go down with the ship? or make some moves?

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Are you satisfied with the team for this year? would you make a move at the deadline (if we stay top 6) and trade a prospect or/and some picks? if so for who and what's your reasoning?

or are you fine with the team as is, injuries and all?

I prefer the latter, and hope we do not give up any prospects or picks. Timmins drafting is second to none, and if anything--I hope we move a player, or two for some picks if the situation arrives.

Undertakerqc

Dec 24, 2011
Are you satisfied with the team for this year? would you make a move at the deadline (if we stay top 6) and trade a prospect or/and some picks? if so for who and what's your reasoning?

or are you fine with the team as is, injuries and all?

I prefer the latter, and hope we do not give up any prospects or picks. Timmins drafting is second to none, and if anything--I hope we move a player, or two for some picks if the situation arrives.

I agree with you there, if we keep flirting with first place, i doubt we will unload any player. But i could actually see DD being traded at some point. Bergevin will wait till he gets going a bit more offensively, for his value to be higher.

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
would be bad move to make moves thinking that this team might go deep into PO's. that's if we make the PO's in the first place. Too early to tell, but trading picks and prospects for PO vet's is bad idea no matter what

trade DD for picks

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
I think we should trade for Iginla. A 1st and a prospect is not a hefty price to pay for a veteran of his caliber, especially if we can manage to re-sign him for next year. We are weak on the wings. A Dman would be nice too, but we should be patient, we have Tinordi and Beaulieu.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Well, it's impossible to say in general. I'd look at any and all trades specifically on their individual merit. With the general intention of keeping the team as competitive as possible in the immediate sense, but also not sacrificing future competitiveness and the overall building process.

That perhaps suggests "untouched", but I wouldn't rule out moves automatically. It all depends what's on the table.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think we should trade for Iginla. A 1st and a prospect is not a hefty price to pay for a veteran of his caliber, especially if we can manage to re-sign him for next year. We are weak on the wings. A Dman would be nice too, but we should be patient, we have Tinordi and Beaulieu.

I doubt he will come here, he has a NM clause. Doubt Calgary will trade him anyway. If they were going to deal him last year would have been the time.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
It always depends of the opportunities that arise and on who is on the market. If, as rumoured, O'Reilly is available, likely to be dealt in the Eastern Conference, and that Montreal is one of his favorite potential destinations, you just have to consider making a deal... even if it's at the expense of a guy like Desharnais. O'Reilly would provide us some really interesting depth on C.

Other than that, I don't want MB to give up any of our draft picks for rentals or things as such. This upcoming draft is way too important for the organization going forward. The only way I'd give one of our 2nd rounders is, if getting a 22 years old promising player such as O'Reilly becomes possible. Then, you can package assets, because in the long run, it's going to pay off.

If we slip in the standings, I try to unload Gionta, Cole and Kaberle for as much as possible. You keep Markov, Plekanec and Bourque, though. They can be interesting pieces in a winning team.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Well, it's impossible to say in general. I'd look at any and all trades specifically on their individual merit. With the general intention of keeping the team as competitive as possible in the immediate sense, but also not sacrificing future competitiveness and the overall building process.

That perhaps suggests "untouched", but I wouldn't rule out moves automatically. It all depends what's on the table.

that's what I'm asking. I wouldn't make any trades to receive any players (unless it's something magical) iginla for leblanc straight up.

I'm content with this team, and I'm not willing to pay the price for any players. Playoffs are too unpredictable, and with a 1st and a 2nd maybe we can move up for a special player in this year's draft.

this team will likely not win the cup, but can make a run with the current line-up. I'm 100% happy with what we have and I would leave this team as is.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
I'd do a small deal to get rid of Weber or Kaberle, but I'd keep most of the team intact.

Darth Joker

Dec 12, 2009
Canada
If we're Top 5 in the conference come trade deadline day (which is possible, we're Top 5 right now), I think we have to at least consider that that this team could be a contender.

Now, there's certain young building block assets that I would deem untouchable, the most obvious being the Gallys. I also would keep at least 3 of our 4 top picks in this coming draft.

But if the right player becomes available, the player that really rounds out our team and makes it look like a possible contender, and if the price for that player is something like Eller+Weber+2nd Rd Pick, I think we have to consider that.

If we're a bubble team, then stay pat. Don't trade futures just to increase our chances of making the playoffs. Only trade futures if there's reason to believe that something special really is happening this year. Personally, I'm pretty surprised at how good this team has been so far.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
It always depends of the opportunities that arise and on who is on the market. If, as rumoured, O'Reilly is available, likely to be dealt in the Eastern Conference, and that Montreal is one of his favorite potential destinations, you just have to consider making a deal... even if it's at the expense of a guy like Desharnais. O'Reilly would provide us some really interesting depth on C.

Other than that, I don't want MB to give up any of our draft picks for rentals or things as such. This upcoming draft is way too important for the organization going forward. The only way I'd give one of our 2nd rounders is, if getting a 22 years old promising player such as O'Reilly becomes possible. Then, you can package assets, because in the long run, it's going to pay off.

If we slip in the standings, I try to unload Gionta, Cole and Kaberle for as much as possible. You keep Markov, Plekanec and Bourque, though. They can be interesting pieces in a winning team.

O'Reilly is asking for too much. 5 million for an unproven player is a risky move. colorado wouldn't want dd, and the asking price will be high. imagine something like eller, 1st and tinordi type deal. too damn rich.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Depends the price. If we talk about top prospects vs 3rd round picks then there's a different perception. However, in most cases to get a top 6 forward our 1st would have to be in play and I'm not interested at this point.

What I am interested in is swapping kaberle/weber for an equivalent player but different type.

For instance, Kaberle for a #6 physical D-man.
Weber for a young forward not getting playing time.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
It would be unresponsible to make a deal that deals the future for immediate success.

I'd focus on trading unessecary pieces away and/or acquiring players that can help fill a need now and later.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
O'Reilly is asking for too much. 5 million for an unproven player is a risky move. colorado wouldn't want dd, and the asking price will be high. imagine something like eller, 1st and tinordi type deal. too damn rich.

I'm just giving a scenario where I'd consider a move (without saying I'd actually pull the trigger). If a player like Ryan O'Reilly is available, you have to at least stay alert and ask for what they want for him.

Besides, you have absolutely no evidence DD would not interest the Avs, and that they'd ask for 3 assets, when the price has been repeatedly reported to be a top-6 NHL player, and a good prospect. In this case, Desharnais + Beaulieu would logically fit the bill. If it's more than that, or if you're unwilling to pay that for O'Reilly, you turn the page and keep looking at what's available. But the only instances where I'd be willing to give some young pieces or draft picks (that are not in the 1st round), is if an under 25 years old player becomes available and can be acquired on the long term.

PricePkPatch*

I doubt he will come here, he has a NM clause. Doubt Calgary will trade him anyway. If they were going to deal him last year would have been the time.

I am sure we can make quite a case for him.

Is it actually possible that we might be contender this year..? :amazed:

Habtchum*

1- forget O'Reilley at once. We don't have the cap space and the resources to accomodate him. With OReilley in, the Eller's fanboys will cry even more.

2- this thread title makes not much sense. The team is in the top four of its own Conference, and they won't miss the playoffs if they keep playing that way.

3- this thread will soon be a Eller vs DD one, with DD being bashed left and right.

PricePkPatch*

1- forget O'Reilley at once. We don't have the cap space and the resources to accomodate him. With OReilley in, the Eller's fanboys will cry even more.

2- this thread title makes not much sense. The team is in the top four of its own Conference, and they won't miss the playoffs if they keep playing that way.

3- this thread will soon be a Eller vs DD one, with DD being bashed left and right.

you do realize that doubling down at the deadline has nothing to do with "making the playoffs".

It's "making a play at the Gold Cup"

bigtimehockeyfan999*

If we're Top 5 in the conference come trade deadline day (which is possible, we're Top 5 right now), I think we have to at least consider that that this team could be a contender.

Now, there's certain young building block assets that I would deem untouchable, the most obvious being the Gallys. I also would keep at least 3 of our 4 top picks in this coming draft.

But if the right player becomes available, the player that really rounds out our team and makes it look like a possible contender, and if the price for that player is something like Eller+Weber+2nd Rd Pick, I think we have to consider that.

If we're a bubble team, then stay pat. Don't trade futures just to increase our chances of making the playoffs. Only trade futures if there's reason to believe that something special really is happening this year. Personally, I'm pretty surprised at how good this team has been so far.

Is that enough to get o'reilly do you think...cause thats a player that can help us now and for the longterm

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013

I'm just going to answer to your first point.

You completely, completely missed the point of my allusion to O'Reilly. You're the 2nd one in this thread. Are people actually reading the contents of the posts here?

Habtchum*

I'm just going to answer to your first point.

You completely, completely missed the point of my allusion to O'Reilly. You're the 2nd one in this thread. Are people actually reading the contents of the posts here?

Go down with the ship sounds really negative... Like sinking with the ship.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Inputs:

1) quarter mark in the season, friendly schedule so far
2) Team playing generally well
3) Head was handed to it by the Leafs in one of the ugliest games in the rivalries history
4) Significant young player in Colorado is unsigned and being shopped to eastern teams.

Processing...
Processing...

more inputs required... accessing mood information - team on winning streak serotonin levels high, mood index high

Processing...

more inputs required... accessing management competency information - Trevor Timmins rocks, drafting mood favourable

Processing...

more inputs required... accessing gratification information - 20 years since last Cup, satisfaction levels low

Processing...

more inputs required... accessing Gainey/Gauthier damage database - Kaberle untradeable, Gionta, Cole, No Movement Clause , Desharnais useless but french.

Processing...

Erp.Derp.Berp

Answer: Leave team untouched, run program again after 5 game winless streak.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I think you always have to try and make the team better. To that end the Habs have the ability to move a player or two (Kaberle, Weber) for minor assets, and should be looking to acquire a big crease clearing defenseman. Preferably a UFA next year for something cheap. Bergevin is committed to the rebuild through the draft and won't give up much there. I see him potentially tweaking the lineup but nothing too drastic.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
48 game season so not really the best year to make any risky moves like trading 1st round picks/top prospects.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
We should only consider a rental player if we plan on making a serious effort to get that player re-signed or are not giving up much.

Trading for a long-term piece like O'Reilly should not really depend on our position in the standings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad