Goal-scoring Goaltenders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

albertGQ

Jul 1, 2005
Calgary
Amazing Oopah said:
I was wondering if a goaltender had ever scored a goal during an NHL game? Does anyone know if this has ever happened, maybe including other professional leagues? :dunno:

No, its never happened.

Are you a new fan? Ron Hextall and Marty Brodeur have scored two goals each (one in the regular season and one each in the playoffs). Chris Osgood, Damian Rhodes (got a shutout same game), Jose Theodore (backhanded), Evgeni Nabokov, Billy Smith and Rogie Vachon have all scored in the NHL as well. I may have missed a goalie or two

pnep

Mar 10, 2004
Novosibirsk,Russia
Goalies credited with a goal

Billy Smith (NYI) November 28, 1979 vs Colorado
Ron Hextall (PHI) December 8, 1987 vs Boston
Ron Hextall (PHI), April 11, 1989 vs Washington (playoffs)
Martin Brodeur (N-J), April 17, 1997 vs Montréal (playoffs)
Martin Brodeur (N-J), Febuary 15, 2000 vs Philadelphia
Chris Osgood (DET), March 6, 1996 vs Hartford
Damian Rhodes (OTT), January 2, 1999 vs New Jersey
Jose Theodore (MTL), January 3, 2001 vs New York
Evgeny Nabokov (S-J), March 10, 2002 vs Vancouver
Mika Noronen (BUF), Febuary 14, 2004 vs Toronto

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
pnep said:
Goalies credited with a goal

Billy Smith (NYI) November 28, 1979 vs Colorado
Ron Hextall (PHI) December 8, 1987 vs Boston
Ron Hextall (PHI), April 11, 1989 vs Washington (playoffs)
Martin Brodeur (N-J), April 17, 1997 vs Montréal (playoffs)
Martin Brodeur (N-J), Febuary 15, 2000 vs Philadelphia
Chris Osgood (DET), March 6, 1996 vs Hartford
Damian Rhodes (OTT), January 2, 1999 vs New Jersey
Jose Theodore (MTL), January 3, 2001 vs New York
Evgeny Nabokov (S-J), March 10, 2002 vs Vancouver
Mika Noronen (BUF), Febuary 14, 2004 vs Toronto
you should put a star by Brodeur's 2nd for 2 reasons. First, he didn't really score it, it was just credited to him, and second, it was a game winner.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
Fish on The Sand said:
you should put a star by Brodeur's 2nd for 2 reasons. First, he didn't really score it, it was just credited to him, and second, it was a game winner.
Billy Smith's was the same way. He was the last player to touch the puck before someone on the other team sent a centering pass that missed everyone and went in an empty net. Hextall scored the first "true" goal.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
While Antero Niittymaki didn't actually shoot the puck in the net, he has the most impressive of all:

Shorthanded overtime winner while playing for the Phantoms in the AHL.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
When was Rogie Vachon's goal? Smith was the first one to score and that was in '78. After that it was Hextall in '87 I believe. Vachon was retired by then.

By the way Glenn Hall back in the late 60s on a delayed penalty took the puck all the way to centre before passing to Terry Crisp and then Crisp scored. This was while they were on St. Louis.

Bulldog fan

Timmy Dogs Alum 1999
Nov 5, 2004
101York Bld Hamilton
Bob Froese actually got credit for one with the New York Rangers. It was announced his goal all the newspapers the next morning had Froese in the summaries but the replay actually showed that a defenseman hit it last. So the following day the goal scorer was changed. Nice to see the NHL was on the ball that day.

Bob Froese was a Ranger from 86 to 90.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
The biggest shock to me is that Gary Smith didn't make the list. God knows he tried, actually I think they changed the rules because he kept gloving the puck and taking off like a crazy man. Did it one night when he was with the Leafs (may have been HNIC) before going to Oakland in the expansion draft where he continued to make an honest effort.

Gary Smith stories are plentiful, we should do a thread on him one day.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Patrick Roy is another G who tried.

He actually once shot the puck into the net but it went over the line 1,5 seconds after the buzzer.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Lowetide said:
The biggest shock to me is that Gary Smith didn't make the list. God knows he tried, actually I think they changed the rules because he kept gloving the puck and taking off like a crazy man.

The "goalies cannot cross the center red line" penalty is purportedly a direct result of Gary Smith.

Really, when you think about it, it's a good move - if you have the puck the other team cannot score (if you trust your puckhandling, of course).

barfy2000

Jun 23, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
Doctor No said:
The "goalies cannot cross the center red line" penalty is purportedly a direct result of Gary Smith.

Really, when you think about it, it's a good move - if you have the puck the other team cannot score (if you trust your puckhandling, of course).

was he the goalie i heard about that used to do end to end rushes?

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
barfy2000 said:
was he the goalie i heard about that used to do end to end rushes?

He was one, so it could be him that you heard about. His coach in junior was so frustrated with him that he skated him at left wing one game, putting another guy in goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad