Prust - Malhotra - Dumont

Brodeur
Fucale

problem solved

winner winner chicken dinner

chico_hawk

Jun 23, 2007
twitter.com
I don't think I agree. Budaj might be replaceable but a young(ish) goalie with a decent upside has some value. He played well in the playoffs last year so I think it upped his value.

In any case, this isn't really considered a conundrum, it's more of a good problem. Let Budaj and Tokarski battle to see who gets the backup spot.

In the end though I wonder if Tokarski would be happy with a backup role. Budaj has made it very clear that he understands his role and is happy with 10 games a year. It's exactly what we need in a backup, and he's great in the room and on the bench, all of the guys on the team love him. Tokarski might have higher expectations of himself, which is understandable, so in a year we might be in search of another backup and might need to settle with someone worse than either of them.

Agree with these comments - Tokarski played well in the playoffs & gave his team a chance. I think that will only cause him to think he has a realistic shot at a starter's job, except of course in Montreal, where Price isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

I think a team like Chicago would have some interest as their goaltending depth is thin, but he'd be fighting for a backup spot there too.

Winnipeg seems like a more realistic spot, especially if Pavelec doesn't improve.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Agree with these comments - Tokarski played well in the playoffs & gave his team a chance. I think that will only cause him to think he has a realistic shot at a starter's job, except of course in Montreal, where Price isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

I think a team like Chicago would have some interest as their goaltending depth is thin, but he'd be fighting for a backup spot there too.

Winnipeg seems like a more realistic spot, especially if Pavelec doesn't improve.

I don't see why Winnipeg would prefer either of Budaj or Tokarski to Hutchinson, and if they were looking to replace Pavelec, I think they would want to replace him with someone much more established, otherwise ... what's the point?

chico_hawk

Jun 23, 2007
twitter.com
I don't see why Winnipeg would prefer either of Budaj or Tokarski to Hutchinson, and if they were looking to replace Pavelec, I think they would want to replace him with someone much more established, otherwise ... what's the point?

While both Tokarski & Hutchinson have very limited NHL experience, Tokarski's has been the more impressive (playoffs).

Ignoring NHL games, Tokarski is the much more accomplished, with better credentials - Memorial Cup winner (& MVP), World Jr Gold, Calder Cup champion.

The Jets are a team in transition - they have some good young players like Scheiffle, Truba & Ehlers....Tokarski fits in with a rebuilding team.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
While both Tokarski & Hutchinson have very limited NHL experience, Tokarski's has been the more impressive (playoffs).

Ignoring NHL games, Tokarski is the much more accomplished, with better credentials - Memorial Cup winner (& MVP), World Jr Gold, Calder Cup champion.

The Jets are a team in transition - they have some good young players like Scheiffle, Truba & Ehlers....Tokarski fits in with a rebuilding team.

First of all, I don't think Tokarski's NHL experience becomes magically better because it was in the playoffs. Hutchinson played for the Jets and excelled and he delivered dominating performances for their farm teams. He's earned his spot in Winnipeg, and the Jets let Montoya walk and traded away another goaltender to clear the path tot he Winnipeg crease for him.

It makes no sense that they would then scrap that plan to bring in Dustin Tokarski who's given them no reason to believe is better. The Jets have a very promising young net minder ready to seize a job. They are not going to turn around and trade a 5th rounder to bring in some other young goalie then put Hutchinson on waivers. It doesn't make any sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad