Goal that was counted despite obvious video replay

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Okay I'm sorry I dont have a youtube for this one but a lot of you will remember this goal. Go back to 1993-94 and its Chicago vs. Winnipeg. In overtime I think its Nelson Emerson that grabs a poor clearing attempt from Belfour and with his hand literally takes the puck and wraps it around the post and in. This is all done with the puck in his hand. They counted it! Its' on Don Cherry's Rock Em Sock Em #6.

They had video replay back then. Can someone explain to me the story of how that goal counted? He literally threw the puck into the net, it is SO obvious on the replay its not even funny - well okay a little bit. Anyways how did that count?

Mr BLUEandWHITE

Nov 14, 2005
Toronto
Incompetence?

That's my guess I remember watching that on Rock 'em Sock 'em, and I remember the Hawks freakin out at the end of the game, can you blame them? We have to remember too that Chicago got 0 points back then because they lost. Unlike today. :shakehead

Could you imagine the laughter in the Winnipeg dressing room, I could just imagine what the heck they were saying in the showers.

Emerson "HOLY **** I cannot belive they counted that **** LOL"

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Yup I remember watching the highlights when that happened. The Hawks that were on the ice went ballistic when they counted that after review. It was quite simply, a disgrace.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Okay I'm sorry I dont have a youtube for this one but a lot of you will remember this goal. Go back to 1993-94 and its Chicago vs. Winnipeg. In overtime I think its Nelson Emerson that grabs a poor clearing attempt from Belfour and with his hand literally takes the puck and wraps it around the post and in. This is all done with the puck in his hand. They counted it! Its' on Don Cherry's Rock Em Sock Em #6.

They had video replay back then. Can someone explain to me the story of how that goal counted? He literally threw the puck into the net, it is SO obvious on the replay its not even funny - well okay a little bit. Anyways how did that count?

I remember that goal well, too.

It counted because 'puck directed in by a hand' wasn't one of the criteria for which they could go to video replay at the time (same as they can't review a blown offside call on a goal now). Even though the replay clearly showed the goal was illegal, there was no means by which they could overturn it. That rule was changed at the next GM meeting.

Another blown review call I remember pretty well involved the Jets, too. April 29, 1993, Game 5 between Winnipeg and Vancouver. Faceoff in the Jets' zone with 1.7 seconds left, and Sergio Momesso somehow scores a miracle goal. Problem is, the game clock is only burned into one replay angle, and that angle is inconclusive. However, by looking at the position of the players when the puck crossed the line on other replays and comparing them, it was plainly obvious there was 0.5-0.7 seconds left when the goal was scored. Somehow they disallowed it ... I don't think I've ever been angrier than that at a blown call, although thankfully the Canucks won in overtime.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I saw this on Don Cherry 6 too. It's unbelieveable. One of the most bizarre plays of my lifetime.

The Steve Sullivan/Colorado fan incident is damn funny too though! :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->