go kim johnsson's annual wake-up to the mock draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
1pittsburghPENGUINSsidneyCROSBY

Penguins brass should be executed if they don't pick the prospect of the decade.

2anaheimMIGHTY DUCKSjackJOHNSON

Anaheim gets a franchise defenseman, the best in the draft, and the second best player in the draft.

3carolinaHURRICANESbenoitPOULIOT

Carolina gets a talented winger who should compliment Eric Staal for quite a few years, a consistent player who stayed near the top most of the year.

4minnesotaWILDanzeKOPITAR

I had throught throughout a lot of the year that Kopitar is a bit overrated due to the competition he played, but he didn't do too bad in the Swedish juniors and is one of the most NHL ready players, he has played against men before. Slovenia should be proud.

5montrealCANADIENSbobbyRYAN

One of the two best players still on the board, this should give Chris Higgins someone to pass to and a force in front of the net

6columbusBLUE JACKETSmarcSTAAL

I'm going a bit bold here, Columbus fills a need rather than take who is considered the best player left. I look for Columbus to trade down here to someone wanting Brule

7chicagoBLACKHAWKSgilbertBRULE

If that doesn't happen, Chicago gladly takes the best player available

8atlantaTHRASHERSryanO'MARRA

Atlanta needs a center and has a few to choose from, but many consider O'Marra to be the best of the rest.

9ottawaSENATORSmartinHANZAL

Ottawa could go anywhere with this pick, a lot of people has them going goalie, and while the Senators are stacked with talented prospects, but I think they could use another big and talented Marian Hossa-type.

10vancouverCANUCKSjackSKILLE

Jack Skille falls a bit further than he should, an incredibly talented player could be a steal if he pans out

11los angelesKINGScareyPRICE

Kings need a goalie, so unless someone fell further than they thought they would be (a la Brown and Tukonen), why not just take the best goalie in the draft?

12san joseSHARKSlucBOURDON

A lot of teams like physcial defensemen, but the Sharks don't have huge guys on the blue line who can run over other teams fowards and can stand up at the blue line. Sharks take biggest mofo in the draft.

13buffaloSABRESryanPARENT

Sabres are pretty much set in goal for now, after trading Keith Ballard they could use another defenseman or build the center position. I say Parent is the best player left, and that's a developing theme.

14washingtonCAPITALSmarekZAGRAPAN

Caps could use a center to be in bewtween Ovechkin, Semin, Fehr or Boyd Gordon, by selecting a responsible player who can pick it up both ways

15new yorkISLANDERSguillaumeLATENDRESSE

Fell off a bit and fell off some people's boards, he is all over the board and should get taken somewhere in the middle.

16new yorkRANGERSbrianLEE

The Rangers filled themselves out with a nice group of young fowards, now they can use a few guys to fill out their blue line through the draft, plus they already have Tyutin and Pock. It will still be a while, but the Rangers are starting to fill themselves out with some good talent.

17phoenixCOYOTEStuukkaRASK

I've long since stopped trying to figure out the Coyotes organization, but Rask fits a definite need for the organization, even if Rask isn't a true franchise goalie, it helps.

18nashvillePREDATORSalexBOURRET

Predators lack a bit down the middle, the best center left falls a bit, another guy who is all over some boards, I wouldn't be suprised if he went a lot higher

19detroitRED WINGSniklasBERGFORS

Red Wings have a tendency to draft and draft well from Sweden as they invest a lot of time over there. Bergfors should be the next one in the Wings system.

20philadelphiaFLYERSkenndalMCARDLE

A bit small for the Flyers liking, but it didn't stop them from drafting Mike Richards. A great skater with good offensive skills from the Dub to play the left side is just what the doctor ordered.

21torontoMAPLE LEAFSondrejPAVELEC

Toronto could use some help in net. Tellqvist is quickly running out of time to show whether or not he can be a #1 and after that the Leafs don't have any other sure fire goalie prospects projected to make it to the NHL.

22bostonBRUINSdevinSETOGUCHI

Boston is taking probably the best player available, at least by need, if they were to choose to fo forward (which they should)

23new jerseyDEVILSmattLASHOFF

The Devils don't always go off the board, sometimes they end up with someone who falls a bit, or they will trade up to get him, but this is the guy I expect them to end up with. Within the next year their 3 top defensemen could all be gone and they need guys to replace them...quick.

24st. louisBLUESchrisDURAND

The Blues could use some help in quite a few places, so they could really go anywhere, here they pick someone who could fly under a few radars, while helping with their depth

25edmontonOILERSjakubKINDL

The Oilers gladly take the best defenseman available, falling further than he really should.

26calgaryFLAMESryanSTOA

A subpar 2nd half drops Stoa on some boards, great caution taken with this pick as Calgary desperately needs to restock the center position within their organization

27coloradoAVALANCHEjean-phillippeLEVASSEUR

May suprise some people. Whether its the position or the name as some people have, Colorado has needs in just about every possible situation and player, so why not try to build from the net out again?

28dallasSTARSristoKORHONEN

Dallas picks a project I think, Korhonen needs to work on his skating and fill out his game, a little more, this might be a steal down the road.

29floridaPANTHERSsashaPOKULOK

Mike Keenan going with his prior record of being in love with huge defensemen.

30tampa bayLIGHTNINGradekSMOLENAK

Tampa bay had all of their best prospects graduate or get traded, so they could go with just about anyone here, some people would say Smolenak is the best player left on the board.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
Pokulok won't get drafted in first round imo and the habs have Brule ahead of Ryan on their list, I'm almost sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad