipment.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Le Golie said:
I'm an ice hockey goalie and recently got a pair of new Brian's pads on Ebay for $800. They retail for $1699 here. Ebay is great for goal equipment.

Yeah, I got my Heaton 10s off eBay a couple years ago for $200 when they were retailing for $500. The only drawback was that I thought 32" would be sufficient, but ideally I should have got 34".

Saw a pair of lightly used Heaton Pro Z's for $400 (new $1000). But I've told myself I can't buy any more stuff.

The better deals are for the pricier equipment, most of the cheaper pads I'd use for ball hockey aren't that much cheaper on eBay.

(lone)Yashinfan#79

i hear ya, don't underestimate the velocity of a hockey ball... we had a radar gun out earlier in the season and we had one guy clocked at 112 mph, another at 110, and couple guys around 98-100 mph... weirdly, my wrist shot was faster than my slapper [sheepish grin]

Brodeur said:
I play in a ball hockey league every week. When I started, I figured "it's a ball, how hard can they shoot?" Then I learned that the impact can almost be as hard as a hard slap shot with a puck.

Robert Paulson*

(lone)Yashinfan#79 said:
i hear ya, don't underestimate the velocity of a hockey ball... we had a radar gun out earlier in the season and we had one guy clocked at 112 mph, another at 110, and couple guys around 98-100 mph... weirdly, my wrist shot was faster than my slapper [sheepish grin]
Yeah, and those things curve like you wouldn't believe.. it's hell for a goalie.

Xoltaric

Mar 23, 2005
Hamilton
BlueBleeder said:
A cup, a baseball glove, and a stick.

lol... see, I'd be stupid enough to try this. I remember the first time I actually caught the ball in my bare "glove hand." Everyone's jaw dropped. Went on to do it two more times that game but my hand killed for a week.

Seriously though, thanks a lot everyone!

This is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for.

Here's a stupid question.. when talking about pads, what exactly is the 32" measuring? Is that the length of the pad or the length of the leg the pad is fitted for? If it is the pad, how do I know what size to get?

Last question of the day... wearing all this equipment, I'm sure I'll notice a huge difference in my mobility.. will it take one or two outings to get used to it or will I have to learn everything all over again?

Bulldog fan

Timmy Dogs Alum 1999
Nov 5, 2004
101York Bld Hamilton
Xoltaric said:
Good day,

I found this forum yesterday and it seems like there are quite a few fun and knowledgeable hockey people here. Looking forward to being a part of it.

For my first post, I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on goalie equipment for beer league ball hockey.

What should I be looking for when buying equipment and how much can I expect to pay? Is renting an option at all? I'm in Hamilton but I'd take the trip to Toronto (or area) for any sweet deals.

I've only played in net for street hockey before and my idea of pads was a thick pair of jeans.

Thanks a bunch!
I see your in Hamilton, Larry's Sporting Goods on Barton St has used goalie equipment in the upstairs loft (where all the goalie equipment is). Not sure what they would have in stock, but I remember their prices were decent.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Xoltaric said:
lol... see, I'd be stupid enough to try this. I remember the first time I actually caught the ball in my bare "glove hand." Everyone's jaw dropped. Went on to do it two more times that game but my hand killed for a week.

Seriously though, thanks a lot everyone!

This is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for.

Here's a stupid question.. when talking about pads, what exactly is the 32" measuring? Is that the length of the pad or the length of the leg the pad is fitted for? If it is the pad, how do I know what size to get?

Last question of the day... wearing all this equipment, I'm sure I'll notice a huge difference in my mobility.. will it take one or two outings to get used to it or will I have to learn everything all over again?

I don't know how serious he was being, but there is some truth to what he's saying. When you're playing with a ball, the necessity for equipment is much lower. You can get away with playing with the bare minimums, it's just painful and less effective. I used to play with a glove, blocker, leg pads and a plastic jason style mask. It's really all one needs to be pretty effective. And if you play more of a stand up style, you don't even need the leg pads to be effective.

Basically, what you need depends on style, and breaks down like this:

Mask: makes you more fearless in net, minimizes flinching and blinking. Also, you won't fear using your face to stop a shot. Also prevents eye injuries, which are a serious concern. I got my plastic old school style one for $5 used.

Stick: You can use just a regular hockey stick, but goalie sticks are really useful. They take up a lot more space in net and cover your five hole effectively both when you're in standup or in butterfly, and the way they're shaped make it easier to adjust your hand from halfway down the stick to up by the knob. If you are going to use a regular stick, use one that shoots the opposite of the hand you hold it in. That is, if you're right handed, it's better to use a stick that shoots left.

Blocker: basically just makes you right hand bigger. I've also seen people just wear big gloves. Street ones are pretty cheap though, I got mine for around $30 new.

Glove: Hurts to catch without one, you have a better chance of catching with one on, and you can cover the ball easier. Nothing wrong with using a baseball glove if you have one lying around. Otherwise, my street one cost around $35 new.

Leg pads: Only really essential if you like to drop down into the butterfly. But then again, that's pretty essential to most goalies. The size is the length of the pad. You can go just a couple inches above your knee and be fine, but bigger ones will cover your five hole better when you drop down into butterfly. Depends on if you want to be more agile or take up more net. Quality doesn't really matter here at all, just get something cheap and light. Mine were $80 new and I've yet to feel a single ball that hit me in the pad.

Cup: You'll want one. It really hurts without one. Trust me, I know.

Chest protector: Probably the most optional piece of equipment. It makes your chest bigger which is a huge advantage, especially when you're skinny like me. I used to play without one, but I'm so skinny it put me at a huge disadvantage. You can get away without it if you're big enough, but look forward to some ball size bruises. Although, taking a hard enough shot to the stomach can knock the wind out of you, which would likely lead to giving up a goal, depending on how competitive/friendly your league is. Having your arms protected too isn't very essential at all, but it does make your arms a bit bigger so that's up to you. I've never actually bought one, so I can't tell you on price, I didn't start using one until the league I play in now, but I only ever play goal anymore when our usual goalie can't make it, so I just borrow theirs.

Everything else is pretty non-essential. In my beer league, there are some people who play with full gear, but it's mostly just so shots don't sting when they hit you. Odds of any serious injury are awfully slim if you have on a cup and mask. Outside of those two pieces, I only ever use gear that helps me stop shots and that depends on your style. But this should help you figure out what you'll want for how you play, and what you can get away with skipping over. Also, eBay is a great place as mentioned earlier. I know some goalies that got dirt cheap prices on there. But for any pads you buy, make sure you're buying stuff designed for street, because ice hockey goalie gear is way too expensive for what you'll be using it for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad