Go on record: what does MB do with #3?

What does MB do with #3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bargainbin

1 FOR 1
Jun 17, 2017
Trade the number 3 pick for Borgstrom in Florida! They are stacked at center, or package patches with the pick for a bigger deal including Borgstrom, As long as he is involved in the deal i really don't care. Obviously if patches was the tipping point it would need to be more.

Maybe this would pry him from the organization.
I'm a huge borgstrom fan but he inst worth the 3rd pick

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I think he should draft BPA. This draft is rated to have big drops after 1, 3, 4, 5, and 9 or so. Better to get a really good player than two good ones. If anything trade up with some seconds.

Bergevin does not seem to get this, though. Age is key as players peak early and often drop off early so the Subban and Sergachev trades suck.

Having players play during the early years of their contracts and saving cap hit is key so the Sergachev trade really multiply horribly sucks much worse than anything else he has done and anything he could do beyond trading a #3 pick for an established and expensive player. Bergevin may have some strengths but he just does not get the key aspects of team building as a GM and I have little hope for him. I fully expect yet more "oh no, why would he do such a thing" moments, and no, I did not get a moment's happiness out of the Subban or Sergachev trades, no surprise at how they turned out. I don't know much but I can sometimes see the obvious.

Not to say you should never trade high picks. If your team is stocked and you have a need for a cup run it can be an option. Where the habs are now it would be a bad and clueless move. The habs are not in a position to have a cup run now. The habs are in a position to tank for another year or two while they rebuild well, everything outside of goal.

What the habs need is a steal, a trade that looks like a relatively even trade that breaks their way. It's not likely, though. Ever since Houle habs GMs have been trying to do fair trades while other GMs only take the one sided ones. How many habs trades have been wins? Petry? Wiz? I had to go back 8 years to find 2.

I expect Bergevin will trade the pick for an old, expensive player some other team is desperately trying to get rid of for good reasons.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
My brain sais they will draft Kotkaniemi barring Carolina passing on Svechnikov. They have learned it's close to impossible to find young 6'2 offensive centers outside the draft and will pick him. It's a big risk passing on Zadina but Timmins will finally get us our franchise center after decades of searching.

DubDub

Jul 11, 2017
I'm a huge borgstrom fan but he inst worth the 3rd pick
I kindly disagree. I have watched Zadina play in Halifax and he is great don't get me wrong, but we desperately need a center and not more wingers. I think they are on par with each other.
I do agree with drafting with a more talent first mentality, but as i said I think they are on par with each other. There is no center's to drool over in this draft so it would be nice to see 1 come in that is developing nicely.

Either way svchenkov or zadina will be great pick ups for the organization.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Buffalo takes Dahlin #1, to no one's surprise. Then, Carolina takes Brady Tkachuk at #2 surprising a lot of people and overthinks it with no GM and a bunch of dinosaurs and a renegade owner at the helm. Trevor Timmins steps up with a big shit eating grin on his face and takes Andrei Svechnikov at #3.

Then we see Whalstrom drop a bit as teams go ham on defensemen. Montreal then trades Pacioretty to Edmonton for the #10th overall and they select Whalstrom with the pick.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Buffalo takes Dahlin #1, to no one's surprise. Then, Carolina takes Brady Tkachuk at #2 surprising a lot of people and overthinks it with no GM and a bunch of dinosaurs and a renegade owner at the helm. Trevor Timmins steps up with a big **** eating grin on his face and takes Andrei Svechnikov at #3.

Then we see Whalstrom drop a bit as teams go ham on defensemen. Montreal then trades Pacioretty to Edmonton for the #10th overall and they select Whalstrom with the pick.

Again, again! :clap:

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I think he should draft BPA. This draft is rated to have big drops after 1, 3, 4, 5, and 9 or so. Better to get a really good player than two good ones. If anything trade up with some seconds.

Bergevin does not seem to get this, though. Age is key as players peak early and often drop off early so the Subban and Sergachev trades suck.

Having players play during the early years of their contracts and saving cap hit is key so the Sergachev trade really multiply horribly sucks much worse than anything else he has done and anything he could do beyond trading a #3 pick for an established and expensive player. Bergevin may have some strengths but he just does not get the key aspects of team building as a GM and I have little hope for him. I fully expect yet more "oh no, why would he do such a thing" moments, and no, I did not get a moment's happiness out of the Subban or Sergachev trades, no surprise at how they turned out. I don't know much but I can sometimes see the obvious.

Not to say you should never trade high picks. If your team is stocked and you have a need for a cup run it can be an option. Where the habs are now it would be a bad and clueless move. The habs are not in a position to have a cup run now. The habs are in a position to tank for another year or two while they rebuild well, everything outside of goal.

What the habs need is a steal, a trade that looks like a relatively even trade that breaks their way. It's not likely, though. Ever since Houle habs GMs have been trying to do fair trades while other GMs only take the one sided ones. How many habs trades have been wins? Petry? Wiz? I had to go back 8 years to find 2.

I expect Bergevin will trade the pick for an old, expensive player some other team is desperately trying to get rid of for good reasons.

See, that's just a bad faith statement that's as likely as you winning the lottery.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Dream Scenario: Carolina ends up drafting Zadina at #2 overall, giving Montreal the opportunity to draft Andrei Svechnikov.

Money Pick (on record): Montreal drafts Filip Zadina.

Realistic Scenario #1: Montreal drafts Brady Tkachuk.

Realistic Scenario #2: Montreal trades down and goes after Jesperi Kotkaniemi.

Nightmare Scenario: Montreal goes "All-in" and trades something like pick #3, next year's first rounder for Ryan O'Reilly and Zach Bogosian.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Dream Scenario: Carolina ends up drafting Zadina at #2 overall, giving Montreal the opportunity to draft Andrei Svechnikov.

Money Pick (on record): Montreal drafts Filip Zadina.

Realistic Scenario #1: Montreal drafts Brady Tkachuk.

Realistic Scenario #2: Montreal trades down and goes after Jesperi Kotkaniemi.

Nightmare Scenario: Montreal goes "All-in" and trades something like pick #3, next year's first rounder for Ryan O'Reilly and Zach Bogosian.
Habs draft Brady "The Intangible" Tkachuk, winner of the 2018 "Attitude" Award and son of a guy who used to play alongside Marc Bergevin. Oh, and did we tell you that he hates to lose and loves winning? Well he does and he does!

Let's face it. We all know this is happening whether we like it or not.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
See, that's just a bad faith statement that's as likely as you winning the lottery.

I really, really hope so... Bergevin seems like a nice guy but so far he doubles down instead of changing direction. If he trades the pick for a player out of cost control it will show he doesn't learn.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Habs draft Brady "The Intangible" Tkachuk, winner of the 2018 "Attitude" Award and son of a guy who used to play alongside Marc Bergevin. Oh, and did we tell you that he hates to lose and loves winning? Well he does and he does!

"Intangibles" is a North American quality those p***y beta euros can never have. :D

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
I say he trades it for a youngish Centre. I hope I’m wrong.

Edit: the idea of this poll is what do you think our all-wise GM will do, unlike the other poll which is what would you do?
I think he keeps the pick & takes Zadina.

Reactions: Shabs

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Bergebin has loss considerable power. Let's hope he loss enough for this to not happen.

Bergevin is on record saying Titty will be in charge of the draft.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Trades down to the 5th pick trying to get JK and someteam takes him before the Habs Pick. Then ends up taking Zadina with the 5th pick :facepalm:

Surprised nobody thought of this one yet?

DubDub

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo takes Dahlin #1, to no one's surprise. Then, Carolina takes Brady Tkachuk at #2 surprising a lot of people and overthinks it with no GM and a bunch of dinosaurs and a renegade owner at the helm. Trevor Timmins steps up with a big **** eating grin on his face and takes Andrei Svechnikov at #3.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Trades down to the 5th pick trying to get JK and someteam takes him before the Habs Pick. Then ends up taking Zadina with the 5th pick :facepalm:

Surprised nobody thought of this one yet?

I mean, it could happen but I doubt it. Dahlin and Svech are locks I think. Then I am sure Arizona and Ottawa (who let’s assume is who we switch with) takes Zadina and Boqvist. If by some chance, one of them takes Kotkaniemi, well, I guess we aren’t really in a worse position than where we started. In fact, I’d still say we’re in good shape since we must have gotten something from ARI to trade down.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
He SHOULD be drafting BPA.

He WILL trade it for immediate help, because he feels the heat.

Trading it for immediate help would heat things up even more. Fans want this pick after what we endured. I don't want a bonafide 50 point guy for this pick. I want a guy who could be better.

The only way I'm not upset is if he some how trades it for the 2nd overall and then we pray that Svech becomes the superstar player we all want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->