Go Back In Time: And Fix the Edmonton Oilers (Through the Draft Only)

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Dude going back almost a decade is ridiculous. You can make almost any team god like with that knowledge. I could make any team a championship contender without changing any of their first round picks using your criteria.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
2008 DRAFT
1st ROUND PICK
Jordan Eberle (R) 22nd overall (EDM PICK: J. Eberle) DING! DING! DING!

Taylor Hall - Logan Couture - Filip Forsberg
Jamie Benn - Boone Jenner - Jordan Eberle
Max Pacioretty - Nick Bonino - Tyler Toffoli
Chris Kreider - Andrew Shaw - Tommy Wingels
Ondrej Palat

T.J. Brodie - Justin Faulk
Sami Vatanen - Brendan Smith
Damon Severson - Radko Gudas
Connor Murphy
Not to nitpick in this very odd thread, but was Jordan Eberle the "right" pick in 2008? John Carlson went a few picks later in the 1st and both Slava Voynov and Roman Josi went top of the second. Any of those 3 would be a first-pairing defender for both your team and the real Oilers.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
this really shows that Oilers' inability to find good players outside of the first round has really killed them. I think they probably should have fired their entire amateur scouting staff if they haven't already.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Edmonton's problem isn't even because of bad draft choices. Their pro scouting to me has been some of the worst in the league in recent years and their ineptitude in terms of acquiring 'veteran' talent has been abysmal.

Obviously their amateur scouting could have been better but even if it was great, I don't think they'd be much better then they are now. I mean, they were top 5 in terms of farm ranking for a long time.

Going from dead last time contender is a lot more then just draft choices. There is so much more to building a team. Edmonton drafted decently, but everything else was so bad. Coach choices, player development, pro talent evaluation (especially goaltending) and most importantly management decisions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->